Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SakuraHime

Lobster Face

I've been on the DKR for several months now--it has successfully gotten my acne under control. Right now I only have one active zit (yay!).

This regiment works for me, but my biggest problem is having a red LOBSTER FACE. If I use the BP in the morning, my face looks so abnormally red! I feel embarrassed all the time. It's great that my acne is gone, but I cannot stand this red face.

What I have tried:

-Cutting it back to just nightly use (I break out)

-Cutting down on the dosage in the morning (I break out)

Is there a moisturizer out there that helps to soothe/calm the redness? I'm not very happy with the DKR moisturizer.

I appreciate any responses! ^_^ All opinions are helpful.

To be honest I think for people who are more prone to acne than others, the gentle face wash just isn't enough.

I use a face wash with anti-oil ingredients. Neutrogena Foaming Cleanser. On the thing it says "Controls Oil".

It certainly does control oil very well. This has enabled me to use BP just nightly with no bad effects.

For the past week I have not been using BP at all, but just using this cleanser followed by a light moisturiser with SPF and I have had no break out yet.

A breakout might be forming waiting to erupt during the time you're not using BP? I don't know just a guess. That's what happens to me.

I'm not sure if I made my question clear...

The redness is NOT from acne. I don't have problems with acne popping up all the time. It's from the BP being irritating to my skin.

My question was: Is there a moisturizer that can calm the irritation from the BP?

Sorry guys. ^^

I'm not sure if I made my question clear...

The redness is NOT from acne. I don't have problems with acne popping up all the time. It's from the BP being irritating to my skin.

My question was: Is there a moisturizer that can calm the irritation from the BP?

Sorry guys. ^^

There are a few that claim to reduce redness. Eucerin Redness Relief and Aveeno Ultra Calming moisturizer. I've never tried the Eucerin product. I'm currently using Aveeno but can't say whether or not it really helps with redness, but it might be worth a try for you.

I've only used eucerin redness relief night cream for one night but so far it feels but then cetaphil lotion.

How does the eucerin feel? lol

I know this isn't the most helpful of suggestions, but the redness will subside the longer you're on the regimen and the more you get used to BP. I never had adverse redness, but I was pretty pink for the first few months, and that basically went down to nothing after a few more months. My face is no longer any redder after applying BP than it is after applying anything else. Be sure you're wearing a sunblock of some sort when you're out in the day, too, since even on a cloudy day you're still exposed to UV rays, which will damage your skin more easily when you're using BP. That might account for some (though probably not all) of your redness.

i have exactly the same problem and got recommended emu oil which you can buy from lurebeauty.com. I'm waiting for it to arrive, but it looks pretty good from the reviews I've read. Go to my posts (from my profile) one about redness, then there's a guy called andrew something you was the last to reply to my message and he's got a topic on his wall (bare with me) called "i don't know what to do" or something, then read the replies to that. There's a lot about emu oil and it looks pretty promising. I'd reccomend checking that out, i tried once a day applications and whilst it reduced the redness, i can see a few spots coming back and i imagine it might carry on unless i switch back to two applications. This emu oil stuff penetrates all your skin's layers (the only moisturiser that does apparently) and increases the effectiveness of other products on your skin i.e. BP, and is non-comedogenic so it won't clog pores, and the more i read about it on google or even just on lurebeauty.com, the better it gets. One of its primary functions being to reduce redness, but also acts as a great moisturiser people say, so hopefully simply switching that stuff for the DK moisturiser will do the trick. Watch this space and i'll let you know how i get on, my first batch should arrive either tommorow or friday!

Thanks for the support Kim. ^^ I'm going to keep sticking it out and doing the full application twice a day. Hopefully the redness will subside as you say it does.

I'll definitely have to look into Emu Oil. Thanks Tommy!

Well, I've tried Aloe Vera and Emu Oil. Here is how they've helped my redness:

Aloe Vera- It was a cheap way to soothe skin, but it still left redness and did not hydrate as much as I would like.

Emu Oil- I was a little skeptical about this, but Emu Oil is AWESOME. I put it all over my face at night after I moisturize, and the next morning my face is so calm and smooth. SakuraHime <3's Emu Oil. When I put on moisturizer in the morning (Biore Pore Minimizing with SPF...only kind that my skin likes), my face doesn't turn Lobster Red! ^__^

I have solved my Lobster Face dilemma by using Emu Oil at night and Biore Pore Minimizing Moisturizer with SPF in the morning. ^_^ Of course I still have BP twice a day--now it's just not obvious. I could actually go without foundation! (I -hate- wearing foundation..even Everyday Minerals) All I used was cover up on my red marks. :D

Look at my regimen to see how I keep my face from becoming overly irritated by BP. Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions!

where did you get your emu oil and what kind is it?? pure emu oil or what?

i am kind of afraid to use emu oil bec. jojoba oil broke me out a LOt...

Aloe Vera- It was a cheap way to soothe skin, but it still left redness and did not hydrate as much as I would like.

Emu Oil- I was a little skeptical about this, but Emu Oil is AWESOME. I put it all over my face at night after I moisturize, and the next morning my face is so calm and smooth. SakuraHime <3's Emu Oil. When I put on moisturizer in the morning (Biore Pore Minimizing with SPF...only kind that my skin likes), my face doesn't turn Lobster Red! ^__^

I have solved my Lobster Face dilemma by using Emu Oil at night and Biore Pore Minimizing Moisturizer with SPF in the morning. ^_^ Of course I still have BP twice a day--now it's just not obvious. I could actually go without foundation! (I -hate- wearing foundation..even Everyday Minerals) All I used was cover up on my red marks. :D

Look at my regimen to see how I keep my face from becoming overly irritated by BP. Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions!

That sounds wonderful that this emu oil stuff is working for you sakura... I'm hoping it will do the same for me so I ordered the pure distilled moisturizer online and am waiting with bated breath for it to arrive. My face started to become really red I think after I started to do that scotch tape exfoliation method. Before that I was slowly ramping up the dosage with no redness or flakiness.

Oh well, I guess I'll just spot treat for a few days till my emu oil arrives. So did the redness go away immediately with the first application? So the redness is not due to the constant oxidation that the BP puts your face through but is due to the dryness/flakiness?

where did you get your emu oil and what kind is it?? pure emu oil or what?

i am kind of afraid to use emu oil bec. jojoba oil broke me out a LOt...

I use Emu Oil, 100% Pure Fully Refined & Molecularly Distilled Moisturizer from Lure Beauty.

It's a little weird to get used to, but I've had absolutely NO initial break out (I hate those). Jojoba oil doesn't like my skin too well either, but Emu Oil is great. I love it!

I mainly use it at night to avoid greasiness during the day.

That sounds wonderful that this emu oil stuff is working for you sakura... I'm hoping it will do the same for me so I ordered the pure distilled moisturizer online and am waiting with bated breath for it to arrive. My face started to become really red I think after I started to do that scotch tape exfoliation method. Before that I was slowly ramping up the dosage with no redness or flakiness.

Oh well, I guess I'll just spot treat for a few days till my emu oil arrives. So did the redness go away immediately with the first application? So the redness is not due to the constant oxidation that the BP puts your face through but is due to the dryness/flakiness?

Yes, the redness seemed to go away pretty quickly. I put the Emu oil on the first night and the next morning my face looked calm and normal colored for once! After several days my skin looked even better. Emu oil will actually thicken the skin and help the skin to repair itself. I'm sure that some of the redness must be from the oxidation of the BP but the majority of my redness was coming from the moisturizer trying to hydrate my flaky dried-out skin. Perhaps since the emu oil thickens the layer of the skin, our skin might become more tolerable to BP? Whatever the theory behind it is, I love the stuff.

As for red marks, a smaller one to the right of my mouth has seriously shrunk since I've been using Emu Oil. I do have some pretty large and persistent red marks on my chin and one cheek, but I think it's too early for any major effects to take place.

Be sure to tell me how you like your emu oil after it arrives! ^_^

I have to agree with everyone regarding the emu oil from lurebeauty.com - it is phenomenal!! I use that and their all natural exotic butters body creams (no chemicals) and am hooked on their stuff now. definitely try their emu oil, and they even add a light essential oil if you prefer it for like .05 cents extra i think

OH AND they send a whole bunch of free samples too of lotions and creams and scrubs and face cleansers and everything!

I'd like to try emu oil, but if it thickens the skin.....I'm currently using Retin-A which thins the skin... :think: would that be counter-productive?!

I'd like to try emu oil, but if it thickens the skin.....I'm currently using Retin-A which thins the skin... :think: would that be counter-productive?!

I'm not sure, but i think the reason retin-a helps the skin is due to its ability to "reform" the layers of the skin, which is suppose to keep acne from occurring. It's advantage does not occur because of thin skin, that's the disadvantage. I'd imagine using emu oil could help if it is suppose to thicken the skin. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I would try ice massaging your skin. I heard that has some avail in reducing redness.

Another thing I would do is avoid hot showers. If you enjoy steamy, hot showers, start lowering the temperature little by little (or make sure the hot water doesn't touch your face).

Also, don't ever rub or try to exfoliate your skin when you cleanse (at least until the redness fades away).

I know, redness sucks just as much as acne. ã… .ã… 

Hmmm...I'm not sure what that would do! Is the reason you use Retin-A to thin the skin or does it do something else and result in thinner skin? lol!

I would try ice massaging your skin. I heard that has some avail in reducing redness.

Another thing I would do is avoid hot showers. If you enjoy steamy, hot showers, start lowering the temperature little by little (or make sure the hot water doesn't touch your face).

Also, don't ever rub or try to exfoliate your skin when you cleanse (at least until the redness fades away).

I know, redness sucks just as much as acne. ㅠ.ㅠ

Those are neat tips! I've tried ice massaging, but it usually makes my skin even more red. Darn this sensitive skin. Emu oil has really changed my red skin for the better. It looks totally normal now. I'm always super gentle when I wash my face and never over-exfoliate.

Isn't acne a great puzzle? It's like trying to find the perfect solution. Too bad it can cost quite a bit when trying out a lot of different products. X_X *stares at empty piggy bank. XP*

Sorry It was a misunderstanding... lurebeauty didn't send it to the wrong address - I got my emu oil today! Along with a whole bunch of free stuff... lurebeauty rocks!!

Anyway, how much emu oil moisturizer do you use? And are you back to using the full finger amt of bp as well?