Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dustbunny

does accutane help blackheads!?

i am so annoyed with the blackheads on my nose. i can actually get rid of them but they come back like a day later! will accutane help get rid of them or at least reduce them a little?

YES!!! it's weird...tane brings them ALL to the surface before they actually pop out. I'm like...i knew i had blackheads but i didnt know there was THAT many!!!! seriously. it's pretty gross but fun to watch them all come out.

Saying that though, Im on day 56 or 57 and my skin isnt as dry as before and some blackheads have been developing on the side of my nose, but its not many so im not bothered

Yes!

Mine are gone completely and my pores shrunk to normal! No more orange peel nose!

One tip:

The sebum plugs (aka blackheads, aka sebaceous filaments) came back when I started taking fish oil capsules and flax oil capsules. Not like before--they weren't gooey and sticky. They were much smaller and hard like a grain of sand.

They came back not just on my nose but upper cheeks, forehead, and upper back, and chest. I started scraping them off every day with my fingernails, but they'd come back in a day or two.

I experimented several times, and every time I stopped the fish oil and flax oil they would stop immediately and not come back! Then if I started again they'd come back in a day. I quite several months ago for good, and they have not come back anywhere on my body!

i actually tried taking flaxseed for a few days and it made my skin extremely oily and made tiny superfluous zits pop up. and they stopped when i stopped ingesting it. weird... i heard it's really good for you.

The blackheads will fall off by themselves, you don't have to do anything. Just let accutane do its thing and watch. I had a lot of blackheads also pre tane despite being on Retin-A for years but they cleared while on accutane.

i had ~0 blackheads going in, i wonder if any were hiding lol.

im on day 11...and so far so good, skin is clearing up :)

I've always had a nose FULL of blackheads. Accutane has helped my blackheads since I have been on it. Today I am on Day 36. About two to three weeks into my treatment, they become so much more obvious, popping out of my skin. I could run my finger over my nose and feel every single one, which i was never able to feel. This lasted for about a week then I knew I had to something because they were getting much more obvious. I really waited until they were popping out, then I exfoliated with this Dr. Murad body scrub (very lightly, since it is for body and not face, and only my nose). That did it. Now I have maybe two blackheads, as oppose to atleast over fifty. I can't believe what a difference it's made! So yes, accutane does help!

If your nose is full of blackheads, wouldnt that just leave holes in the skin when the stuff pops out? Or does the skin heal? Im just worried that ill end up with a forehead and nose full of holes... but i guess that can be covered with a makeup primer. if it wasnt for all the side effects, i would start accutane right now.

If your nose is full of blackheads, wouldnt that just leave holes in the skin when the stuff pops out? Or does the skin heal? Im just worried that ill end up with a forehead and nose full of holes... but i guess that can be covered with a makeup primer. if it wasnt for all the side effects, i would start accutane right now.

So i have been on tane for about 5 days and I have very oily skin and lots of blackheads. I am wondering if accutane can get rid of blackheads for good the same way it can get rid of acne for good. What do you think?

The week or so when my blackheads all popped out was amazing. My skin felt like sandpaper and everytime I washed, a ton of those little suckers dropped out, like little grains of sand. Even in places I didn't realise I had blackheads. Then comes the smoothness, that'll freak you out....in a good way.

I never noticed how obvious my blackheads were on my nose until I didn't have any. Acne was always my #1 concern, not the blackheads. But NOW that I see what I look like w/out the blackheads, I'm in awe. it makes such a difference.

Accutane will push out all your blackheads, clogged pores, acne, etc..... You will be amazed. My blackheads cleared away in month 2 - 3.

Good luck.

Yvette

ive just started retin-a gel, but im pretty sure ill need at least a low-dose accutane at some point to get rid of clogged pores. If you check out my pics you can see how bad it is... and why i am worried about the holes in the skin:))

hi all,

Interesting topic since I'm experiencing the same thing..this is my fourth month on accutane and the blackheads on my forehead are so many I can feel them with my fingers..it's so bothering , they have popped up as soon as I started accutane and do not seem to be coming out, just staying there..any advice? would not the scrub irritate my skin? thanks all

Hi there -

Your blackheads will eventually push out.... You could ask your Derm. about using slight exfoliation, nothing harsh though. Nothing with acids, retinoids, etc. A lukewarm washcloth while washing your face may do well, or another product I used occassionally on Accutane is Ponds Daily Exfoliating cleanser. It has no acids, and is very gentle and non-acnegenic. I used it a few times a week when I was seeing the clogged pores/blackheads and it helped. You can get it at the drugstore.

Good luck.

hi all,

Interesting topic since I'm experiencing the same thing..this is my fourth month on accutane and the blackheads on my forehead are so many I can feel them with my fingers..it's so bothering , they have popped up as soon as I started accutane and do not seem to be coming out, just staying there..any advice? would not the scrub irritate my skin? thanks all

Hmm.... I just counted by the way, and I'm on Day 72 :dance: , but I still have a few black heads?? A few I pushed out... I'll ask the derm next time I go.

UPDATE:

I asked the derm to get rid of the remaining blackheads.... and she said accutane doesn't help get rid of them :think: ....