Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, everyone. :) I need some advice on my diet and lifestyle.

Recently I've found myself to be exhausted, disinterested, warm, light-headed, overwhelmed, unmotivated, and kind of cynical. I'm not sure what the problem is exactly, but I've been lagging behind in my schoolwork, just barely pulling myself through at the last minute. In class I'm quiet and I feel empty. I just focus on written assignments. In social groups I generally feel disinterested and irritable, and overall like everything is always the same, never changes, and that's a null, unsettling feeling. It's really terrible, actually. I can't stand the feeling. Dead, empty, null--All the time. I've been thinking I may even have Social Anxiety.

I'm taking two main medications: Adderall and Prozac Daily

I've taken Prozac for about three or four years now. I take the 90 mg daily capsules.

I just started Adderall last year when I was diagnosed with ADHD. Since then, my doctor and I have been experimenting with different dossages. Time released versus the regular, different mg dossages, combinations throughout the day...

I've been taking 20 mg in the morning, 10 mg at lunch, and 20 mg in the evening. This is the regular Adderall. Unlike the Adderall time released capsules, these regular tablets only last about four hours max. Once the effect wears off, you become exhausted, basically. It's like caffeine withdrawl. Energy drink crashes but much more severe. So that's why I take the 10 mg at lunch.

The Adderall is helping me focus, so it's not that it doesn't work.

However, Adderall is a stimulant and does supress my appetite for most of the day. So I generally don't eat much at all, which I think may be the cause of this sudden overall discontent feeling I've been experiencing. I honestly don't know much about nutrition, so maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

I drink about one glass of water a day, at the most. I rarely eat vegetables anymore. I do eat some fruit..an apple or two a day. I'm eating blueberries right now. Actually, I eat a lot of fruit. But I have no protein, no fiber, vitamins...nothing in my diet. I mean, I really don't eat anything throughout the day. Today I had some Saltines and an orange. No water. A yogurt drink to swallow my pills. That's it.

What consists of a good balanced, healthy diet? I love organic foods and reading health articles, but when it comes down to it, I don't know what I should be eating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. How much protein should you get a day? What are the portions of each food category for each meal?

Any advice would be really great. Because I'm starting to worry about myself. My skin is dull and dehydrayted, my body aches, I'm overheated, I can't get to sleep, and I'm noticing all these bad bruises on my body. I think it's because I've become so frail that it's mainly just bone now and therefore, I bruise much easier.

I don't know if my diet is linked with my recent mood, but I'm sure it's the source of my overwhelming dizziness and heat exhaustion. So again, any input, similar experiences - anything, would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for your patience, you guys!

I know that one of my girl friends bruises very easily when she doesn't take her Zinc pills, so I would look into that.

Your lack of protein, vegetables, and water are hurting you in many ways. Energy, dizzyness, etc

You should work excercise into your daily routine, it should give you more energy throughout the day.

you should drink around 2L of water a day, eat a lot more vegetables, and get some protein. if you aren't giving yourself enough energy you are going to feel like this.

About vibrant skin, vegetables, water, and fruit are huge factors that can improve your skin. There are others also, like omega 3 fatty acids. I found this link a while ago about getting more vibrant skin. Yahoo posters usually know nothing about skin, but the main response to this question is amazing.

but back to how youre feeling, you should try to get some lean meats and/or fish, some whole grain carbs (they deliver more sustained energy than white carbs), more vegetables, and more water. and excercise should help give you more energy, also

In social groups I generally feel disinterested and irritable, and overall like everything is always the same, never changes, and that's a null, unsettling feeling. It's really terrible, actually. I can't stand the feeling. Dead, empty, null--All the time. I've been thinking I may even have Social Anxiety.

* TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR RIGHT AWAY *

It sounds like your body is changing and what you've been prescribed may not be appropriate any longer. Perhaps the Prozac is not appropriate any longer. These types of meds might make you feel emotionally "numb" if taking the wrong amounts, or if taking when not needed. (I got some Zoloft many years ago, when I didn't need it--a single panic attack incident. It made me too numb to emotionally feel anything. Food wasn't delicious. Love didn't give me butterflies anymore. I got out of bed everyday, but was on "autopilot". The only good thing it did was kept me numb when I had to fly, for which I was glad. But I stopped it almost immediately and started having emotions again.) But DON'T stop taking anything. :naughty: TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR. TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR. TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR.

I assume that you came to this forum because you might be interested in something a little more holistic. In that case, WHEN you talk to your doctor, if he/she decides to add anything :rolleyes: , first question whether there are any non-pharmaceutical alternatives to what you are taking. Some key supplements to bring up are: GABA, 5-HTP, SAM-e, St. John's Wort. There are others. You might want to educate yourself online first, before talking to your doctor. You should be INVOLVED in your treatment. And some of these have very convincing results from testing--if you look online, you'll see. Oh, you might also want to see if you are due to have any booster shots--just ask your Doc.

As for HOW to eat healthy, its worth picking up a good book on it. Go to a bookstore, there's a million to choose from and it'll get you going in the right direction. FRESH is the way to go. Maybe add an egg to your daily routine and see if it helps and then take it from there. If there are no allergies or ill-effects in your history, nuts can add both fiber and protein. That'd help. Like almonds. But nuts are no substitute for a real meal. Try turkey and broccoli--that's going straight for the good stuff. Maybe a tomato, cucumber, feta salad ("Greek salad") with olive oil.

Address the "numbness" issue and you'll probably get your appetite back and the world will start to be a buffet...you won't have to think about it, you'll KNOW what you want to eat.

Hope I've helped make some suggestions. But, please talk to your doctor. This is one of those times to talk to a doctor. Good luck. :D

Well, first you need to start eating. Are on your own and therefore responsible for your meals? I take it you are a student. Are you in a dorm? Can you cook?

If not, here's an easy way to get the best protein source. Go to a supermarket seafood department and buy a half pound of salmon fillet and ask them to steam cook if for you. Then have it for lunch and dinner till it's gone. Pick up a bag of spinach or romaine for a salad. If you can cook. Steam some broccoli or wilt the spinach or something.

And drink some water and/or brew some green tea.

Listen to the people above! Go eat something now (healthy) then go see your Dr. You need different medication! I've battled with depression for years , sometimes the meds do stop working. Call now.

I'd say ditch the Adderall. I was prescribed that because they said I had ADD. That is one of the most bull-shit pseudo-diseases ever. I'm sorry, but there is no way you need a drug to concentrate. I mean, yea, i could take it and sit down and finish a whole jigsaw puzzle or something, but blowing a bunch of lines would do the same. I felt the same way as you when i took it. That stuff is so bad, and just because it makes you "focus" doesn't mean its a good thing or really helping you. thats just my opinion though. oh and everyone telling him to eat obviously never took any stimulant drugs, because you can't even force yourself to eat. your body just doesn't want it. hy do you think all the coked-out celebrities are so skinny?

P.S. I did a whole presentation on ADD and the effects of adderal, and all that stuff. Just look it up, I can almost gurantee that is what is causing you these problems w/ depression etc.

That is one of the most bull-shit pseudo-diseases ever. I'm sorry, but there is no way you need a drug to concentrate....

Just look it up, I can almost gurantee that is what is causing you these problems w/ depression etc.

NoSubstance your condition sounds a lot like reactive hypoglycemia.

In fact reactive hypoglycemia is a known cause of depression (and panick attack, social anxiety, manic-compulsive behavior, night terror, hopelessness, apathy, crying speels, phobia, irritability, anger bursts, attention deficiency)

An holistic/nutritional approach will certainly help

If I'm right than fruits is actually something you should give up for at least a month or more. With time you might even become able to slowly wean yourself off from the drugs.

Let's suppose you have indeed reactive hypoglycemia; look at this list of foods your should eat and food you shouldn't:

Avoid:

Fruits, fruit juices, dried fruits

Coffee, chocolate, wine, beer, liquors

Pickles and canned vegetables

Squash, parsnips and pumpkin

Potatoes and corn

Processed meats, hots dogs, sausages, bacon.

White rice and pasta

White bread, tortillas, crackers, waffles, pancakes and biscuits

Mayonnese, ketchup, mustard and salad dressings

Industrial peanut butter

Honey, molasses, table sugar, fructose and syrup

Eat:

Avocado, mushrooms and olives

Vegetables (cabbages, bell peppers, celery, fennels, tomatoes, onions, zucchini, asparagus)

Greens (spinach, beet tops, broccoli, chinese broccoli, kale, collard, bok-choy, swiss chard)

Unprocessed meats (steaks, roast, beef, poultry, ground meat)

Fish (tuna, salmon, cod, sole, fillets, shrimps)

Eggs and cheese -high quality cheese-

Whole grains (barley, buckwheat, spelt, quinoa)

Whole rye bread -in moderation-

Whole wheat pasta -in moderation-

Lentils and split peas

Extra virgin olive oil, butter and coconut oil

Nuts, nut butters and seeds (almonds, cashews, wallnuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds ...)

Hey NoSubstance, here are other usefull guidelines for dealing with hypoglycemia:

DON'T - Skip breakfast or any other meals

DON'T - Eat large meals

DON'T - Forget to keep your cupboard and fridge filled with the foods you need to make a meal

DO - Eat proteins at breakfast

DO - Have 5-6 smaller meals

DO - Snack on high fat foods

I agree with Danny's Do's and Don't s. I think these are really important to most anybody, whether confirmed hypoglycemic or not. Nice succinct instructions that I will try to memorize.

But NoSubstance, do as he has suggested, including the food choices...but don't neglect the root problem. You are taking meds and not feeling good at all--you said dizziness and exhaustion!! This should not be occurring. Please talk to your doctor about all of these things. Make a list from the suggestions that have been brought up here and ask your doctor what is REALLY going on and how to make a change for the better, like maybe dropping meds and supplementing, until you are able to sustain health through diet.

"Depression can result in difficulties with concentration. Depression can be treated with medication. With medication, your concentration gets back to its normal state. There--I just proved that some people need medication to concentrate.

Not to mention that those who are dependent on chemical substances NEED drugs to even think "straight.""

Yea, you sure proved me wrong all right :rolleyes:

anyway look at this list of side effects of adderall and then his list of symptoms, see any relation?

Based on the studies of Adderall XR (a long-acting version of Adderall), the most common side effects included:

Loss of appetite (anorexia)

Dry mouth

Difficulty sleeping (insomnia)

Headaches

Abdominal pain (or stomach pain)

Temporary increases in blood pressure

Weight loss (see Adderall and Weight Loss)

Emotional changes

Nausea, upset stomach, or vomiting

Dizziness

Diarrhea

Feeling of weakness (asthenia)

Increased heart rate (tachycardia)

Infection, including urinary tract infection (UTI)

Fever

Heartburn.

Take from it what you will. All i know is i took that crap and i felt the same way.

"Depression can result in difficulties with concentration. Depression can be treated with medication. With medication, your concentration gets back to its normal state. There--I just proved that some people need medication to concentrate.

Not to mention that those who are dependent on chemical substances NEED drugs to even think "straight.""

Yea, you sure proved me wrong all right :rolleyes:

anyway look at this list of side effects of adderall and then his list of symptoms, see any relation?

Based on the studies of Adderall XR (a long-acting version of Adderall), the most common side effects included:

Loss of appetite (anorexia)

Dry mouth

Difficulty sleeping (insomnia)

Headaches

Abdominal pain (or stomach pain)

Temporary increases in blood pressure

Weight loss (see Adderall and Weight Loss)

Emotional changes

Nausea, upset stomach, or vomiting

Dizziness

Diarrhea

Feeling of weakness (asthenia)

Increased heart rate (tachycardia)

Infection, including urinary tract infection (UTI)

Fever

Heartburn.

Take from it what you will. All i know is i took that crap and i felt the same way.