Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
soccer89

How to Deal with Post-Acne Permanent (?) Self Esteem Loss?

So i went from no acne during my high school years, to cystic acne in about a months time. And I'm definetely not one of the whiners who comes on here crying about having cystic acne, only to show a picture of a few zits. My face was a warzone. Red, inflammed, penny-sized cysts all over my neck, face, and chest. I dont know why I didn't take accutane sooner, but I guess I hoped Differin would do the trick. Anyways, that month of begging for differin to kick in (while I had major cystic problesm), and about the 2 months after I started accutane (before it started to work), my self-esteem and self-image was drastically damaged. I'm not the same lighthearted, laid back person I used to be, but now I feel like I keep so much to myself, don't express myself, I feel weird in group discussions, and I feel that EVERYONE is looking at me everywhere, even though my acne is for the most part clear, except for the scars and red marks.

My question is, How do I deal with this? Do I see a psychiatrist? I feel like I'm on the path to depression. I'm tired all the time (which is probably from the accutane and my shitty sleep patterns), my self image is SHIT, and I get cases where I just feel down, ugly, and not worth anything to anyone. I just want to get back to normal.

I know my depleting self-esteem started with my cysts, but now I think it's left a permanent mark, even though the cysts aren't there anymore.

has anyone else experienced this? What did you do to get past this? Has anyone seen a psychiatrist about the same kind of problems I'm experiencing?

you're not on the path...... you're already mildly depressed...... it's ok...... just fix it step by step with things that uplift your body and mind every day like cardio, find laughter, take yourself less seriously, speak to strangers, make an effort to get things moving again....

whatever you do, try to get up off that seat..... sitting at the computer depresses the body and soul....

E

i am goin through this now..but its gotten better...i feel like the bad self esteem i have now are like remnants of really bad breakouts i was getting a year or two ago...i had gotten a case of cystic acne....bad...i feel as though im a little traumatized

but anyways so even though for the most part i am pretty clear now i still feel as though people stare at my face all the time..it def does affect what i do and dont do...i feel that when my mom and friends tell me that my face is better and looks great that they are just being nice even though they insist that they are telling the absolute truth...

the good thing is that little by little this feeling starts going away...i am studying journalism and so i have to interact with people all the time which back then would have been a nitemare...but now its like whatever...if they stare they stare...maybe it means that they are looking at my scars but maybe it doesnt..either way im not going to let peoples impressions of me determine how i feel about myself..not anymore :)

i had unbelievably low self esteem that i knew needed to be fixed. i could only find the solution within my self, and just looking at myself as a human being i slowly managed to build up my confidence.

how? i have no clue... i've forgotten most of those days thanks to abusing weed way too much, but i suppose i more or less felt like having a stronger sense of self would be a step towards a greater maturity.

Sometimes people who have good skin will think those with acne-marks are having acne, i cannot stand these kind of thinking, if I have good skin in future after my chemical peel and IPL, I vow to god I will not look down on people with acne.I can really understand how we ppl feel !!!!

its not permanent self esteem loss. It is just that you still have the red marks and scars that keep you down. Once those clear up, you'll feel better.

But is it just me or does red marks/ scars get you down far worse than acne? It something like, you could get a bump down but it so hard to get the red mark/scar to fade. I think that is what makes people so depressed.