Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timmoore

is mandelic a humectant like other aha's

i have combo skin, and especially in winter. skin gets very dehydrated from water loss.

water soluble aha's(glycolic and lactic) also bind water to the skin.

does mandelic acid also do that since it has lipid-soluble properties?

mandelic acid doesn't have lipid soluble properties. it just has a small molecular weight which means it can penetrate deeper into the skin than most other AHAs. for it to have lipid permeable properties means that it would have to have a different chemical structure which means that it would not still be a AHA, it would be something else...

it acts as a humectant yeah.

hi l just found out that mandelic acid is pheyl glyolic acid.

the phenyl molcule part is oil-soluble while the glyolic acid is water soluble.

so from what i gather it is both

hi l just found out that mandelic acid is pheyl glyolic acid.

the phenyl molcule part is oil-soluble while the glyolic acid is water soluble.

so from what i gather it is both

i said the same thing in another post but yeh im asking an expert because now im unsure myself

i know. when you find out can you let me know. thansk

this is what an organic chemist told me....hes not a biol chem tho

Small molecular weight with a not-too-long 'greasy' hydrocarbon tail (the phenyl ring). Free alcohol. Carboxylic acid group (probably deprotonoated at physiological pH). I say not very lipid soluble

At physiological pH (~7.3) the carboxylic acid will be deprotonated (charged) and the hydroxyl group (alcohol) will be protonated. That deprotonation will drive the deprotonated acid into water. If it is in the protonated acid form, however, it might slip in to a nonpolar lipid phase, but the polar hydroxyl group and the polar carboxylic acid group and low molecular weight are fairly significant strikes against it going into a lipid phase.

hi . ill try to understand that since techincal. from what i gather. if it is lipid soluble it would only be slightly from the pheny ring. is that right?

and the rest would be water solube, which would function as humectant?

am i close?

thanks

i know. when you find out can you let me know. thansk

this is what an organic chemist told me....hes not a biol chem tho

Small molecular weight with a not-too-long 'greasy' hydrocarbon tail (the phenyl ring). Free alcohol. Carboxylic acid group (probably deprotonoated at physiological pH). I say not very lipid soluble

At physiological pH (~7.3) the carboxylic acid will be deprotonated (charged) and the hydroxyl group (alcohol) will be protonated. That deprotonation will drive the deprotonated acid into water. If it is in the protonated acid form, however, it might slip in to a nonpolar lipid phase, but the polar hydroxyl group and the polar carboxylic acid group and low molecular weight are fairly significant strikes against it going into a lipid phase.