Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
redgoriya

Acne and Evolutionary Fitness

Around 10 or 11 years ago, heard a man named Arthur de Vany speaking on the radio about Evolutionary Fitness. The basic notion was that our bodies are adapted for a hunter-gatherer lifestyle. That lifestyle has intermittent energy intake and expenditure, which do not balance day by day, but do balance over time. People might forage for days, finally coming upon some huge bison, which they would track, hunt, kill, and drag back to camp. Days of play and feasting would follow. However, in our post-agricultural revolution society, energy is cheap, while our lifestyle is sedentary. In this new environment, which we are not adapted for, our metabolism goes crazy, and we are plagued by obesity, inflammation, and a host of modern diseases which follow. The ideas were powerful and intriguing at the time, but being only 15 years old, I really didn't follow it.

Interestingly enough, at the same time, my problems with acne started. My acne has been extremely persistent. I've been on everything under the sun, including Accutane three times. I'll enjoy clear periods, but it always seems to come back. In fact, I had a glorious year or so on Dan Kern's Regimen, before that fell apart as well.

The connection here is that last spring, I began living the Evolutionary way. It is an easy, glorious lifestyle, for me anyway. Maybe that's just because I love meat, fish, and lots of fresh vegetables and fruits. I don't read labels because I don't buy things with labels! I go to the gym for brief (20-25 min), intense workouts maybe twice a week. Or not. Maybe I'll just play some intense ultimate frisbee.

My health improved dramatically in just a couple of weeks. My blood pressure dropped, I lost about 4 inches around my waist, and I found I always had so much energy to do the things I wanted. And it only took about a week before my cravings for sweet foods and starches went away. (To be honest, I've never really cared about breads, potatoes, etc.)

And what was really noticeable was that any acne I had went into hiding, and hasn't returned. I'm not using any special washes or cleansers, just living. Coincidence? Possibly, but I wouldn't be surprised if refined sugars and flours have more insidious effects than we know of at present, and there seems to be some confirmation of these ideas in some other posts. (It takes a long time to overturn ingrained notions like meat is bad and bread is good, but it is happening.) In any case, I do notice that whenever I get an isolated pimple, it's when I have something sweet --sometimes in social situations I'll do it to be polite-- . (Which is why I still haven't thrown away my old tube of Dan's 2.5% BP!)

Very interesting stuff. I thought I'd share my experiences with you all. If you are interested in de Vany's ideas, you should check out his blog at: http://arthurdevany.com . He is an excellent writer on a variety of topics. And he is, if nothing else, provocative.

+j

Nice going! The Evolutionary lifestyle is definitely the healthy way to go.

I like De Vany's articles a lot and can't wait till his book comes out. I think he's got some very good theories and I follow his Evolutionary Fitness advice too, works very well for me too!

I like De Vany's articles a lot and can't wait till his book comes out. I think he's got some very good theories and I follow his Evolutionary Fitness advice too, works very well for me too!

when is his book comin out? i'm interested in tryin his stuff out

when is his book comin out? i'm interested in tryin his stuff out

Isn't the diet that Dan Kern tried the same as this? Lot's of meats and fruits and vegetables while avoiding starches?

A mistake DeVany makes is to literally burn his meat ... just don't do this at home, it creates powerful cancerogenic substances.