Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

Products that display "anti-androgen" activity

I noticed that researchers use the word "Sebum Metabolism" when referring to acne. Searching google for this term has revealed a lot of info!

Researchers know for sure that Vitamins B5 and zinc speed up Sebum metabolism. They also know that "B5 and zinc display anti-androgen" activity. In other words, androgens are causing acne.

On Wikipedia, "anti-androgens" are used in treating acne vulgaris. (None of my dermatologists ever mentioned I had this treatment option).

We need to look for natural products that inhibit androgens. (referred to as: antiandrogen)

Also, Google Answers says that doctors prescribe high-protein diets for acne because protein inhibits the more potent forms of DHT which seems to be the leading cause of acne. "Those nutrients that reduce the activity of 5-alpha reductase include

zinc, soy, flaxseed, pumpkin seed and evening primrose oil."

We REALLY need to start searching for anti-androgen products (preferably natural).

We do. It's just not the current big thing. You'll see in my sig that it's what I do. And see the posts pinned at the top of the forum.

And there are still posts everyday that are about the supplements and foods that are anti-androgen. Zinc, Omega 3, B-6, flax, green tea, etc. Also, diets that prevent insulin spikes lower androgen production. That's why we are anti sugar.

Ah okay. So sugar plays some role in spiking the androgens?

Absolutely! Sugar causes an insulin spike. Insulin triggers the production of several hormones, amoung them, IGF-1, which triggers skin cell hyper proliferation, and androgens, which increase pore size, and speed up sebum production. Since skin cells and sebum is the recipe needed for a pore plug,sugar is a major thing to avoid when trying to reduce acne.

Researchers know for sure that Vitamins B5 and zinc speed up Sebum metabolism. They also know that "B5 and zinc display anti-androgen" activity. In other words, androgens are causing acne.

Don't you mean B5 and zinc slow sebum metabolism? At least, I can't find a single source that says that those two nutrients speed the metabolism up.

Also, Google Answers says that doctors prescribe high-protein diets for acne because protein inhibits the more potent forms of DHT which seems to be the leading cause of acne.

I've seen that same page, and it's a load of BS. Protein does not inhibit DHT; if that were the case, America wouldn't be going bald.

I've seen that same page, and it's a load of BS. Protein does not inhibit DHT; if that were the case, America wouldn't be going bald.

But high protein usually results in lower carb.

But high protein usually results in lower carb.

True, but how many people do you see have high protein, low carb diets? Usually they have high protein, high carb diets.

There are people here who have such diets, but I mean among the general population, obviously. :surprised: