Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

Does the Vitamin B5 cure "wear off" after 1-2 years of use?

Hi, I happily took the vitamin b5 cure for 2 years for acne. After that amount of time, I had to increase my dosage from 10 grams a day to 12 grams because pimples started appearing again...and a few weeks later I had to increase to 14 grams.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I've been sick lately (not related to the Vitamin b5 cure) and was wondering if my body was having trouble absorbing vitamins and that was why I had to keep upping my dosage.

Or does this happen to everyone on b5?

Thats exactly what happened to me as well! I was on b5 for about a year and a half before I started breaking out again and my oil starting coming back it, wasnt really bad so I just started uping my dosage again. My weight kept dropping and I just started to realize that this is not healthy in the long run.I stopped taking the b5 and my acne stayed somewhat at bay for awhile when I deceided to go off b5 compleley. Months later I started breaking out BAD!! The worst breakouts in my life thats when I started visiting this forum to try and find a more healthier way to keep my acne unde control. Im convinced it had to do with the megadosing on the b5. It robbed my body of all the other b-vitamins and basically threw my body out of wack horribaly! i know it seems harmless because its a vitamin and you do see results for awhile but if you dont plan on being on it forever the after effects can be bad.

Thats exactly what happened to me as well! I was on b5 for about a year and a half before I started breaking out again and my oil starting coming back it, wasnt really bad so I just started uping my dosage again. My weight kept dropping and I just started to realize that this is not healthy in the long run.I stopped taking the b5 and my acne stayed somewhat at bay for awhile when I deceided to go off b5 compleley. Months later I started breaking out BAD!! The worst breakouts in my life thats when I started visiting this forum to try and find a more healthier way to keep my acne unde control. Im convinced it had to do with the megadosing on the b5. It robbed my body of all the other b-vitamins and basically threw my body out of wack horribaly! i know it seems harmless because its a vitamin and you do see results for awhile but if you dont plan on being on it forever the after effects can be bad.

So you think that your acne has to do with not getting enough Coenzyme A?

Does that somehow tie in with androgens? I've been reading that androgens are causing acne and B5 is anti-androgenic in nature.

So you think that your acne has to do with not getting enough Coenzyme A?

Does that somehow tie in with androgens? I've been reading that androgens are causing acne and B5 is anti-androgenic in nature.

Wow it seems like recently we have been seeing more and more of these type of B5 failure posts.

I too tried B5 back when i was 16, it cleared my moderate acne up completely but after I stopped taking it my skin condition went to severe and the second course of B5 only calmed down the severe stuff but I still get moderate acne. So I stopped B5 about a month ago and have been on Accutane for 2 months now.

Im afraid that since Ive stopped B5 once again my acne is going to erupt and that this time even accutane wont be able to contain it. I really hope that doesnt happen.

I hate B5.

Most of my friends who were on accutane have told me that their acne came back within 1 year of getting off accutane... and I read that 80% of accutane users go back to having at least moderate acne after getting off acutane. I was thinking about taking accutane, but I the side effects and long term damage on tendons/bones sound too serious for only partly reducing my acne in the long term. :(

----

So do you guys think that Pantothenic acid (B5) uses all the Coenzyme A in the body? If you can explain further on this idea/fact, I'd be interested. I'm perfectly willing to buy Coenzyme A from Froogle.

Is CoEnzyme A a sebum metabolizer? Does it inhibit androgen? Does it block DHT?

Did you people take B-Complex and Biotin while on the B5?

And even if you did, did you take enough? Where's a forum dietitian when you need one :think:

aw man...this all sounds so familiar. I was perfectly clear on b5 for about a little over a year, then slowly but surely i started getting a few zits here and there. I was on b5 for about 2 years then stopped 3 months ago...my acne blew up and is now the worse its ever been and i can't account for it. I've been struggling to keep it in line and it's very difficult, i'm back on b5 right now giving it another shot along with a bunch of other vitamins. I don't like the idea of overdosing on b5.

Months later I started breaking out BAD!! The worst breakouts in my life thats when I started visiting this forum to try and find a more healthier way to keep my acne unde control. Im convinced it had to do with the megadosing on the b5. It robbed my body of all the other b-vitamins and basically threw my body out of wack horribaly! i know it seems harmless because its a vitamin and you do see results for awhile but if you dont plan on being on it forever the after effects can be bad.

Bryan, I agree that everyone shouldnt Overdose on any vitamin.

However, the majority of ppl who are went on b5 were trying to avoid the pharmaceutical company's dangerous acne "cures"....

I was given the choice of accutane... which ruins your bones and tendons in the long run.

or antibiotics, which ruins your liver after after 3 years of use and raises your risk of cancer by 30% after staying on them more than 4 months.

Or... taking a large quantity of watersoluble vitamin.... who's only drawback is that sometimes hair thinning is experienced.... but there is no toxcity up to 50 grams a day.

For those who were given these options, I loved my experience on B5 compared to the others. I didnt ruin my liver and I didnt ruin my bones.

So, it shouldn't be "DONT EVER TRY THE B5 CURE" --- because, although it stopped working after 2 years, it was the best solution available. I still dont regret it and I'd go on it again if it started working for me.

aw man...this all sounds so familiar. I was perfectly clear on b5 for about a little over a year, then slowly but surely i started getting a few zits here and there. I was on b5 for about 2 years then stopped 3 months ago...my acne blew up and is now the worse its ever been and i can't account for it. I've been struggling to keep it in line and it's very difficult, i'm back on b5 right now giving it another shot along with a bunch of other vitamins. I don't like the idea of overdosing on b5.

hmm.. well i've been taking 5g of b5 for about half a year now and dont see any problems with it so far. if so many people are saying b5 stops working after a year or two and it comes back worst, should i stop taking b5?

hmm.. well i've been taking 5g of b5 for about half a year now and dont see any problems with it so far. if so many people are saying b5 stops working after a year or two and it comes back worst, should i stop taking b5?

Wow, I have to say this whole B5 thing is a little worrying...

I curse the day I decided to seek treatment for what was a very mild spot problem. Before taking anything I had one or two spots a week but because I was 28 I thought that it's about time I get rid of spots all together, (stupid me).

I started on oxytetracycline, which made me worst then I came off it, and never went back to normal. Since then I have tried a number of things that haven't worked for very long.

I started on B5 a month ago and I started to see an improvement but then I missed a day and a few days later I had an outbreak, which I'm dealing with right now. I never get cysts and I now have one on my face.

It must be coming off the B5 for a day. I can't think what else it would be. I am going to slowly come off it and hope to god I don't get worst. Maybe drop a few pills off every week until I'm just on one a day.

I'm only 2 months into the regime. Could it be possible that most the people struggling with all these different treatments have just not been on the regime long enough??

No im not a sales rep, i read this thread after not having tried b5 and i quickly searched coenzye A on google as this was mentioned before and i want to know whether people think this will work so whether they think i should buy it?

No im not a sales rep, i read this thread after not having tried b5 and i quickly searched coenzye A on google as this was mentioned before and i want to know whether people think this will work so whether they think i should buy it?

Interesting thread, only 1 problem though:

Most people on this forum have an acne problem (or else they probably wouldn't be here for too long). So those who have been taking b5 for years with great success probably have no reason to keep logging in on acne.org.

P.S. I've found most acne products that I've had success with to give up after a matter of months. I wish there were more studies available on b5. I'm on 4.5 grams a day and hoping it'll work and good luck to everyone else trying it.

Very interestting. When I first started B5, it only took a couple of days to start working. I was taking 20 pills a day and it really reduced the oil on my face. However, it is an expensive treatment, and I got lazy in winter, and so I stopped taking them. Fast forward to about 2 years later, and I have been back to taking the pills, same as before, and it simply does not work for me. My skin is as oily as ever. Such a disapointment.