Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

And how can I stay away from CHEESE? I am part Italian and part French. Cheese is in my blood!

AND a yogurt at day keeps the yeast infection away.

What am I to do! Oh, the humanity!

:boohoo: :boohoo:

I completely understand! my food is all carbs and dairy....The trick is not to give up just any dairy. I give up the ones that are processed and that came from animals that have been given shots and all that crap...i suggest buy dairy from all natural food store where we are supose to eat. back in the days they all seem to have clear skin before all this stupid technology on how to keep pur food last longer....psh i rather drink my milk in one week than eat that crap that last for like a month

So i was thinking of trying this no dairy diet to one: see if it clears my body acne. and two: have a better diet. Being at college my diet consists of alot of dairy. Pizza, cheese, etc....

Since I won't be eating dairy. Is there any supplements or other foods I should be eating to get the vitamins and nutrients I'd be missing by not having milk, cheese, eggs, etc.

damned it people. I just started drinking milk again because of my fear of osteoperosis when I get old (not sure if Calcium supplements are enough). Now I see it may be an acne trigger. Argh! I can't win. :boohoo:

The best source of calcium is from dark, leafy greens, not from milk! The milk industry makes its money from tricking us into thinking the only way we can get calcium is from milk. It's not true!

Since I won't be eating dairy. Is there any supplements or other foods I should be eating to get the vitamins and nutrients I'd be missing by not having milk, cheese, eggs, etc.

lol, knowing my reaction to "dairy", when the topic comes up, such as when I order food, something you typed often arises. Eggs is not dairy. I can think of almost a dozen times where people were almost in a shouting match with me telling me it is. I don't know if it's because people see it in the dairy section, or the triangle food group chart we learned as kids that put them side by side, but for whatever reason, some people are strong believers that eggs IS dairy.

To also clear that as an issue besides the categorical misunderstanding, I have never had a skin reaction from eating eggs (keep in mind many restaurants that make scrambled eggs add in cream or milk). If you have poached, hard boiled, over easy, sunny side up, you will not get a reaction to it because you are allergic to dairy.

As far as supplements, I haven't noticed any deficiencies in the almost 2 decades of trying to keep dairy out of my diet. As said above, green leafy vegetables will pretty much cover that and more (I try and eat lots of baby spinach when I have salads).

My theory is that we humans have not lived long enough with pastereuized dairy to be adapt to digest it properly, and thats why we get acne from it. However, I have never heard about someone getting acne from raw dairy, unless they have a intolerance such as lactose - and I am very interested to know if anyone of you have tried eating raw dairy. Take f.ex the Masaii people living in africa, relying heavily on dairy products, but all raw - and they have zero acne.

I think actually it's just the heating of the milk. It's not the milk itself. Try it!

lol, knowing my reaction to "dairy", when the topic comes up, such as when I order food, something you typed often arises. Eggs is not dairy. I can think of almost a dozen times where people were almost in a shouting match with me telling me it is. I don't know if it's because people see it in the dairy section, or the triangle food group chart we learned as kids that put them side by side, but for whatever reason, some people are strong believers that eggs IS dairy.

To also clear that as an issue besides the categorical misunderstanding, I have never had a skin reaction from eating eggs (keep in mind many restaurants that make scrambled eggs add in cream or milk). If you have poached, hard boiled, over easy, sunny side up, you will not get a reaction to it because you are allergic to dairy.

As far as supplements, I haven't noticed any deficiencies in the almost 2 decades of trying to keep dairy out of my diet. As said above, green leafy vegetables will pretty much cover that and more (I try and eat lots of baby spinach when I have salads).

Thanks. I already read some other posts about the green leafy vegetables so I'm going to start buying more of those to try and move over to a more vegetarian diet.

And no I don't consider eggs dairy. Milk and eggs come from two different animals after all. I was just writing down what people on the first page were saying they were cutting out of their diet. Makes me wonder why the food industry even put the two in the same food group.

Although not eating eggs isn't really an issue for me as the only times I have eggs is if I go out for breakfast, which is very very rarely.

I am five months pregnant, and I have increased my dairy intake signifigantly..my acne has never been worse!! I have read all these posts and I am shocked because I never thought of the relation and I realize now that the milk and cheese could be my cause..but since I am pregnant now I need to have calcium, would switching to soy milk be the right thing? I heard somewhere that soy milk is an excellent alternative, but that it has an effect of estrogen levels because of the plant hormones. Would it be the same effect as the cow's milk?

Yeaahhh, this makes total sense! I'm a male with mild acne, but I would get breakouts of about 6-7 pimples a months, and they would take a week to go away. Milk always made me super gasy, so I decided to cut it from my diet and now my monthly breakouts of 6-7 pimples has turned into a breakout limited to whenever I drink milk! I think I'm going to cut out all other dairy now and see how that goes

100% sure it causes me acne, always break out in a pimple rash thing when I have milk. Haven't touched it in the last half a year, only when i tested it again a few weeks ago. It doesn't cure my acne, but it gets rid of the big pimples, especially on my arms and back.

Today was supposed to be my last day on accutane, I say supposed to because 2 days prior I developed a cyst on my forehead (first one in 2 months) and a large one under my ear. Now I am facing another month. The only this I can tell that changed is an extra amount of dairy each day. I normally did not have any, but have been have 1 glass a day as a late night snack. Since I went 2 months cyst free I am thinking the dairy is the problem so I am cutting it out, anyone think any differently on this? Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

If it's an allergy or intolerance, accutane can't help.

Are you positive? When I was 14 I was put on accutane and it did clear me up for a few years, but then it all came back when I was 18. I am about to go on an elimination diet. If it's not an allergy or intolerance, what is it?

I think I might try this dairy free thing at least for a month or two. I have wondered in the past if I am allergic to dairy (for other symptoms other than acne) and now after reading this, I think there's a pretty good chance that I could be. Might as well try it and see if it helps. I will miss yogurt though... :( I love Greek yogurt so much! Oh well...

Oh, and this article/commentary is pretty interesting.

http://www.acnehelp.org.uk/papers/Commentary.pdf

Soy should bother you if you ever plan to have kids.

I have heard some disturbing things about soy...is it true that it can give males brasts among other things? Please explain. I was freaking out because we gave our son soy for a while when he was small..and I thought it was better than milk!

Grass fed dairy and Iceland butter seem to be fine for me.

All store brand milks and butter are bound to cause problems. Try grass fed and see how that goes.

I went dairy free for 10 months and still had awful acne. Getting my milk from a local, small farm where the cows are grass fed makes more sense to me.

Since my state prohibits raw milk, the next best thing is grass fed, organic.

Edited by dulaney

yes. dairy does make ance worse for many many people! i started getting ance when i was 8 years old :( i tried everything... retin-a... antibotics... chemicals peels... nothing worked. then when i was 20 i became vegan for ethical reasons (i had been vegetarian for many years) and within 2 weeks my ance went away completely. that's when i found out that i'm allergic to dairy and very sensitive to the hormones that are present. as far as living with cheese/milk/ice cream... honestly, it's not bad once you do it... that stuff isn't good for you and your body literally stops craving it once you get it out of your system... and life without ance is soooo much better! PS! 'coal face' soap from lush is amazing! i use it to make sure pimples don't come back into my life to haunt me. if your ance isn't allergy related try coal soup and exfoliate!!!

It all seems to make perfect sense.

The main reason why no matter what I do to my face (Proactiv, Clearasil, Lemons, and even honey) i usually get these very short term results then acne just keeps coming back.

The only food that i consumed on a regular basis from the last 6 years was dairy products.....

Staying away from dairy products is difficult because you had no idea how much foods containing dairy out there are until you eliminate it from you diet.

I have given up dairy products for about 5 days and i see a very small tiny improvement.

I will keep yall guys updated whenever i reach the 2 week mark, and 1 month mark.

Also i am using Paulas chioce just to speed up the process a bit.

I came on here looking for anything pertaining to dairy and acne. This thread has certainly proved to be helpful smile.png

I, too, believe that dairy has aggravated my acne, after an inadvertent experiment I fell into these past few weeks. For whatever reason we were out of milk and butter in our household and due to laziness, we neglected to go to the store for a long while. During this time I consumed very little dairy (2 tbsp of half and half in my coffee in the AM) but no big bowls of cereal, yogurt and granola, or buttered bagels. I started to notice the texture of my skin improving (no hard bumpies under the surface) and when usually I would come home and be mortified by the whiteheads that had erupted on my face during the day, there was nothing new. My skin stopped over-producing oil, and the cystic sore lumps that usually adorned my jawline and forehead were not returning.

I thought it might be too good to be true, so I started to reintroduce dairy back into my diet. It takes 48-72 hours for what you eat to show up on your face and sure enough I started to see small red itchy pimples and small whiteheads pop up again (gross I know!)

I have stopped deliberately eating dairy for awhile again to see if I am crazy. I will tell you though, looking in the mirror to put on my make-up (a normally arduous process that takes 30 minutes or more to cake it all on) I noticed how smooth and even my skin is, and how I had no zits to conceal with extra makeup. I will have to post a picture to show you the difference. This is the first time in three years I have found something that is actually working for me, and it was as simple as changing my diet!

If there is something I have learned in recent years, it is that natural approaches are always the best place to start. Whynot? Before you hop on Accutane (I'm not putting anyone's decisions down, to each their own) why not start with an elimination test to see if there is something that is aggravating your skin? Dairy obviously isn't the key for everyone, because everyone's body chemistry is different. For example, Soy, as awesome as it can be, contains phyto-estrogens (one of which is 'genistein') which can mimic estrogen in the body, so cancer survivors and people sensitive to the hormone are advised to stay away from it. What we can take away from this discussion is that everyone's chemical make up is different, so you have to be proactive about finding what bothers you individually. It is not easy, but it is possible.

I highly recommend my nutrition class textbook (I had an older version, but newer is better because nutrition science is a relatively young field and it's always changing) It will teach you the basics about everything from the digestive system to vitamins and minerals. It's very helpful for those who want a solid basic understanding of nutrition.

'Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies by Frances Sizer and Ellie Whitney (Nov 12, 2007) Edition 11 or 12'

Cost: $20-$35 online.

Good Luck!

P.S. Sorry I don't have any before pictures (I think I have been avoiding cameras for years now) but I have had a constant barrage of red sore bumps on my t-zone and cheeks, whiteheads and cystic acne on my forehead, chin, and jawline. It takes me 30-45 minutes every night to pick at my face (I know it's terrible, but I get obsessed!)

post-134696-0-96396200-1327604133_thumb.

This picture is of me today. My skin looks pretty even..

I have a question I hope someone with some info can answer-

If it's the hormones in commercial milk/dairy that is the problem (injected or otherwise) then doesn't it follow that the hens who lay commercially-produced eggs would have the same hormone issues? Are they not made to be so that they are constantly producing eggs? And the only way to get them to do so would be added hormones, right?

I am grateful for this discussion, as well as all the insightful information on the horrors of dairy. I am definietly going dairy-free for a month and see if I see a marked improvement for my severe acne. Though I think the real test will be seeing what happens when I do ingest a bit of dairy after the month!