Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I'm sure this article has been shared before, but it's surprising to know that the study was done over 40 years ago yet the ADA or anyone else for that matter has not done anything related to finding aide for sufferers of acne who can contribute the cause to dairy. I can think of one reason why and that's MONEY! Acne and dairy correlation can be the direct cause of 50% of all acne patients who go to the dermatologist. What do they do? They just prescribe countless prescriptions for products that treat the affects but not the cause of acne. If they did any real ethical consulting they would be out of business.You would think there is some kind of profit to create a pill that counteracts what the dairy does to the body when consumed. Shoot, they did it for Beano!

Link to Article:

Dermatology: Acne, Hormones & Milk

Edited by LuN3yDaV3

shame tbh,i know this works for some people but i completly cut out dairy from my diet no milk or anything dairy related,still get acne :(

This is great to hear from all and see the thread has revived! I have continued my completely dairy-free diet and my skin has never been better. And as everybody puts it, I just came back from a 2 week trip to Eastern Europe where I decided not to care for dairy and just try all local foods and pastries, and once again I am back to what I always used to be acne-wise. But I'd rather enjoy my time and have pimples for a week or two, I know I'll be flawless again soon now that I'm back. Really sad that they put dairy in EVERYTHING tho.

Eliminating milk products from my diet cleared up my skin remarkably. It baffles me when I hear dermatologists say that diet isn't related to skin. I'm extremely meticulous-no milk products whatsoever (i.e. if bread has whey in it, it's a no-go). But it pays off-no more of those deep, painful under the skin pimples. And if I slip up, I break out. Like clock work.

It's a life style change, but if I HIGHLY recommend giving it a go. And there are plenty of alternatives out there. Aside from the hassle factor, I rarely feel like I'm depriving myself.

After reading this article (www.satori-5.co.uk/word_articles/mcs/dangers_of_milk.html) and being suitably horrified, I decided to try cutting all animal milk products from my diet and hey presto, two weeks later it was like I had a new face.

I've always read ingredients lists anyway so looking out for milk was no problem, but it's a practice you really need to adopt if you're serious about making this dietary change. I've slipped up twice in the 4 months following cutting animal milk and broken out like clockwork.

Most of the crucial points about the link between animal milk and acne have already been mentioned in this thread, which is great to see. Personally I'm absolutely livid with the government for CAUSING acne in millions of people via products they would have us believe are generally either harmless or a top source of calcium.

As stated in the scientific research in the link, you need to consume an equal amount of magnesium for calcium to even be absorbed by the body. The hype about milk is lies. Never ever trust what adverts tell you. The government doesn't want anyone to have good skin because they're making an absolute fortune from your acne misery.

If all the products containing cow's milk are more important to you than optimizing your skin's health then crack on.

Oh and I saw someone mention that whey protein is harmless, but unfortunately casein is present in most whey protein formulas, and the lacto/dairy free versions have proven to be less effective.

Edited by MilkIsTheEnemy

Regardless at 23 I'm going to start eating dairy. Fed up of not being able to have ice cream, chocolate, milk, cheese, yoghurts,desserts...

Regardless at 23 I'm going to start eating dairy. Fed up of not being able to have ice cream, chocolate, milk, cheese, yoghurts,desserts...

There are dairy free alternatives to all of those but if you'd rather eat pus, hormones and who knows what else then err... good luck.

Well that's 100% sure for me! I can't eat cheese/yogurt, lactose milk and especially milkshakes! like at all! nobody told me.. but ive experimented!!! YOU KNOW WHAT?! Those "myths" about acne are true because they wouldn't have just been assumptions out of the blue! They are there for a reason!

It's not as much the hormones injected or not injected, it's the fact that most milk comes from pregnant cows and those hormones created by pregnancy affect the milk. Either eliminate dairy or decrease your intake significantly and you will see results.

Just like to chip in and say that I drink 4 litres of milk a day and I do not have a reaction to it, however too much sugar or wheat gives me pimples.

It's worth a try for anyone with acne to cut back on dairy for a while and see if it helps. I haven't completely cut it out but I used to be so addicted to coffee with cream in the morning for years and I finally switched to black tea with a coconut milk creamer and I have noticed that my skin is less congested and inflamed.

It could be the coffee as well but I can tell my body doesn't like dairy all that much because when I overdo it I get instant indigestion. I can't give it up completely yet but I find just cutting back on that daily dose of half n half has helped my digestion and my skin.

Cut back or cut it out and be patient - don't expect your skin to be perfect after 1 week of making a change. It's usually more subtle than that with dietary changes or supplements. It starts out subtle but builds overtime into a more lasting balance of the system and the skin. In my experience anyway.

I just thought I would add to this thread and spread the word that DAIRY = ACNE.

For years I had absolutely terrible acne and was put on doxycycline, tetracycline and accutane. After accutane my skin stayed clear for a couple of months but then the acne came back with a vengeance.

Later on I became vegan (didn't have any idea that it would effect my acne) and I watched as my skin miraculously cleared up. Pores smaller, skin more radiant and not a single pimple on my face. I have been more flexible with my diet and am no longer vegan, (I occasionally eat fish and eggs). I am still free of acne. Before eliminating dairy and becoming vegan I was a BIG dairy eater - I loved cheese, milk, pastries, custard, etc.

I have slipped up a couple of times since my dairy free diet. My skin was so good that I thought, 'hey, maybe I've just outgrown acne.' Silly me. A couple of consecutive days of eating cheese, butter and milk and a massive breakout appeared on my face... as soon as I stop my skin immediately starts to clear up.

I wish I had known about the acne dairy connection earlier, I don't know if I would've been completely clear but I'm sure it would've been a hell of a lot better than it was. I was a believer tht acne had nothing to do with diet, my dermatologist said so and I believed her.

I believe EVERYONE with acne should give this a go. Eliminating dairy is a small price to pay for clear skin IMO.

Peace

Edited by her

anecdotally dairy tends to mess with skin far more than regular milk

so it has to be something directly in the dairy products. optimally both should be avoided though

damned it people. I just started drinking milk again because of my fear of osteoperosis when I get old (not sure if Calcium supplements are enough). Now I see it may be an acne trigger. Argh! I can't win. :boohoo:

Because the molecules in milk are made to be digested by baby cows they are much bigger and almost impossible for humans to process. So, if you do some research you'll find it actually takes your body more calcium to process milk than it absorbs from it.

Confirms that using milk as a calcium source results in reduced osteoporosis.

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/abstract/19/suppl_2/83S

Absorption of calcium from milk is equivalent to supplemental sources.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM198708273170903

High dairy intake is correlated with an increased rate of bone mineralization in pubertal girls.

http://www.jpeds.com/article/S0022-3476(95)70348-9/abstract

Edit: That's just what I could find on google scholar with a cursory search.

Edited by greentiger87

I always found it strange, that I broke out with acne when I moved to my grandmother's. She always had dairy milk and gave me hot cocoa or cups of tea. Yet when I lived with my mother she used to drink soy.

In my teenage years, I broke out everywhere, my forehead, cheeks... everywhere. Yet when I hit my late teens the forehead/cheeks completely stopped breaking out. But I still had cysts forming on my jawline, under my chin, and on my neck. This was completely weird.

At 24, I stopped drinking dairy milk just because I switched to water and things became slightly better. I decided to google dairy milk + acne, and I came across a bunch of articles linking them two together. I read through the comments, and saw how common it was for people to have cysts forming along the jawline! My jaw hit the floor.

I cut out milk and cheese for a good few months, and noticed the difference. Went back to being careless, and I broke out like crazy. I couldn't sleep because the pain of the cysts was so terrible. I had been taking Differin because my doctor put me on it and cited that "Life is just so unfair." Yet she hadn't even asked me, if I was dairy heavy. I've had great skin the last few months, since cutting out dairy milk altogether, and minimising cheese. However, my partner decided he'd like to have a lasagne, and I made it extra cheesy being a hopeful fool - and i'm now sitting here with three cysts, that formed overnight. Arghhhhhh!

However... no cheese, no milk. Small price to pay for how wonderfully happy I feel when I look into the mirror and see no active cysts.

Hey everyone, it's time for an update!

It's been a year since I posted my results on here about how eliminating most dairy cleared me up for good, and I'm happy to announce that nothing has changed! I'm just as clear now as I was when I cleared up initially, and all I'm using now is Dan's regimen for the few pimples that will occasionally show up without dairy consumption. With Dan's regimen, even these are few and far between, and when I do get one, it doesn't even hurt, that's how minor they are now. Occasionally I will get a cyst on my jawline even when I don't eat dairy, but I find it is usually due to hormones at a certain time of the month as I am a female. Maybe 2 or 3 a year tops. Also, they are not nearly as bad as the one's I would get had I eaten dairy. So not only does dairy produce cysts in my skin, it also aggrivates them and fills them with more pus, making them larger, redder, and more painful.

Now, here's what I find interesting. This is not the case for everyone, but I think everyone who's acne is affected by dairy in some way, has a certain tolerance to it, some tolerances greater than others. For example, I have read on here of people who can't eat anything that even has dairy as an ingredient, even if the food itself is not a "dairy product." An example of this may be cheetos, or chips with cheese flavoring..."made with real cheese." Now, I have found, even from the start, that I am able to eat cheese flavored snacks, and even mac 'n' cheese as long as it's made with a cheese sauce, such as velveeta shells or kraft. Home made mac 'n' cheese where I can actually see the cheese in there (all stringy and gooey) I stay away from that. My rule of thumb has always been "if i can see the milk or cheese, or I know it's a dairy product...such as butter or yogurt....i stay away from it." But it seems as though cheese that has been way processed down like the cheese sauces and cheese powders found on chips, those do nothing to me. The other day, I went to Mcdonald's and ordered two hamburgers and they messed up my order and gave me cheeseburgers....I was pissed but I didn't want to go back there so....I ate them. I gave it a few days....and I didn't break out at all. No cysts. Now, the cheese on Mcdonald's burgers....I believe that cheese is processed....the equivilant to Kraft American Cheese Singles or something like that....different than say Sargento Sharp Cheddar slices or something of the sort. I am wondering if perhaps I didn't break out because the cheese slices were processed....perhaps something is taken out of processed cheese, and for me, maybe that is the thing that causes my dairy breakouts. I'm happy because this means I can eat cheeseburgers again, just as long as they are made with that kind of cheese. Of course, I feel moderation is still key...cheese is cheese and I'm sure if I got enough of it, I would break out regardless of whether it was processed or not. Any ideas on this guys?

Confirms that using milk as a calcium source results in reduced osteoporosis.

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/abstract/19/suppl_2/83S

Is that why countries with the highest calcium intakes also have the highest osteoporosis rates?

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/mor_ost_...ture-per-capita

how bout a long-term study that shows those reduced rates of osteoporosis? oh-heres one.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9224182

High dairy intake is correlated with an increased rate of bone mineralization in pubertal girls.

http://www.jpeds.com/article/S0022-3476(95)70348-9/abstract

apparently cancer too http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15069693 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15203374

but seriously, it will be pretty cool when all that bone mineralization prematurely exhausts their osteoblasts into old age and they end up with a higher probability of osteoporosis

I would also prefer to avoid research from organizations that are corporately funded out the "yin-yang" (especially dairy organizations when referencing dairy products- lol) and a history of less than reputable "incidences" surrounding them.

Edited by Bungalow

Can anyone provide a list of some typical foods that have Dairy in it? I need to give this a shot..

Many things have dairy in them. A big one is chocolate bars.

Manufacturers sneak dairy into A LOT of things.

You will find dairy in smaller quantities in

Some breads

Chips

You name it.

Read your labels and study up!

Decided to do a google search if pharmaceutical industry or dermatologists have recognized this or there has been progress with dairy in regards to skin and the first link was here. Seeing this, I wanted to put some input out there for others that are new to this idea or causation.

I like pretty much everyone I imagine had perfect skin until my teens, and when puberty hit, I was assaulted with acne and welts (from reading some of these posts I would say you call them cysts). They were fairly frequent, almost always 1-2 a week, whether new or older ones I would have for weeks at a time. Many times they weren't even pus filled, just LARGE painful raises in the skin. I remember one I had at around 15 gave the appearance my nose was broken. Going to dermatologists, I like many was just given Retin-A and sometimes antibiotics. And like most of you it did nothing but dry my skin out even in the clear areas.

I started college around '93, and for the first time was living in my own apartment, and dirt broke. Not having the money for proper groceries, I started living on a diet of orange juice (not from concentrate, hate the rest) and pasta. Within weeks I noticed a HUGE improvement. I assumed I just had gotten over puberty or something. Months went by with by and large perfect skin. Then one day, giving in to my love of yogurt, I had a LARGE family size tub of it, the really tangy stuff. Well, within 1-2 days my skin went crazy. Worse than it had ever been. I thought it odd, but as the ONLY thing that had changed that week in any way was having that yogurt, I took note of it. After almost 2 weeks all that nonsense cleared up. Month later, I decided to spend my meager earnings on my second favorite thing in the world, Maple Walnut Ice Cream, and again, not a reasonable portion size. Same result within the 1-2 days.

Over the years, I had come to conclusions as mentioned in here. Anything dairy is the main cause of my skin condition. The "thicker" the dairy, such as yogurt, heavy cream, sour cream, etc. the worse the effect. But specifically, it has to be something with either the dairy proteins, or the hormones passed on through the dairy, or both? Someone mentioned sebaceous glands, and I would agree 99-100 times this effect is around or because of a follicle in my skin. I sometimes get ingrown hairs, and when I have dairy, the effect is pronounced. It is either effecting the growth in my hair follicles, and or effects my immune system response to such. An example, I can still get ingrown hairs, but it will not raise almost at all, but if I have dairy around such time, the area becomes a welt and fills with clear fluids. I also notice those same ingrown hairs during a period in which I've had sufficient dairy to sometimes be "flat" for lack of a better descriptor.

So for now almost 20 years I've fought dairy. For the most part I only cave in on butter, which is probably why I still have periodic bouts. But the biggest issue as mentioned here, is that DAIRY IS IN ALMOST EVERYTHING! Thankfully in the last few years many products to market at the bottom of their ingredient list will now often say "milk" or "dairy". Have fun reading all that and finding out most of what you eat has it. The second biggest issue I have is going out to eat. To have to CONSTANTLY ask waiter's, chef's, hosts, "does this have dairy in it?". You will get everything from "yes, it has eggs in it" ?????? to "are you lactose intolerant". I know the second seems like not such a big deal, but it gets old. I could only wish my condition with dairy was to be gassy. I would still be able to eat buckets of it at home ;) And of course many times you will even hear "no, there is no dairy in it" only to be served (as a recent example) the meal covered and surrounded in a thick layer of yogurt sauce.

Do I believe dairy is the root cause of everyone's skin condition: no. Do I believe MANY people are unaware that their condition or extent of it is caused by dairy: absolutely yes. And as a few of you have mentioned, talking to many dermatologists about this is pointless. If they can't prescribe you with an acid that will keep taking top layers of your skin off, it doesn't make sense to them for some reason medically, and possibly financially.

So for those of you with horrible, painful acne, past puberty, please try this. If dairy is a major or only contributor to your condition, you have nothing to lose. Be diligent, if even for a month. No dairy of any type (cow, goat). No milk, cream, cheese, yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese, cottage cheese, ice cream...and on and on. It's daunting, to attempt and persist, even if you decide you wouldn't want to continue the dietary regiment, at least find out. And if you can prove it to your own satisfaction, tell us. Tell your dermatologist, your friends. Good luck :angel:

Can't believe i just read through the whole thread and decide to make my first post here. I had mild acne for years but over the last few years it seem to have gotten worse. I have tried most things but didn't seem to work for me and only just last year i started to change my diet by cutting wheat and milk out. I started to notice the difference in just a month my skin improved alot, no big red pores or breakouts. It's hard to completely cut milk and wheat out, and i'm always checking food packages! I was doing so well until last 3 weeks ago i had hot chocolate at Starbucks, and within a week i broke out really bad. It just proves that i can't have dairy otherwise i just end up with bad acne. I really wished i knew this earlier 'cause now i'm left with red marks and scars.

Edited by svlady

I also had great success clearing my skin by eliminating dairy from my diet. I just recently read the book the china study and studies show that casein protein (milk, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.) which is about 80% of cows milk may be cancerous. A study with rats given casein protein and a toxic mold found in peanut butter caused cancer in every rat. Obviously there needs to be more research done with casein protein but this is my motivation to stay away from dairy

I didn't bother reading through the whole thread (I'm just that lazy), but dairy and acne have definitely been linked. Multiple studies have been performed and posted in the MEDLINE Database and I believe even a couple have been posted in the American Journal of Dermatology. Dairy was one of a few different dietary factors that they tested (including IGF-1). The consensus seemed to be that dairy aggravated the acne-causing hormones (androgens), and therefore produced acne. Is it the single, solitary cause for acne? No. But it's something to think about.