Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ah, dairy. The culprit of my cystic acne. A few weeks back, I was going through a horrible cystic breakout around my jawline. I had a whole bunch of cysts all clustered in one little area on the right side of my face. I kept getting more and more and more, and then they started to spread to the left side of my face as well. I was terrified that soon it was going to consume my entire jawline, and at age 21, I refused to accept that I was getting such horrible hormonal acne without there being an underlying cause. So, after doing research on this site night after night, I stumbled upon this thread. I was skeptical that it would work for me, but I was desperate and willing to try anything. After cutting out cheese and milk for a few days (I'd usually drink at least 3 glasses a day, sometimes more) I noticed that I didn't develop any new cysts. Then, after about a week went by and my remaining cysts cleared up to just bumpy scars and no new ones appeared, I was over the moon. Plus, I didn't seem to get nearly as much "normal" acne on the rest of my face, and the swelling of the zits I did develop was lessened. I got like 3 more new pimples, and that was it. After those healed, I was completely clear for about 2 weeks with a combination of very little diary and Dan's regimen. Then, to sort of "test" but also because it was the holidays, I had a few slices of cheese on New Years Eve and on New Years day. The result? Yesterday I developed a cyst on my jawline. Now I am convinced. I don't drink milk anymore, I drink almond milk, which I actually like better. And I can handle cheese, just not too much of it at one time, or eating it for consecutive days in a row. I would highly recommend cutting back on or eliminating diary in your diet if you suffer from cystic acne...it's the only thing that seems to keep them away for me.

Hey there, I thought I would share my experiences.

I have had moderate to severe acne for around 7 years. It's been getting worse the last couple years. I started (ro)accutane and was on it for a month. My face cleared up considerably but I started getting back/joint soreness and all my joints were clicking constantly. Really weird so I decided to stop treatment. Back/joints have totally returned to normal since.

Anyway, for the last 2 weeks I've totally cut out dairy from my diet. My face is so much better!! I have always been a massive milk drinker. I would drink it like water - about 1 1/2 - 2 litres a day. My face is way less oily, no more cystic acne, everything looks less red, scars are fading blah blah blah... Drinking so much milk wasn't healthy but I never thought it might be the cause of my bad skin. I drink soy milk now, which I really like. And I was never that big on cheese. EGGS AREN'T DAIRY btw. And most breads don't contain milk. So the transition has been easy.

Basically, 2 weeks in I am chuffed with progress. still getting breakouts but nothing major. Hopefully my face continues to clear. :D

Seriously, just give it a go - cut dairy out and see if it works for you. I saw results immediately.

I thought I would share some of my personal knowledge and experiences to all.

I'm 22 and have had bad acne for 7 years now, I've been to the dermatologist after 1 or 2 years of useless over-the-counter products, got some creams and pills (minoclycin if I can recall the name correctly), and the pills cleared my face in a couple months, completely. My program consisted of taking the pills for a couple months, taking a couple months off, back and fourth until I could tolerate strong enough creams so I can rely solely on them. For every new pill cycle, the results started fading, until none was observed after about 2 years. The creams were painful, not working/not worth it.

I haven't taken anything since then (for maybe 3 years now). And my acne got back to its normal 'pretty bad' level. However I'm a pretty confident person and can tolerate acne without it affecting my life.

I have a Bachelor degree in organic chemistry. I was going to do a Masters and Ph.D in the domain until I gained awareness of this world we live in and how it works, and got disgusted of the idea that I would end up working for a pharmaceutical company. I even switched domain completely.

From my experience, bottomline is: sick people is very profitable. Whether it's poisoning them through food and water or controlling their behavior with television and media, there are people, ultra rich people (= ultra powerful people...) that do whatever they want. What do they want to do? Make more money. How? Many ways. One is making people sick, and selling them 'cures'.

Yesterday I was doing research on milk. I was wondering why milk was promoted so much and thought there could be something behind it. It has been said slightly already on this post, its full of hormones and toxic substances. But the hormones is the best part, people who drink it start having a hormone imbalance, and communication in the body starts going wrong. Simple as that. Acne is one visible response to it, but I'm sure there's even worse stuff that goes wrong inside your body because of it.

From what I read of all the comments, people who did stop drinking milk -AND- dairy products (ice cream, cheese,... is milk 10x concentrated so just cutting milk won't help you) have considerably gotten better which only makes sense. The communication inside your body goes back to a normal healthy way. I read an interesting fact of people feeding their baby with cow milk instead of breast milk, where some baby girls would start having pubic hair at the age of 3! Think that's normal? The link seems clear. Your family doctor and dermatologists are most likely corrupted if you live in North America, I can't tell for the rest of the world, they get some healthy bonuses from pharmaceuticals, it's no secret.

Why is the word not spreading about dairy = acne? The internet is full of people hired to alter facts, influence opinions, intimidate, threaten... you think the pharmaceuticals can't afford to do it?? It would be big time losses for them. And that's why this post is likely to be attacked. I always love it...

As for myself, I stopped yesterday consuming anything dairy after all the researching I did, not even for acne reasons. I've been a huge dairy consumer since I was a baby. I just stumbled upon this website which confirmed what I was thinking. So I'll get back in a few weeks and tell if it worked for me too acne-wise.

Cheers

Edited by eddyb
My acne has only really become bad within the past 6 months or so (lots of breakouts on forehead, around mouth, cysts along jawline.) However, I've ALWAYS drank skim milk, ate plenty of cream cheese on toast/bagels/whatever, gotten cheese on every sub/sandwich, indulged in iced cream and chocolate...etc. Is it possible that dairy could have suddenly started affecting me? Or is it safe to assume that because I've always eaten dairy and only recently developed bad acne that dairy does not have an effect on my particular type of acne?

Also, I've read on many sites that yogurt is one kind of dairy product that IS good for you and your skin. Any comments on this?

There are several factors that cause acne, when you started experiencing acne it's another factor that kicked in, the 'hormone imbalance caused by dairy' factor has always been there waiting.

Yogurt won't help you. There is plenty of good food available out there that will substitute for more than what dairy claims to offer. Yogurt is dairy. It still has innapropriate hormones in it thus don't eat it. Probiotics, antioxydants, all of it, it's available in other foods and drinks so take it fom there if you really think you need it!

Dairy isn't everything. When I had severe acne I didn't eat dairy at all, no milk, cheese or even butter. After clearing up I started eating it with no problems. Not saying it's good for you, just that there's a bigger picture.

Dairy isn't everything. When I had severe acne I didn't eat dairy at all, no milk, cheese or even butter. After clearing up I started eating it with no problems. Not saying it's good for you, just that there's a bigger picture.

Yes I agree. There are other factors. But dairy/hormones amplifies them like hell for most people. If you ate dairy while you had acne it would've gone even worse, but once your other acne causing factors go away, dairy won't cause it on its own. Otherwise 90% of population would suffer of acne. But like I said, it's a personnal choice. I don't quit dairy because I want to have a clear skin. The end result amongst others will be a clear skin.

No new pimples since I quit all dairy two days ago (averaged maybe 3 new/day) and the ones I have are fading :)

@eddyb, yes...I agree with all you had to say about dairy. I read that cheese has 10 TIMES the amount that milk does...

I have had acne challenges all of my life (I'm in my late 30's...) and after seeing FAMOUS dermatologists in LA, using Proactiv, Accutane, blah, blah, blah---NOT ONE DOCTOR or PAMPLET ever mentioned a potential connection between dairy and acne which makes me believe that they never mentioned it for fear from the dairy organizations and perhaps getting sued (remember when Oprah said she wouldn't eat beef)...I'm sure there would have been tons of other implications as well of saying that eating dairy was the culprit.

I'm on my 2nd day of no dairy and I can already tell I'm not as flared up or red with irritation. I LOVE(D) cheese...I mean daily consumption of French cheeses, brie, and so on...pizza, etc...but for clear skin, I'll put hand to heart and I'll give that crap up and hit my local Trader Joe's or Whole Food's for non-dairy alternatives to my favorite ice creams, pizzas, etc...

I'll update with progress as days move along here but if you don't see an update--message me.

I was also reading this website page and it was making me want to barfalito with all the stuff about dairy--ick:

rense.com/general26/milk.htm

Edited by PoshinDC

Hi everybody,

it has now been 3 months since my post and since I stopped eating dairy, and I am amazed by the results. It confirms what others have experienced and I have now started spreading the word. I ENCOURAGE YOU TO DO SO TOO, encourage Dan, and I also want to thank the person who started this thread which I stumbled upon after reading about dairy, and realised that there could be a connection with acne.

Like others have said, dairy isn't the only factor and I agree. All it does is amplify the effects for the people at risk. Actually (of course) it has a damaging effect on everybody, but only those suffering from acne may realise it. The others will suffer from it in the form of illnesses later on. I can't think of something any more damaging than ingesting foreign hormones, well outside of poisons and such things... To comeback to 'dairy isn't the only factor', since I quit it I saw a diminution of about 85% of new pimples + my skin clearing up. The rest of the 15% could be due to the minimal amounts of dairy in foods I still consume.

Lets emphasize on this point: dairy is in almost everything. Is there a reason for this? Maybe we underestimate the might of the dairy industry. Quitting dairy will require you to look at the ingredient list of everything you purchase at the grocery store, but its not a bad thing. For this reason my decrease in new pimples has been somewhat slower because through the 2 first months I realised every week I still had an important source of dairy somewhere. Be aware of WHEY. Its in a whole lot of things such as my favorite kind of protein bars I quit taking. Whey is the concentrate of dairy. Was quitting my favorite kind of protein bars due to an insane level of whey easy? Yes. Now I eat a wide variety of nuts which are even more delicious and full of vitamins, nutrients and the good kind of fats. If you still think fat = acne, I'm the living proof it's not. Nuts are about 80% fat and I eat about a kilo per week. No pimples. One protein bar? 3-4 new pimples the day after. And how about pizza, how everybody agrees pizza will make you break out. It will, but not because of the fat, because of the cheese!

I was just on a trip back home to visit the family for a week, so for the first time in 3 months I ate as bad as I used to. I ate pizza, milk in omelettes, etc. At the end of the week, my face was covered in acne, and so was my body. It served as a test to confirm that I was still susceptible to acne and it just did not disappear on its own naturally, and I'm glad I did it. But I won't ever do it again!

So again, try it. Every dairy products you consume. Find substitutes. I make homemade nut milk for my cereals and recipes. It's easy and healthy. Do it too. Most important of all, tell your success story to everyone you know. Without the success stories written here I might have not tried it myself. Talk about it to friends, email everybody you know on this site, link to this thread, make people smile again! Thanks for your support and comments!

Eddyb

I couldn't imagine going without tea or coffee or chocolate. I tried it for one day and I failed... I'm so pathetic =P. I see these things all the time "Does X cause Acne?", I doubt if there is a single major food that has not been accused of leading to acne.

Edited by TroChr

wow, i just read this and i am shocked....that is because for as long as i can remeber i have been eating alot of ice cream and yogurt every single day. Mostly yogurt just because i really love it. I have already stopped drinking milk.

Thanks to everyone who has shared their results, especially the OP and eddyb.

Here's my story!

My acne has never been really bad; I would get a few and it'd go away eventually. Lately though now if I get acne, I'm left with discolorations on my face that don't go away for ages! So I've been trying to prevent acne at all costs.

Recently my face broke out quite a lot on my cheeks (a place where I rarely ever get acne) and it was pretty upsetting! When I read this thread and I thought about the time frame, it collaborates to when I was given a block of smoked Gouda cheese. I would eat it every day, and I eat cereal and yogurt often. Also, I do like adding milk to my oatmeal or eating the occasional cookie, cake or ice cream.

I've cut dairy completely out for the past week and I have not had any acne break outs. I also have been doing the extra virgin olive oil treatments on my face. I don't know if it's the dairy, EVOO or both, but so far no acne and my face is healing.

I will continue both treatments and will come back and update here.

If dairy is the cause of my acne, I will cut it out of my diet. I can avoid things like pasta, pizza, yogurt and ice cream pretty easily as I watch my weight. I don't put cream in my coffee and I like almond and soymilk a lot. The occasional pastry and cube of cheese though? That'll be harder!

Edited by Pinapina

Dairy for me accounts for probably 30% of mine.

a) 30% dairy (milk, cheese, etc)

b) 20% fried foods

c) 20% sweet foods (like fruit or anything with sugar added to it)

d) 30% hormones (stress, some fucked up shit in my body dont know what, lack of sleep, worrying, ability to not detatch, girl troubles, etc)

this is only what i can account for. if i follow exactly everything ie do not eat a, b or c. and control d as best as i can with suppliments and good diet and trying to control my lifes problems etc... it will mean my face is only 70% perfect. i can add an additional 15% by taking antibiotics in combination with the above, and another 5% with dans reg... but 10% of my face will still break out with something from time to time - which i cannot account for

so there is still something missing and i dont know what yet.

I can honestly say that stopping drinking milk has changed my life. I've always had mild-moderate acne, often my skin would be pretty clear, but with one or two big pimples, deep under the skin that would take weeks to heal.

I stopped drinking milk a few times -totally by accident -and this is how I realized the connection between milk and my skin. The first time was last summer -I spent a month in Africa and didn't drink milk because there wasn't any. When I first went to Africa I thought my acne would probably get worse since I would be sweaty all the time and not have access to water as much as here in the states. While I was there, my skin was virtually perfect -certainly no deep pimples under the skin. I didn't make the milk connection at that time though.

Then last spring (back home in the states) I decided that I would change my morning breakfast routine. Prior to the change I would usually have cereal with milk, or a milk/breakfast shake. I started just eating protein bars in the morning for breakfast. As a result I ran out of milk in the house and just never bought it again. Once a month had gone by I was so happy about my skin that I tried to think of what I was doing differently and it occurred to me that the only times my skin has been totally clear was when I wasn't drinking milk. I totally believe the hormones (even the natural hormones in "hormone fee" milk) worsened my acne.

To be clear, I am still eating dairy products -granted I have tried to reduce the amount of cheese I eat (have never been a yogurt or cottage cheese person), but I am eating normally -just NO MILK. Also, I am using Dan Kern's BP treatment one a day. I did have one or two breakouts, however they cleared up MUCH faster, and I am sure they were due to a new hair gel I was using. Once I realized the hair gel had to be the culprit (I have very long hair -just having it blow in my face is risky for my skin) I stopped using the product (Biolage Smooting Gel) about two months ago and my skin has been totally perfect.

Ok, so a few years ago, I would have an instant breakfast everymorning (basically a glass of milk with powdered chocolate with vitamins and such) and my skin was GREAT.

I have thus stopped drinking that (just got plain sick of it) and my skin is awful. My doctor says my skin is hormonal, but I dont get cysts. Now I'm scared to go back to drinking it anyways, but I eat ice cream, chocolate, cheese ect... and again. My skin for the first time in my life has acne. (I'm a 20 year old female) I personally think it could be stress related...

Is it possible dairy just flat out doesnt effect me, or could I have just developed an intolernce to it recently???

I have been on a dairy-free diet for about 3 months now and can definitely say that there is some kind of linkage between certain forms of acne (cystic) and dairy. I am 28 years old and had skin problems since high school. I have tried everything under the sun for treating it with varying results but nothing has completely eliminated the problem.

About 3 years ago or so I came across this site and Dan's Regimen. I had used BP before but the kind you get with Oxy. So at that point I had already been using the chemical for 10 years off and on mainly for spot treatment and bad breakouts. I decided to order the products here to accompany Dan's process for clear skin. It helped a little, but again not completely. I would often get bad breakouts, cystic and regular to the point that I didn't want to face anyone or leave the house. It wasn't as bad a many folks get where it looks painful but still affected me emotionally nonetheless.

I began to search for other possible causes of acne because I was already taking care of my skin to rid oil, dirt, etc and was still not getting clear skin. Long story short, after deep research, I considered the possibility of having some kind of skin disorder such and rosacea or seborrheic dermatitis. The signs were there for many of those disorders such as redness and flakiness. I started taking vitamins as suggested by various sites. One vitamin in particular was B6, which was shown having a deficiency of can cause skin disorders. After a month of taking it with no results I continued my research.

Three months ago I somehow came across some interesting information about a correlation between a dairy sensitivity and acne. I thought "why not, it doesn't cost me anything and I don't have to expose my skin to any more harsh chemicals." So I decided to go on a dairy-free diet. Now, to my great surprise, I don't get bad breakouts or cystic acne on my chin, around my mouth or jawline anymore. I do get the occasional few, but easily manageable. I also don't get any more thick red bumps/pimples on the lower part of the back my head. My chest and back are also clear which was another problem before.

I can say that eliminating ALL forms of dairy is VERY difficult. Dairy is in almost everything, so consuming it is likely if you are not completely careful and aware of what you are eating. There are plenty of resources around the Internet that can help determine what foods to avoid and replacements for dairy. If you have acne and cystic acne, this may not be a solution for you but it was for me. Just don't take this topic lightly. There isn't scientific proof yet to determine the exact reason why this correlation exists, but the theory has been around for over 5 years now maybe longer.

I would like to advise that you really consider the effects of prolonged use of harsh chemicals such as benzoyl peroxide on your skin. I'm not saying it's the direct cause, but I have noticed my skin looking and feeling very aged. This could be due to using this chemical for over 10 years and not using the proper SPF moisturizer. Plus, not to mention all the clothes I have ruined from the bleaching properties of BP. Aside from that, it is still one of the few products that can help acne sufferers.

Today, all I use on my skin is a mild cleanser (Cetaphil or Purpose) and a non comedogenic, oil-free SPF moisturizer (Purpose or Coppertone with SPF 50). I still have some of Dan's BP lying around for very occasional spot treatment. I also take vitamins to help my skin and body as well. I take fish oil, vitamin D (with Calcium), Zinc, Vitamin C and a One A Day Multivitamin. I also drink a lot more water than I have in the past. At this point I hope I am on my way to repairing years of damage to my skin and hope it's not too late to get a great complexion like I had before acne problems. I hope this helps at least one other person out there as I've been wanting to write something up about this topic for a while now to express my experience.

Thanks.

Edited by LuN3yDaV3

i could not resist and i had ice cream on friday, broke out on saturday. i had ice cream again for some stupid reason on sunday (i can just never say no when we're all out and other people are eating it!).. and monday, i broke out. 2 nasty ones near my lip

anyway, that sure taught me a lesson (or 2), better get back to eating blended spinach with an apple and tins of tuna, YAY!..... :wall:

omg yes. I had FLAWLESS skin up until senior year of high school when I started eating cheese (which I never did before). I have never been a fan of dairy, but I do like skim milk in my coffee, love ice cream (would eat a tiny bit a few times a week at night to get to sleep, ah jeeze) and who doesn't love butter.

Once I looked back, I'm almost 21 now, and started reading about dairy, skin and hormones. I put 2 and 2 together. I have mild to moderate acne and about a week ago, maybe even less, I said screw it, I'm not eating dairy or simple sugars. For the past 2 to 3 weeks I've been drinking at least 90 ounces of water a day, taking a measly 400 mg of Omega3.

First of all Almond Milk is amaaaaazing. Secondly I have noticed the difference in my skin, immediately. I had ice cream yesterday (cause I'm a sucker) and today my skin just looked duller and I could feel a new zit emerging.

This is the only time I've seen a semblance of getting better.

Anyone know whether its an intolerance to lactose, or an intolerance to milk protein (casein) that causes the acne? And what are the chances of being intolerant to both?

Anyone know whether its an intolerance to lactose, or an intolerance to milk protein (casein) that causes the acne? And what are the chances of being intolerant to both?

It must be the milk protein or could be the hormones in the milk. I don't know the chances of being both intolerant and sensitive (both sound like a personal problem LOL). Usually intolerance means that your body doesn't have enough lactase to help digest milk (lactose). The sensitivity as being discussed here seems to be some other physiological reaction to something in the dairy that causes reactions in the skin.

I thought it was an allergy so I went to an allergy specialist recently and had to pay $1000 out of pocket after insurance paid the other $4000 (I think I was over charged). All the trouble just for them to tell me I'm not allergic to milk and a laundry list of other things that I am allergic to.

Now I don't see how it isn't some form of allergy because after eating any kind of dairy, my eyes start to burn and I get a slight rash on my face. Further consumption of dairy then leads to cystic breakouts for me.

Today was supposed to be my last day on accutane, I say supposed to because 2 days prior I developed a cyst on my forehead (first one in 2 months) and a large one under my ear. Now I am facing another month. The only this I can tell that changed is an extra amount of dairy each day. I normally did not have any, but have been have 1 glass a day as a late night snack. Since I went 2 months cyst free I am thinking the dairy is the problem so I am cutting it out, anyone think any differently on this? Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

I've cut out all cottage cheese and milk 5 weeks ago and have seen a big difference in my skin. The hormones in those products were toxic. I now wake up knowing my skin isn't breaking out. Research the web about the hazards of the hormones in dairy for our acne prone skin. Please stop all dairy.

I was doing really good by avoiding dairy in my daily diet over the past few months. I cut it out completely, was really careful of what I was eating and the ingredients. I was starting to feel a lot better because I was on my way to having a clearer complexion for my efforts. My sister's wedding was this past weekend and I ended my dairy-free streak by having mashed potatoes with some red chile. I just couldn't resist. Now here I am a couple days later with a bunch new breakout spots and depressed again. Curse you dairy!