Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does dairy have an effect on non-inflamed acne (blackheads, closed comedones, etc)? Or is it usually cystic acne?

I know everyone is different but I was just curious if anyone had non-inflamed acne and cut out dairy and it smoothed their skin.

Thanks!

I drink dairy all the time, and it doesn't effect my acne. I'm pretty much the opposite of lactose intolerant, I neeeeeeeeeeed milk! XP I quit milk for a couple weeks at one point, and chocolate. My acne, I could swear it got worse. I was so depressed because of the lack of things I loved, it affected my skin.

Obviously, my acne isn't related to my diet.

A couple weeks is not a long enough trial IMO. It could take that long just to have a hormonal acne outbreak from a high dairy meal. In other words, two weeks after you quite dairy you can still be reacting to the dairy you ate two weeks prior. I would say two months is a good trial. You're chemical/hormonal system in some ways is like a large ship... it takes a long time to turn it around. I just saw a commercial for some prescription drug and it said "don't donate blood until six months after you quit the drug". hmmmmm why would they say that if it didn't alter the system in such a way that took a long time to reverse?

the whole dairy thing connected to acne baffles me.

i don't touch dairy and drink lactose free "milk".

yet still acne. soo

Ummmmm lactose free "milk" is still milk, and milk is dairy. Just because it's lactose free doesn't mean it's hormone free.

Cutting out dairy for the past months has only helped me getting rid of cystic acne. Everything else is just about the same at the moment..

Only??? Getting rid of cycstic acne is a huge deal. Why are you downplaying it?

Interesting theory. I think for many dairy allergies or hormones from milk may be the problem, but its definitely not for everyone.

I can throw my experience into the mix from when I did the exact opposite of cutting dairy out. Awhile back I went on a "gallon of milk a day" in addition to whatever you normally eat "diet" to gain some pounds while weightlifting. (gained 15 pounds! lol) I normally have mild-medium full body acne, have had it for the past 10 years. Did this diet for 3 months. Acne wasn't any worse than normal, maybe even a little better due to all the fluids I was drinking. If dairy was behind it you'd think I would have deteriorated at least a bit. Not saying it isn't the cause for a select group, but definitely not a be all end all thing.

I'll just throw my experience of dairy into the mix considering cutting it out has helped my skin virtually clear itself. I did falter last night and had some cheese on toast and have noticed a cyst appear on my back and chest so i think my acne is related to dairy.

Usually if i'm in a hurry in the morning i'll have cereal with Soya Milk (i've ever taken a custom to having some cereals with just water :think:) which i've found to be a handy substitute to milk.

Man i wish i read this about a week ago, because ive been having cereal about two times a day and alot of yogurt/oreos and ice cream sandwiches hehe and i can def. tell my acne has got worse.

But i have a question on whey protein. I go to the gym alot and do alot of lifting. I take two scoops of whey protein with milk usually so im asking does whey protein go under dairy and will it affect my acne?

^gee so milk ang yogurt can trigger acne?

im a bit confused cause i just realized that after taking vitamins for my bones i had mild pimples?

I have similar experience with taking multi-vitamins. I believe it must be something they coat the vitamins with that has a milk product in it.

Man i wish i read this about a week ago, because ive been having cereal about two times a day and alot of yogurt/oreos and ice cream sandwiches hehe and i can def. tell my acne has got worse.

But i have a question on whey protein. I go to the gym alot and do alot of lifting. I take two scoops of whey protein with milk usually so im asking does whey protein go under dairy and will it affect my acne?

If you are allergic to dairy, as I am, whey protein will give you acne. It has casein in it which is a milk protein. Whenever I consume anything with casein, I break out. There are soy protein powders that don't contain casein that I sometimes use. I feel that the whey gives better results but I'd rather take the soy and not have acne.

Now that I come to think of it, I think this is exactly caused my huge cystic acne breakout. Since last Christmas I have been on a weight gain, milk-based protein drink, and drank two cups of it every day. My breakout started then, but I never really drew the connection there.

I stopped drinking the weight gain milk because it gave me bad gas, but the cystic acne stayed with me. I just recently got rid of them with antibiotics.

I guess the milk really messed with my hormones.

you guys dont know about whey protein. Its filtered so that it doesnt contain casein. Its only the whey which is a fast digesting protein. Milk breaks me out, whey protein does not. So i dont believe whey protein is an issue.

Same dairy allergy here. If I eat pizza, mac & cheese, cheeseburger, ice cream, frozen yogurt, milk, etc I can count on having painful cysts and whiteheads for the rest of the week.

BP helps to tame them, but If I've consumed dairy then regardless of the medication I'll breakout really bad.

Most doctors seem to live in there own little world and will tell you otherwise, but if you're really ready for your acne to disappear, then cut out dairy. Of course not all acne is dairy-triggered- But the quality and type of foods you eat can have a big impact.

If cutting out dairy doesn't seem to do the trick, try an elimination diet- Cut out common trigger foods (dairy, wheat, eggs, nuts, corn, barley, pork, shellfish) for a week (obviously find food that doesn't fall in those categories- It's only for a week). Slowly add in trigger foods over the next couple of weeks, one at a time. You might be surprised to find that a handful of them might have negative effects. Dairy and wheat were HUGE triggers for me (Not only for acne).

The idea is to find out what affects you. It can be difficult to modify a diet, but in the long run it may be worth it.

Adding to that- As others have said here, cow dairy is not fit for human consumption... Period. The whole "calcium and Vit. D" thing is pushed by the dairy industry. Replace it with cal & vit d supplements. Or try soy milk- Same texture, decent taste (obviously not the same creamy taste).

you guys dont know about whey protein. Its filtered so that it doesnt contain casein. Its only the whey which is a fast digesting protein. Milk breaks me out, whey protein does not. So i dont believe whey protein is an issue.

That depends entirely on the whey protein product in question. Cytosport Muscle Milk for example has casein as well as other ingredients such as canola oil and possibly low quality MCTs which can trigger acne and degrade overall health if consumed daily. The best whey protein you can buy would be one that contains whey only as an isolate which is 90-95% protein. Products like Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex and Nature's Best Isopure are isolate whey protein supplements.

Adding to that- As others have said here, cow dairy is not fit for human consumption... Period. The whole "calcium and Vit. D" thing is pushed by the dairy industry. Replace it with cal & vit d supplements. Or try soy milk- Same texture, decent taste (obviously not the same creamy taste).

I agree. A person doesn't need to supplement more than 300-500mg of calcium a day anyways because you'll get the rest from your diet if you're eating right regardless if you have eliminated all dairy. You don't want to be consuming more than 1000-1200mg of calcium a day so if your taking a 1,000mg calcium supplement along with your diet you're going to go well over that. Also you get calcium from other supplements as well such as if you take Vitamin C in the form of Ester-C or Calcium Ascorbate.

Vitamin D however I would recommend making sure you supplement because even a diet full of dairy is probably not going to give you enough since we're finding out now most people in America are vitamin D deficient. You should get a 25-hydroxyvitamin D test at your doctor and adjust your dosage so that blood levels are between 50-80 ng/mL (or 125-200 nM/L) or at least 40-50 ng/mL year-round. Some may need to take 5,000-10,000+ IU of vitamin D a day just to maintain those levels if you don't spend enough time outdoors in the sun without sunscreen.

Say no to soy milk, too. People need to stop reccommending that garbage.

Coconut milk taste just like cows milk, and almond milk is good, too. Just please, stop with the soy milk.

Thank you so much for posting that. I've been saying this all the time. What i really wanna know is why do most people immediately think of soy milk when thinking of a substitute for milk? I mean, why do people immediately go for the next top allergen, it makes no sense, especially when there are far better and safer substitutes out there that don't play around with your hormones and depress your thyroid.

Adding to that- As others have said here, cow dairy is not fit for human consumption... Period.

What a stupid, unscientific, faddist thing to say.

ive cut out all dairy for the past couple weeks and my skin is SOOO much better.. i had mild to moderate acne but now i havent had any new acne in a while..

at home i would have a pretty good amount of milk and cottage cheese..

now at college i have a lot more milk and cottage cheese and my acne got worse so i figured it HAD to be the dairy, but i really didnt wanna give it up because it's such a huge part of my diet.

well ive given it up and my face is a lot better because of it.. but it really does suck not being able to consume dairy :(

Doesn't suck that bad! After awhile, you'll be like, omg milk gross! Or dairy gross!

Sometimes I get tempted to eat something that has dairy in it. Like an hour ago, had a cake with white chocolate and cream and wow.. I might see stuff soon enough from that.

Anyways, yes, soy milk is bad too.

It might make you ~~ lol.

Anyways, rice milk was good for me. Though I don't have anymore. Cost too much.

Soy Milk, Almond milk, any type of cow milk breaks me out. Coconut milk, bleh. I don't like coconut anymore since I cut myself good with a knife while cutting the white stuff off the shell.....

I got rid of my acne about 2 months ago (Light therapy with a mix of some other practices). About a month ago I started working on my next mission: Body building, which lead me to start drinking a 1/2 a gallon of milk a day, needless to say I have not broken out again at all.

Why do I mention this? Simple: People should not get the impression that 1 thing can be a cure all or cause for acne.

That being said: Congrats to all the people who DID find a way to get rid of your acne :)

I'm 21 and basically back in December 08 when i was 20 i broke my foot and was inside for time, i never really had bad acne or anything like that, the odd spot here and there.

When i was inside i ate cheese sandwiches all the time, and just had random bits of cheese here and there, i started to notice that after a week or so i started getting inflamed with spots, and i did not know why, after looking it up on the internet, i realised it was the cheese that was making me erupt in so many spots, as well as staying in doors.

Also i read that something in the dairy has fungi in it and stays in your system, so for the past few months after i've had out breaks still even though ive not been eating cheese cause its still in my system, but it was no where near as bad as when i was eating cheese all the time.

Basically drink loads of water, do lots of extersise, eat fresh fruit, raw veg (CUCUMBERS), cut out sugar as much as you can if you have 2 sugars in your tea have one or try drinking green tea! If you think its horrible try green tea with lemon or any other flavours, it's really really good for you google green tea and acne! try taking multi vitamins and iron too.

Now i dont really have any spots except the odd one, and am back to how i was before i broke out, and ive completely cut out cheese all together, and cut down on milk intake and im fine, i never really got spots bad up untill i started eating vast amounts of cheese and was just sat indoors for 3 months.

Adivice:

WATER at least 2 Ltrs per day if you're a teenager and suffer bad.

GREEN TEA (Is the best thing you can drink, better than water!)

TEA TREE OIL (Wipe over face in the morning and before bed with a cotton wool, it's better than any spot treatment!)

Fresh fruit

Raw veg

Exercise

A bit of sunlight

Fresh air

Cut down on dairy (mainly cheese)

Cut down on sugar

Shower twice a day

I know it seems to be an epic list but if you just put them into your daily routine gradually you'll notice your acne going away.

But drinking milk in small amounts for me seems fine, semi skimmed or skimmed milk is best. It's simple though if you have too much of something its bad for you, so if you have bits of cheese here and there and milk it will be fine, just in large amounts its bad, which i found out!

Edited by Random09

i first noticed the dairy/acne connection when i had to stop eating dairy for other medical reasons. i noticed that my acne got a LOT better and after a while when i could eat cheese/yogurt/milkshakes again i got a huge flareup. after a few weeks it occurred to me that dairy might be a trigger so i completely cut it out of my diet. over the past 10 months i've tested this over and over and sure enough -- if i avoid dairy products (and harsh face washes, for that matter) for a few weeks my skin stays clear and smooth. as soon as i eat some cheese or butter or something the whiteheads appear overnight and depending on how much i've eaten the breakout lasts for a week or so. i have not had any cystic acne since going off dairy and i'm about 90-95% clear. i'm thinking about trying the elimination diet to see if something else is triggering the small remaining bumps but i just haven't had the time to sort it all out. but yeah, for me dairy definitely equals acne. took 12 years but i'm glad to have figured it out. wish someone had told me!!

But drinking milk in small amounts for me seems fine, semi skimmed or skimmed milk is best.

It's obvious you haven't seen that study that found a connection to acne in boys who drank low- or non-fat milk, but not whole milk. For that and other health reasons which I won't go into here, I suggest you stick with whole milk only.

My acne has only really become bad within the past 6 months or so (lots of breakouts on forehead, around mouth, cysts along jawline.) However, I've ALWAYS drank skim milk, ate plenty of cream cheese on toast/bagels/whatever, gotten cheese on every sub/sandwich, indulged in iced cream and chocolate...etc. Is it possible that dairy could have suddenly started affecting me? Or is it safe to assume that because I've always eaten dairy and only recently developed bad acne that dairy does not have an effect on my particular type of acne?

Also, I've read on many sites that yogurt is one kind of dairy product that IS good for you and your skin. Any comments on this?

Edited by iluvkittenz