Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i accidently have been eating milk products for months with no major problems so im assuming that only straight up milk bothers my skin. i eat a lot of frozen dinners. stouffers, lean cuisine and stuff like that. i was shocked when i started reading the labels a few weeks ago and found that most of them contain milk. chicken lasagna which i was buying to avoid the one with cheese in it to my surprise has milk in it. meatloaf, pasta w swedish meatballs, fettuccine alfredo/chicken-you name they all contain milk. i even bought some jerk chicken from the publix deli- looked at the label and it contained milk. so screw it since i have been eating them all this time with no problems i will continue to eat them. however with my cereal i drink rice milk, i avoid cheese, and i use earth balance no dairy butter which i get from whole foods.

Well that's 100% sure for me! I can't eat cheese/yogurt, lactose milk and especially milkshakes! like at all! nobody told me.. but ive experimented!!! YOU KNOW WHAT?! Those "myths" about acne are true because they wouldn't have just been assumptions out of the blue! They are there for a reason!

So its not MILK per say but the hormones in them??

Where I'm from, they don't inject the cows with hormones...

So I'm safe??? :D

I have just broken out horribly and I am sure its from milk. I have been lazy and just have been eating cereal a lot lately because its so easy to make. Aboout 3-4 bowls a day. Well I have broken out horribly and now have stopped drinking it. Its been a week and still have lots of healing to go. Just wondering whats your opinion on Almond milk? I am pretty sure I am not alergic to nuts so I think I will be good on that part.

Well that's 100% sure for me! I can't eat cheese/yogurt, lactose milk and especially milkshakes! like at all! nobody told me.. but ive experimented!!! YOU KNOW WHAT?! Those "myths" about acne are true because they wouldn't have just been assumptions out of the blue! They are there for a reason!

I know how you feel about milkshakes, I love them but I cant eat them. After I went off dairy for about 5 months I cant have any at all with out a small under the skin cyst forming. So no more. Seems not having any dairy as made me really intolerant of it.

NOTE TO ALL: There's a lot more info on the Nutrition and Holistic Forum regarding this issue of dairy, and also other dietary habit that produce acne- High GI foods, allergies, etc.. I suggest you all get on there and research. Good luck!

So its not MILK per say but the hormones in them??

Where I'm from, they don't inject the cows with hormones...

So I'm safe??? :D

I have just broken out horribly and I am sure its from milk. I have been lazy and just have been eating cereal a lot lately because its so easy to make. Aboout 3-4 bowls a day. Well I have broken out horribly and now have stopped drinking it. Its been a week and still have lots of healing to go. Just wondering whats your opinion on Almond milk? I am pretty sure I am not alergic to nuts so I think I will be good on that part.

I drink a lot of Tea each day.. But with milk... Whole milk that too... And I'm a tea addict and so can't stay away from milk ! Almond milk is good... But Soy milk is way better... The taste is funny though... But it so much more healthier than normal or almond milk...

Hmm...

From my experience, if you have acne eventually you will start to think that everything you eat is causing it. Not a great habit to get into that's for sure. I lost a lot of weight last year because I was basically trying to avoid just about every single food that could possibly cause it.

One thing is fore sure though... no matter what I avoided... my acne never fully went away. If you have oily skin, not eating dairy is not suddenly going to make it non-oily. It might make it slightly better, but it's hard to believe cutting out dairy will cure it completely. Plus, so many foods have dairy products in them that it's completely unpractical.

Best of luck though

it does work for sure i tried it myself for 5 months now ,

but the thing is you need to compensate for the calcium intake...

but other than that it's the best thing i ever did nothing else seemed to work. Iv also reduced the amounts of sugar and carbohydrates i consume and im 80% cured

Hmm...

From my experience, if you have acne eventually you will start to think that everything you eat is causing it. Not a great habit to get into that's for sure. I lost a lot of weight last year because I was basically trying to avoid just about every single food that could possibly cause it.

One thing is fore sure though... no matter what I avoided... my acne never fully went away. If you have oily skin, not eating dairy is not suddenly going to make it non-oily. It might make it slightly better, but it's hard to believe cutting out dairy will cure it completely. Plus, so many foods have dairy products in them that it's completely unpractical.

Best of luck though

Guess what? you know why your acne still remained after the diet changes? because pretty much every food (not all) has some type of dairy in it. Did you read the labeles and ingredients from all the foods you have eaten?

Thats why its hard to win this, every food has some presevative, dairy, crap in it that you just miss.

I have tried every elimination diet known to man LOL I went Vegan and YES read every label of every darned thing I ingested, annoying! Did nothing.

The only thing that's ever worked is eating nothing but raw veg, I mean NOTHING, which to me is starving yourself. Some ppl would disagree, but I don't recommend it.

I don't think that was necessarily the "healing power" of raw veg as much as it was the drastic calorie cut.

I agree with combatting acne from within, but idk what works still, just started B5 so I guess we'll see...

Hi. I'm new here. I was just wondering, is removing dairy from your diet worth also losing the nutrition? I realize that there are alternatives for calcium and vitamin D intake, but it just baffles me that something that we are told to drink from infancy through adolescence can cause acne. Do dairy products only affect cystic/severe acne? I don't have horrible skin, but it is oily and I have a large pimple every so often. I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out!

I most definitely think dairy causes acne for some people. I've commented many times to people that it seems like whenever i eat cheese or ice cream, the next day i would have more breakouts or i would get pimples when my skin had been clear prior to eating dairy. I used to eat it very infrequently because i don't think it's good for you in general. So when i would indulge on occasion, my skin would definitely react. I'm now vegan, and i eat no dairy whatsoever. My acne is mostly hormonal though, so i haven't seen any improvements, but i'm sure that if i were eating dairy, the problem would be exacerbated.

hi everyone- it's good that people are talking about the connection between diet and acne. i just wanted to share some information that i learned while getting my degree in anthropology that relates to this subject. for 99.9% of human history, no humans consumed dairy products besides their own mother's milk. humans didn't start consuming animal's milk until 10,000 years ago, which is an extremely short while ago, evolutionarily speaking. our bodies have not had enough time to adapt to such a radical dietary change, hence a huge percentage of the world's population is lactose intolerant. it cannot be emphasized enough, so i'll say what many others have said. humans do not need to consume dairy products after they have finished breastfeeding. ever wonder why no other animal on the planet consumes another species' milk? it's because milk consumption is a cultural practice, not a natural one. hunter gatherers were the healthiest people on earth and when humans developed agriculture and domesticated animals our health declined drastically. the bottom line is, eat a varied diet of mostly plant foods and lean meats and fish, and you will get all the nutrients you need. The reason I bring this up is because I hear a lot of anxiety from people who are contemplating giving up dairy, but you don't need to worry. In fact, there is a lot of evidence that dairy is actually detrimental to our health, even the nonfat variety. Anyway, do your own research, don't take my word for it. I'm not a doctor. You don't need a degree in anthropology to get this information- just a computer or a library card.

I have cut out milk from my diet, now I am using soy bean milk as a substitute. I prefer the taste of soy bean milk anyway.

However I love cheese and eggs.

It doesn't cause acne for me, but it is a very common problem for many people. There are many ways dairy can cause acne from allergy and lactose intolerance to the hormones it contains. It may cause my keratosis pilaris which flaired up pretty bad this past winter as the IGF1 in milk directly triggers hyperkeratinizatin.

And re: the diet connection. My skin has been mostly clear for over 3 years from my diet changes which are not strict and by no means causes me to starve. I simply eat a whole lot more real, nutrient dense anti-inflammatory food and a lot less sugars and processed crap. Which is how everyone should eat as it has benefits far more important than acne.

There are other specific foods that can cause acne in people that have an intolerance to that food. For me, it's citrus which caused the severe cystic acne I used to get.

Also, there are plenty of other sources for calcium and better sources for D. And you don't even need that much calcium. What you need are the nutrients your body needs to absorb and use calcium such as magnesium and to not consume so much foods that cause your body to lose calcium. Such as salt. Get your D from fish and careful sun exposure or supplements.

i totally agree with all this!

after 10 years of battling persisant acne that wouldnt go away or did but always came back and after seeing 2 derms and trying all lotions, creams and pills you can apart from accutane which was next i was ready to give up!

i never heard about food causing your acne till i joined this website!

i cut milk, cheese and milk chocolate out as they seem to be the biggest things that cause me to get spots!

i do slip up now and again and then i know 2 days later i will get a couple of spots but sometimes its worth it for a pizza!! :)

imok with goats and buffalo cheese as well so must just be cows milk!

i havent tried icecream yet but hoping that doenst break me out!

im amazed that no doctor ever mentioned to me that it could be that and without this site i would never of thought about it and i wud still be battling spots!

instead my skin is clear!

thanks acne.org!!

i totally agree with all this!

after 10 years of battling persisant acne that wouldnt go away or did but always came back and after seeing 2 derms and trying all lotions, creams and pills you can apart from accutane which was next i was ready to give up!

i never heard about food causing your acne till i joined this website!

i cut milk, cheese and milk chocolate out as they seem to be the biggest things that cause me to get spots!

i do slip up now and again and then i know 2 days later i will get a couple of spots but sometimes its worth it for a pizza!! :)

imok with goats and buffalo cheese as well so must just be cows milk!

i havent tried icecream yet but hoping that doenst break me out!

im amazed that no doctor ever mentioned to me that it could be that and without this site i would never of thought about it and i wud still be battling spots!

instead my skin is clear!

thanks acne.org!!

I'm so glad that dietary change has worked for you :D It has had a huge impact for me - skin wise and health wise. And I can only hope that others try the same approach through reading posts like yours.

There is a reason for the doctors' ignorance on the subject, and to be fair it's not particularly their fault. In the West anyway, their is a conservatism that pervades modern medicine and health care. Human health is an extremely complex subject with thousands of variables contributing to health and illness. So when studies show one thing, there would be others done with different test subjects under different variables that would say another. The result is unless something is 100% conclusive, you won't find acceptance of new radical ideas. You also have the notion that medicine is life and death itself in alot of cases, you don't mess around with new theories in such an environment - well that's the expectation anyway.

We have also become far to reliant on popping pills in the West - this quick and easy method has become the status quo. No-one wants to hear that they have to lose weight or cut down on take-aways do they? And finally you have the influence of Drug companies, who wield such power that they even surpass that of some countries. They pressure and push their new drugs onto the medical establishment all in the name of greed. The health of Joe average in the street holds little concern to them.

BUT, I digress, you don't have to believe this if you don't want to. Try it out though anyway, the nitty gritty is not important, the results are right? You have everything to gain and nothing to lose, and when you do get results - then is the time I guess, to question why your doctor told you that diet has no effect on your skin. ;)

I stopped eating dairy a couple of months ago and have noticed my acne reduced. It sucks because most of my favorite meals included dairy, but I have to say I'm used to not eating it now.

I still get acne but maybe one new spot a week, and I haven't had any on my forehead since I stopped two months ago. I went off of DKR because my skin was reacting so poorly to BP, and even still my acne is better than it was when I was on the regimen. I would like to know what is still causing the acne I do get now though.

I never considered stopping dairy because I only started getting acne a year or so ago, and never had problem with my skin as a teen.

Acne is such a strange and frustrating thing.

it cannot be emphasized enough, so i'll say what many others have said. humans do not need to consume dairy products after they have finished breastfeeding.

I think that's pretty much a straw man argument, because I don't think I've seen anybody actually CLAIM that humans need to consume dairy products after they've finished breastfeeding. No one single food is essential or indispensable.

ever wonder why no other animal on the planet consumes another species' milk?

Not at all, because the reason has been pointed out REPEATEDLY on this forum: no other animal on the planet has another species' milk AVAILABLE to them. If they did, they would drink it.

it's because milk consumption is a cultural practice, not a natural one. hunter gatherers were the healthiest people on earth and when humans developed agriculture and domesticated animals our health declined drastically.

Really? And you know that because....?

In fact, there is a lot of evidence that dairy is actually detrimental to our health, even the nonfat variety.

ESPECIALLY the nonfat variety. I think people should drink whole milk, not the unnatural low-fat or skimmed varieties.

But I really don't believe your premise that "dairy" (why do so many people use a hillbilly term like "dairy"?) is detrimental to our health. I think milk is a very nutritious food, and is a good addition to your diet, provided you don't have any allergies to it or are lactase deficient.

Anyway, do your own research, don't take my word for it.

I think that's the best advice you've given in your entire post! :) ;)

Cutting out dairy for the past months has only helped me getting rid of cystic acne. Everything else is just about the same at the moment..