Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

IGF is identical in cows and humans, but not goats. Insulin-like Growth Factor gets passed into the cow's milk and once in the human body causes sebaceous glands to go crazy.

Also, most milk comes from pregnant cows. During pregnancy hormones are elevated causing more hormone laden milk.

Moreover, dairy farmers give their cows artificial hormones (in feed and injection) to increase their milk yield. These hormones are also passed into milk.

It is really disturbing that this is all legal in the USA. The artificial hormones are illegal in most other countries . . . Not to mention how disturbing it is that dermatologists turn a blind eye to it all.

Milk is a healthy source of calcium, but there are plenty of other sources. Teenagers having acne should be widely discouraged from drinking milk; instead eating leafy green vegetables for their calcium (much healthier anyway).

One last thing. Homogenized milk (which most milk is) is very bad for you. The fat is pulverized so it won't separate, but this process disturbs the molecules and the way your body absorbs them. This can lead to many gastrointestinal problems and even high cholesterol.

FRAXEL DUDE I COMPLETELY FEEL YOU BOUT THE MILK. nothin made as much sense to me as that when i heard it. to stop the acne stop the cause. acne is NOT a natural condition some unnnatural imbalance causes it so what are the odds that 1 in every 3 teen has that imbalance. bull! i say its the artificial hormones. i';m goin soy meen. forget this.

Vitamins for your bones probably have something like calcium and vitamin D in them, but not the things (hormones, etc) that milk has in it that could be causing some people's acne.

I'm slowly cutting down the milk in my diet. (It's my main source of protein, and I don't really like other sources of protein very much, so it's an adjustment.) The constant itchiness in my skin faded quickly, and my acne seem less inflamed. Just everything itches less. (Milk allergy?)

Btw, cows aren't/are no longer injected with growth hormones. It's illegal. Every batch of milk is tested for them, and all of the milk in that shipment is rejected if any growth hormone is detected anywhere. However, claiming "no growth hormones added" is just a huge marketing device, because all milk, organic or not, contains the hormones used to make cows lactate longer without needing to give birth again. Without these hormones, veal would be much, much, much cheaper. *Taken from a rant (or 2) by my milk-expert friend. She has a degree in this stuff.*

I've posted before about the milk thing and I'll just reiterate what I said before. Milk and dairy products had been a large contributing factor to my acne over the years. I grew up on milk and mac and cheese. It's just disappointing now that I can only ingest small amounts of it if any...

So let me ask this. Lately, I've been enjoying peanut butter (crunchy) out of the jar with a glass of milk...this is probably torturing my skin, isn't it??? GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

So let me ask this. Lately, I've been enjoying peanut butter (crunchy) out of the jar with a glass of milk...this is probably torturing my skin, isn't it??? GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

hahahaha - Just today I told my husband milk = acne, to which he responded, you need calcium for your bones remember! I then quickly added... oh I don't use the milk for my calcium, I already take calcium supplements, I use the milk for my peanut butter sandwich girl scout cookies!!! So I'm going to go with a yes... peanut butter + milk = torture... but isn't it sooo good!?! :hifive:

well i attribute my clear skin largely to grandpas thylox sulfur soap. i would say it got me to be about 85% clear. however, i didnt completely clear until i eliminated dairy products. my new years resolution was to do anything and everything i have to do in order to clear my skin. that included giving up my beloved italian food and mac/cheese. im a cheese freak!!! i eliminated cheese, milk, butter,yogurt and icecream. boy what a big difference i saw in my skin. ive never been this clear. im now a firm believer that dairy triggers acne- at least i know it does for me.

MILK=ACNE YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I take a 1200mg calcium supplement last second b4 I go to bed, all the calcium I need w/o the zits! Take that you evil zits! :evil::wall:;)

O.K so I decided to try cutting dairy out of my diet for a few days and seeing if it helped my skin out. Within a few days my existing nodules had completely gone, and didnt get any more.

I though that this might just be coincidence so a couple of days ago I had a couple bowls of cereal and some crackers with lots of butter. A day later and everything was still fine, but today I felt a couple of nodules coming up, and as we speak I am holding an ice cube to my nose and typing this.

Istill have some moderate acne around the cheeks but nothing too serious. I think I finally found the cause of my nodules and cysts, so cutting out dairy seems to work for me. However I still enjoy it in small amounts, like other day I had an ice cream and everything was fine, just seems to be when I dont take care of how much I eat it gets bad.

I tried that for a month. Did not affect my acne production. Maybe you have a milk alergy.

I'm pretty sure that dairy is at least one of the causes for me as well. I eliminated dairy as much as I could for about two weeks and then two days ago had a big bowl of chicken alfredo. What do I have today? Breakouts. I'm going to cut out dairy and see how it goes. I"ll keep you guys updated.

I've been mostly dairy-free for nearly a year now and am starting to wonder if I should take a supplement.

What supplements do you dairy-free guys and gals take?

Wow, this thread is still going ^_^

I don't take any supplements, although I was wondering if I should aswell....

I moved to Japan last year, and my skin has been horrible ever since. I used to eat/drink tons of dairy products in Canada, but since coming here I haven't been eating any! Maybe it's the opposite for me >.< :wacko:

I moved to Japan last year, and my skin has been horrible ever since. I used to eat/drink tons of dairy products in Canada, but since coming here I haven't been eating any! Maybe it's the opposite for me >.< :wacko:

Haha try binging on dairy :)

Shaara, how old are you btw =]

Just thinking, you should try apple cyder vinegar if you haven't already, it's A GODSEND for me, meant to work for adults amazingly, I'm 18 and it worked for me.

EDIT: I'm talking about drinking it lol

Just thinking, you should try apple cyder vinegar if you haven't already, it's A GODSEND for me, meant to work for adults amazingly, I'm 18 and it worked for me.

Hey :) I'm 22!

That's funny that you mention ACV because I was reading about it last night and thinking about starting! What kind are you using?

why does dairy cause acne?

They aren't 100% sure of the reason - there are some studies that have shown a link between dairy intake and acne. The hypothesized reasons include the hormones contained in dairy, the high levels of iodine, and also the whey proteins in dairy. Maybe its all of the above??

My friend went completely off of dairy due to family beliefs, and she got a lot more bumps.

Personally, I want to give this no-dairy thing a chance. I've decided that I'm going to try to cut out as much of it as possible.

Hey :) I'm 22!

That's funny that you mention ACV because I was reading about it last night and thinking about starting! What kind are you using?

Well I was using Organic ACV, but now I've decided to try megadosing on fish oil, since that seems to cut oil production similarily to accutane (from my personal experience)

I'm currently on 10g of fish oil per day. Thats 1.8g EPA, and 1.2g DHA :D

I've been mostly dairy-free for nearly a year now and am starting to wonder if I should take a supplement.

What supplements do you dairy-free guys and gals take?

The supplements I take are found in the link in my signature. One of the them that I take that is normally found in dairy is calcium with vitamin D. The person who invented the particular supplement regime doesn't eat dairy. I highly recommend you guys to check out that link. It has helped with my acne so much and he has all the research to back it up. Hope this helps someone!

is there a certain type of fish oil i should look for?

Not that I'm aware of, I just use something called "Nature Aid Food Supplement", Omega 3, 1000mg Fish oil.

So far I've had an inital outbreak, but seems it just brought all these red marks I thought were scars to surface, then I realised they were just burried spots lol. Now they are dieing, and soon it looks like I'll have no trace of acne at all.

I'm actually taking fish oil for folliculitis, but clearing acne is a WELCOME side effect :D