Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

O.K so I decided to try cutting dairy out of my diet for a few days and seeing if it helped my skin out. Within a few days my existing nodules had completely gone, and didnt get any more.

I though that this might just be coincidence so a couple of days ago I had a couple bowls of cereal and some crackers with lots of butter. A day later and everything was still fine, but today I felt a couple of nodules coming up, and as we speak I am holding an ice cube to my nose and typing this.

Istill have some moderate acne around the cheeks but nothing too serious. I think I finally found the cause of my nodules and cysts, so cutting out dairy seems to work for me. However I still enjoy it in small amounts, like other day I had an ice cream and everything was fine, just seems to be when I dont take care of how much I eat it gets bad.

I agree,

I totally cut out butter , foods fried in oil and also noticed not taking sugar in tea or coffee does the trick for me.

i do occasionally sneakily eat chocolate , but its hard to resist. :P

Yeah, it's definitely a trigger for many people but it's sad that a lot of dermatologists refuse to advice people about dietary changes. I began getting bad cysts again back in May '07 after not really dealing with them for years....I had severe cystic acne as a teenager. I went to the dermatologist who of course jumped right to the Retin-A and antibiotics which after many months had done nothing for my acne plus now my skin was dry, flaky, and irritated.

Then, in November, I realized my problems began exactly at the same time I started doing a very low carb diet. Cheese was a huge part of my diet since I love it and it has 0 carbs...btw, the low carb diet worked great for getting me leaner than I've ever been but it's too difficult to maintain. Anyway, I don't know why I didn't make this connection sooner.

Well, after 7 months of constantly having 1-3 cysts at any given time plus other non-cystic infamed acne, I have been totally clear for over a month since I stopped consuming anything with diary in it. I suspect I would have been totally clear in early January too if it hadn't been for the foods I ate while I was home for Christmas :) I might be able to handle small amounts but I don't even want to try. I'd rather be clear!

Now, you tell me that is a coincidence and I'll tell you that you're crazy.

I also stopped using medicated cleansers, BP (except as spot treatment on minor non-cystic inflamed acne I still get once in awhile), and the oh so important Retin-A. Now I use a gentle cleanser like Purpose and Nucelle's mandelic acid. I'm so happy with how my skin looks now...healthy, hydrated, calm, and clear. I'm going to see my dermatologist next week just to tell him what actuallycleared my skin since I think they need to be reminded that they don't always know best.

Foods with dairy, I think, are basically anything that comes from a cow... not too sure though it might include eggs etc but I cant really say if eating them makes a difference for me because I dont eat them.

Also watch out, its easy to slip up, I found myself eating a 2 litre tub of rolo ice cream, only to realize that to my horror ice cream was made from milk :doh: The same with milkshakes aswell ;)

Foods with dairy, I think, are basically anything that comes from a cow... not too sure though it might include eggs etc but I cant really say if eating them makes a difference for me because I dont eat them.

Eggs are not dairy. They just lump them together into a food category called 'Eggs AND Dairy' because they don't fit in the other categories either.

And dairy doesn't just come from a cow, but cow dairy is by far the most common in the U.S. and people can be allergic to cow dairy, and not goat for example.

Also watch out, its easy to slip up, I found myself eating a 2 litre tub of rolo ice cream, only to realize that to my horror ice cream was made from milk :doh: The same with milkshakes aswell ;)

Eggs are not dairy. They just lump them together into a food category called 'Eggs AND Dairy' because they don't fit in the other categories either.

And dairy doesn't just come from a cow, but cow dairy is by far the most common in the U.S. and people can be allergic to cow dairy, and not goat for example.

well the theory is, any sort of "milk" from an animal is going to have sex hormones, growth hormones, etc. in it

i too have strayed far from dairy, although on some occasions i've made exceptions for desserts (still, absolutely NO straight up milk)

I have everything but milk and stay away from cheese and ive noticed a great improvement. I eat chocolate and ice cream stuff like that, doesnt seem to bother me much. its worth the chocolate :)

I drink dairy all the time, and it doesn't effect my acne. I'm pretty much the opposite of lactose intolerant, I neeeeeeeeeeed milk! XP I quit milk for a couple weeks at one point, and chocolate. My acne, I could swear it got worse. I was so depressed because of the lack of things I loved, it affected my skin.

Obviously, my acne isn't related to my diet.

the whole dairy thing connected to acne baffles me.

i don't touch dairy and drink lactose free "milk".

yet still acne. soo

Please,please, please stop eating dairy if you have cystic acne! Dairy is in cheese, milk, icecream, non dairy products!! I had severe acne for 15 years and I only realized 6 months ago what the heck was wrong. I stopped eating dairy and have no broken out exept for a tiny, tiny one every couple months. Also, when you cut out dairy watch nuts!! I found out I had an allergy to almonds and walnuts as they broke me out, although less severe also. I wish I could save everyone one on here money and stress by making you try this...its free. You will notice within a few days that any acne you have becomes less sore and starts to go away!!!!!!!! I hate that people are suffering and paying for it needlessly.

the whole dairy thing connected to acne baffles me.

i don't touch dairy and drink lactose free "milk".

yet still acne. soo

lactose free is still dairy...it will still contain natural and injected hormones that will turn your skin into an acne nightmareb

I drink dairy all the time, and it doesn't effect my acne. I'm pretty much the opposite of lactose intolerant, I neeeeeeeeeeed milk! XP I quit milk for a couple weeks at one point, and chocolate. My acne, I could swear it got worse. I was so depressed because of the lack of things I loved, it affected my skin.

Obviously, my acne isn't related to my diet.

Dairy is in soo many products...giving up just milk isn't enough.

Yeah, it's definitely a trigger for many people but it's sad that a lot of dermatologists refuse to advice people about dietary changes.

They insist it has no effect. And then after suffering for 30 years, I stopped listening to them, made some diet changes and my skin is clear. (see sig)

Dairy, however, isn't an issue for me acne-wise, although per tests, I am mildly allergic to cow dairy and have reduced how much I consume.

I believe dairy is a big trigger for my acne as well...cutting out dairy didn't get rid of my acne entirely but it has helped A LOT...even before i started doing anything else, supp. etc, there was a noticeable effect on my skin from cutting out dairy...If you guys are sad about giving up milk, there are some good substitutes! Almond, soy, rice and oat milk are all good...be careful since each could be bad for some but not others

Also i just tried rice cheese which is not half bad!

Today was supposed to be my last day on accutane, I say supposed to because 2 days prior I developed a cyst on my forehead (first one in 2 months) and a large one under my ear. Now I am facing another month. The only this I can tell that changed is an extra amount of dairy each day. I normally did not have any, but have been have 1 glass a day as a late night snack. Since I went 2 months cyst free I am thinking the dairy is the problem so I am cutting it out, anyone think any differently on this? Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

Today was supposed to be my last day on accutane, I say supposed to because 2 days prior I developed a cyst on my forehead (first one in 2 months) and a large one under my ear. Now I am facing another month. The only this I can tell that changed is an extra amount of dairy each day. I normally did not have any, but have been have 1 glass a day as a late night snack. Since I went 2 months cyst free I am thinking the dairy is the problem so I am cutting it out, anyone think any differently on this? Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

If it's an allergy or intolerance, accutane can't help.

damned it people. I just started drinking milk again because of my fear of osteoperosis when I get old (not sure if Calcium supplements are enough). Now I see it may be an acne trigger. Argh! I can't win. :boohoo:

And how can I stay away from CHEESE? I am part Italian and part French. Cheese is in my blood!

AND a yogurt at day keeps the yeast infection away.

What am I to do! Oh, the humanity!

:boohoo::boohoo:

I've realised that dairy is a demon for my acne. :evil:

I never really drink milk and rarely have butter, I don't eat yoghurt, but I'm a total cheese addict and about 6 months ago I stopped eating it.

My skin cleared up nicely, however, I still have the odd splurge and suffer for it greatly :wall:

I know that for me dairy=acne for sure. I had a allergy test done and found out that I was allergic to dairy except for certain cheeses. I don't risk eating any dairy. I'm not clear yet, but I've been dairy free for 3 weeks and have seen a remarkable improvement.

^gee so milk ang yogurt can trigger acne?

im a bit confused cause i just realized that after taking vitamins for my bones i had mild pimples?

Um...yea, so yogurt is made from milk.

unless you're allergic, i don't know if I'd drop the yogurt. yogurt has probiotics which aid in digestion, and a problematic digestive system is often a problem that leads to acne. my experience talking.

im drinking easily over 2 pints of milk a day mixing it with protien powders and i can safely say this is not the case for me lol i think that is being paranoid which is leadin u to believe that

I know that for me dairy=acne for sure. I had a allergy test done and found out that I was allergic to dairy except for certain cheeses. I don't risk eating any dairy. I'm not clear yet, but I've been dairy free for 3 weeks and have seen a remarkable improvement.

i've always wanted to take an allergy test just to see if i was really allergic to dairy

how do you get one? :think: