Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theyearofthemouse

40mg every other day accutane started 2/4/08

Let me just start by introducing myself... I am a mid-20s female taking 40mg of amnesteem every other day. I guess that is considered low dose. My face has been a mess over the past 6 months. The absolute worst it has ever looked. Last month I had 5 cysts and lots of little whiteheads around my mouth and chin. LOTS of redness and scarring there. I almost never leave my house because I am extremely embarassed by it.

My skin type is very oily. My two older brothers took accutane about 10 years ago and my sister is going to start in a few months as well. So I guess you could say acne runs in the family. Thanks mom and dad! :doubt:

As far as my my skin care routine goes, I wash my face 2 times a day with a 2% salcylic acid face wash and spot treat zits with benzaclin. My face is only slightly dry after washing it and I don't use a moisturizer. I avoid sweets, greasy food, corn and wheat. I think these trigger my acne a little.

So yesterday I popped my first pill. In it's current state, I would call my face a train wreck. I have 3 nasty big ones on my chin and lots of little ones around the edges of my mouth and chin. I am sooooooo happy to be starting accutane :dance: it's hard to feel down about looking so bad because I know in the end it'll look good!

I started this to help other people like me out and i'm going to update this nearly every day, so check back in soon! C-ya!

Acne runs on my family too but they are not guilty for anything. And i am positive that food has nothing related to acne in my family. I am not worried about food anymore, cause i experienced for many days eat more healthy food in the past, and my acne was exactly the same. Neither worse or bad. When i eat chocolates, sugar food, pizzas, hamburgers, etc my face stills the same. So i don't bother with that, specially going on accutane. I only take care about the vitamin a doses and triglycerides levels.

Well..good luck theyearofthemouse! I am on day 6 with 20mg with any side effects here. Neither flakiness, dry lips or acne. Nothing unusual. Stay cool and always trust in your medications, your doing the best u can ;)

:angel: Hey everybody! Just a quick update. I'm in the middle of day 2 now and boy have I been sleepy. I've snoozed about 10 hours in the past day!! WOW. Also, I do not feel hungry at all. All I've had the past day is an apple, a cup of soup and 2 slices of bread. And man do I feel FULL. Other than that, the acne seems the same, had a few whiteheads come up which I got out.

I'm just so happy that I am finally taking accutane! I can't wait until it clears out my face!

Acne runs on my family too but they are not guilty for anything. And i am positive that food has nothing related to acne in my family. I am not worried about food anymore, cause i experienced for many days eat more healthy food in the past, and my acne was exactly the same. Neither worse or bad. When i eat chocolates, sugar food, pizzas, hamburgers, etc my face stills the same. So i don't bother with that, specially going on accutane. I only take care about the vitamin a doses and triglycerides levels.

Well..good luck theyearofthemouse! I am on day 6 with 20mg with any side effects here. Neither flakiness, dry lips or acne. Nothing unusual. Stay cool and always trust in your medications, your doing the best u can ;)

3rd day!! :D

Is it possible that it is working already?? Probably not, but my face looks better today. A lot of redness is gone and my pores look much tighter. Plus, no new ones and the old ones are healing on my chin. My whole face feels tingly and kind of... itchy.

I drink about 5-10 glasses of water a day now. SO THIRSTY! I can't wait until I hit the one week mark. It seems like time is flying by.

4th day now!

Man does my face look AWFUL :wall:

A bunch of whiteheads came up last night from some old zits(had to get them out) and my whole faces looks red today. How sad. At least I don't have any huge cysts right now. Hope I didn't jinx my face by saying that!!!! Aw crap.

Really really sleepy today.

Just have to keep telling myself that I'll be cured for good after this. Forever. That makes it more managable...

Hi hun i really hope your course goes well and try not to be too down with the outbreak just try to think of it as all the crap coming out your skin and once its out that is hopefully it forever! try to think of the end result altho i know its hard when your going thru it.

Anyway i hope things get better x

What is this? Day 5.... wow. I have a long way to go! Nothing really new to report. I had a big one come up on my chin but it came to a head and I got it out. I feel way more energetic now and less sleepy. I'm going out this weekend with my dad and I'm very anxious about it since I'm still red all over. Oh well. It'll all be better in a matter of months.

:dance:

Day 12... almost two weeks!

My face is looking pretty clear, a few old ones are coming up still but nothing serious. My face is definitely dry and looking more even toned.

I hope everything will stay this good.

Day 14. End of week 2! This is definitely IB for me. I have a huge cyst on the side of my chin, an annoying big one on my cheek and another whitehead under my lip. My face hasn't looked this bad since I started. Next week I am upping to 40 mg a day and then in a month going up to 60mg to kill it off for good.

Also, something odd has happened. I have always been skinny with good metabolism, but now even though I am not hungry at all- and don't eat very much- I cannot seem to shake these 5 pds I put on since I've started taking accutane. It seriously came out of nowhere. Does anyone else have this problem???? So weird.

DAY 15. Remember how I was just bitching about gaining weight? Well I spoke too soon- I weighed myself today and I've gone down about 3 pounds from a few days ago.

Crazy. It was a lot harder to lose those 3 pds than ever before!

Now today I still have two stubborn big ones on my cheeks. Dear god, make them go away, both of them hurt like crazy. This is definitely IB. Those suckers have been there for over a week now.

I am starting on taking 40mg a day now, btw. I am hoping a few more weeks and I'll be clearing up. Have to go get my blood tests done end of this week. Oh boy. :rolleyes:

Congrats on starting tane. Just sit back and try to enjoy the ride. Sounds like your derm is starting you on a really low dose and gradually increasing it. If that's the case you hopefully won't have a real IB or a very little one. I'll be keeping up with your log. Good luck. :)

Day 16. The big one on the right side of my face(on my cheek) has finally gone down! Now the other one on the left side has to go away and I'll be doing great!!! No new stuff, all the old ones have really seemed to fade away. :clap: Yeah!!! Wooooohooo!

I weigh 135 now (took off another pound yesterday!) and I'm hoping to drop down to 130.

Congrats on starting tane. Just sit back and try to enjoy the ride. Sounds like your derm is starting you on a really low dose and gradually increasing it. If that's the case you hopefully won't have a real IB or a very little one. I'll be keeping up with your log. Good luck. :)

today @ work, someone said in passing that i looked like i lost weight. i just weighed myself & i'm 120.6. i will be keeping track from now on. i think i was averaging 125 before i started, which was on 1/28/08. keep me posted.

Day 18. The big ones have gone down, but a few little whiteheads are still lingering around my lips and chin. Nothing serious, they'll probably go away in a day or two. Other than that, face is looking okay, just a few scars(those will go away in a week or so). My face is dry, for the first time, I think, ever! I love having an oil-free face at 9am AND at 9pm.

I have not been watching my weight. I don't think I have moved from 135.

today @ work, someone said in passing that i looked like i lost weight. i just weighed myself & i'm 120.6. i will be keeping track from now on. i think i was averaging 125 before i started, which was on 1/28/08. keep me posted.

ok, i'm 120.0 now. i think the bc pills might have something to do w/my weight loss though. i hear you either get heavier or thinner. don't be jealous, i'm only about 5'3.

god how weird i havent heard anything about loosing weight on accutane my friend was on it and her weight stayed the same i weigh myself all the time and im the same as i was before i started taking it.

Remember if your loosing weight tho or gaining maybe you need to tell your derm as they have put you on the correct dose for the weight you were when you were prescribed accutane xxx

Day 21. End of week 3!! I'm hoping the IB is done. No new stuff. Just a few teeny tiny things that will dry up soon i'm betting. My face is dry and tight. Man does that feel goooooood! Since I was broken out bad all last week I have a bunch of red scars that have to heal- those will lighten up in a week or two so... whatever dude. It's looked worse.

In other news, I have cramps today. :wall::doh: Ugh.

Been keeping tabs on the weight, no change so far. I don't know if the weight loss is tied in to the accutane. I've been reading into it, and lots of people say they lost weight on it, but whether it was because of the drug or a sudden change in diet and exercise I'm not sure. I know I've been feeling all around better about myself so I've been eating really healthy(well, except for the occasional thing of Skittles :wub: ) and walking 20 mins a day.

Write on here letting me know about your weight loss/gain on accutane! I'd love to know...

I know exactly what you mean! I'm not hungry very much either... and, i'm not on bc. I think it is the Accutane then. I've read some other people say the same thing.