Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
annakarenina83

Blackheads much worse on roaccutane help!

Hi,

I'm posting this on behalf of my boyfriend who does not have a acne.org account and is freaking out '~'

to give you some background. he is 21, with mild-moderate acne and moderate blackheads mostly on his nose.

his derm put him on roaccutane 20mg/day (he weighs approx 80 kg) and he is on his third week now

problem is - his blackheads have got exponentially worse since roaccutane!! there are about 3 times more of them than there were before he started taking them. like its crazy even I noticed it. is this normal? what do you do about it? should he go on a higher dose?

Thanks for any help :)

That's what Roaccutane does, for the first few days/weeks (everyone is different) your skin can get quite alot worse, but it will go in the end, as the guy above me said, give it time.

That's what Roaccutane does, for the first few days/weeks (everyone is different) your skin can get quite alot worse, but it will go in the end, as the guy above me said, give it time.

yeh i know that the acne is supposed to get worse i just didnt realise that applied to blackheads as well was wondering if anyone had a similar personal experience????

Hi - Yes, blackheads will get darker and look worse when starting Accutane. Accutane is pushing sebum up and out of the skin...... Don't fret, soon you will see these dark blackheads (and acne) being pushed and cleared out and these pores will get clearer and clearer. And super soft skin no less. I kinda freaked too, but my Derm. said this is how it works!

It will get better very soon.

Yvette

its also important to wash his skin.

as in...some people just do the "wash with water" method , which i think is retarded.

get a nice gentle cleanser, if he doesnt already do it. thatll help keep the blackheads to a minimum, at least I think it will.

I get some blackheads too (just started sotret too), and washing helps them stay less apparent.