Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
franie

Apparantly it's impossible to enlarge your pores ...

So, I've made a new beauty therapist friend through my blog which is GREAT. I emailed her for advice the other day, because I was worried that experimenting with different natural products has damaged my skin and made my pores bigger. She mentioned this in her email:

... it's actually impossible to change the size of your pores, you can change their appearance by filling them and cleansing so well they appear rounder and deeper, but it’s actually not possible to change their size – I was pretty shocked when I learnt that one at college, I think it’s something all those big companies need to tell their marketing teams!).

This made me feel really happy! I wonder what else we're being told that's really not true.

Actually, that is COMPLETELY FALSE! The only reason I am 100% adamant about this is b/c it happened to me. I had a pore on my forehead that would become congested once in a while, so once in a great while I'd squeeze it. Did that since I was a teen. Then suddenly in my mid 30s the pore became HUGE - I mean it looked as if someone took a ball point pen and poked my forehead it was that large! Of course, now that it was big and very noticeable, it filled up even more.

I tried two derms. The first just sanded around it to try to smooth it out. $400 later, it still looked like a big hole in the middle of my forehead. Then I went to another derm who said this is quite common. He actually dug the entire pore itself out and then stitched the opening together. It's not very noticeable at all now, just a slight indention, but at least it doesn't get clogged anymore b/c there's no pore there.

Lesson here: DON'T SQUEEZE :naughty:

I would wonder why someone would say that. I personally believe she meant SHRUNK, like once it's enlarged you cannot shrink it back only make it appear that way.

I once managed to tear the fabric of my skin-pit continuum such that two separate pores are now a large singular hole. Enterprising p.acne travellers are now able to cross vast thresholds in a single microscopic bound.

And with such almighty powers contained in my manly form, I hereby grant thee permission to gaze upon my awe.

I once managed to tear the fabric of my skin-pit continuum such that two separate pores are now a large singular hole. Enterprising p.acne travellers are now able to cross vast thresholds in a single microscopic bound.

And with such almighty powers contained in my manly form, I hereby grant thee permission to gaze upon my awe.

I think the point to this is that pores, while functioning normally, have no way to open or close, become bigger or smaller. So products that claim to "shrink pores" are full of bs. What they might do is fill in large pores with some kind of silicate, or use chemicals to tighten your skin, giving the appearance of smaller pores, but in general pores just do not have that capability.

However, pores can change when NOT functioning normally. For examples, see the posts above.

And I also have one or two pores that are actually conglomerates of previously multiple pores.

Mine just seem to look bigger when there's gunk in them (whenever I'm not exfoliating much) and smaller when I'm (very) relatively gunkless (when I am exfoliating). I have a bunch of those large pore-hole-scar things that I think some people are talking about. Exfoliating doesn't really seem to help them much. I've never tried anything all hardcore like a TCA cross, though.

Hello fellow sci-fi person. I like your description and it is so true. On the converse, I have found that one such large pit comprised of even two to three enlarged scars will reverse to two to three enlarged pores when treated with TCA CROSS method. I was rather surprised to see several larger scars become two or three smaller ones!

Maybe under normal circumstances with normal skin pore enlargement is not likely but I suspect for good reasons that my large pores are not a result of natural progression but mistreatment of skin (ie. unusual circumstances for the skin), maybe combined with unusual skin.

Unusual circumstances cause unusual effects on skin. You only have to look at the common skin problems like acne and rosacea (which both are basically an excercise in throwing together a whole bunch of symptoms into two main categories and hope nobody notices how little we sometimes seem to know about what's really happening) and how diverse and individual the problems are.

Hello fellow sci-fi person. I like your description and it is so true. On the converse, I have found that one such large pit comprised of even two to three enlarged scars will reverse to two to three enlarged pores when treated with TCA CROSS method. I was rather surprised to see several larger scars become two or three smaller ones!