Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nvranka

The importance of moisturizer

well heres my question:

im on day 5 of sotret, and I havent gotten dry skin yet, or dry lips.

I have heard somewhere on these boards that i need to be moisturizing even if my skin isnt dry, is that true?

I tend to prefer leaving my skin alone unless it is like flaking or peeling you know? and it isnt doing either, so I dont see any reason I should be moisturizing and further complicating my pores and complexion.

Am I hurting my skin my not moisturizing when Im not peeling/flaking/dry or what?

thanks

well heres my question:

im on day 5 of sotret, and I havent gotten dry skin yet, or dry lips.

I have heard somewhere on these boards that i need to be moisturizing even if my skin isnt dry, is that true?

I tend to prefer leaving my skin alone unless it is like flaking or peeling you know? and it isnt doing either, so I dont see any reason I should be moisturizing and further complicating my pores and complexion.

Am I hurting my skin my not moisturizing when Im not peeling/flaking/dry or what?

thanks

yeah yeah I mean I dont mind moisturizing if I have to, but I just didnt know if I was doing myself a disservice of not moisturizing now, since im on the drug, but not getting the side-effects, yet that is. its only been 5 days.

yeah yeah I mean I dont mind moisturizing if I have to, but I just didnt know if I was doing myself a disservice of not moisturizing now, since im on the drug, but not getting the side-effects, yet that is. its only been 5 days.

i just dont like moisturizing if i dont have to, seems to make my skin worse, and more shiny/oily.

and yes I use the proper non-comedongenic (sp?) non-fragrance stuff, cetaphil moisturizer, but still doesnt look good.

my skin wasnt dry for the first week, but then i needed it. i use complex 15 mixed with emu oil...works amazing i love it.

I had the same attitude so I didn't moisturize at first. Then after a couple months it hit me all of a sudden after a hot shower.

My skin became inflammed and so completely irritated with atopic dermatitis that I had to go on steroids (which is something you want to avoid at all costs).

I wish I took my derms advice and moisturized proactively.

You should also turn the heat down in ur bedroom at night and use a humidifier at home and office, especially since it's winter.

Moisturizers make the skin more supple and create a barrier on the skin, but they actually do very little moisturizing. What they really do is help keep the moisture locked in and create a physical barrier and protectant to the skin.

That's why it's important to drink 2-3 liters of water a day and decrease "insensible water loss" (which means sweating, evaporation, etc.) Also you must use a bath oil like pure mineral or castor oil, then pat dry.

Then follow up with a moisturizer within 3 min while your skin is still damp/wet. Otherwise you will completely dry ur skin out as Accutane does it's job of stopping oil production by 90 percent!

^ you just mentioned something about steroids...you know when you go to the derm and they apply the dry ice? and if sometimes you have extra spots they inject a needle in the few spots? well i remember that happening to me like years ago and now im wondering...what is that? steroids? all i know is that it was meant to heal quicker and not leave scars or something like that? holy cow and what if it was steroids? what are the side effects? do anything shrink after time or anything like that??