Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chicky1

am i being realistic?

So, my face is covered in blackheads and clogged pores. There is not a patch of clear skin on my forehead, and my nose is even worse. I dont get zits (except the one per month) anymore, and my skin is not oily either, thanks to BCP. Yet, im more depressed than ever. I was considering a low-dose accutance, but im really worried about hairloss and dry eyes. My eyes are already really dry (to the point that it hurts being in a room with a/c) and ive been having issues with my hair.

Ive ordered retin-a gel and tazorac in hopes that it will help. I am just wondering if I am being realistic. My clogged pores are really bad, and I have a feeling that retin-a will just make me peel and not do much. Ive already tried topical isotrex and diacneal, and no change.

Should i just bite the bullet and go for accutane? would you see any improvement with 10mg? Please help - i cant even look in the mirror anymore:(

I got my pores fairly clear with Green Cream, mandelic and salicylic acid, but still had issues with congestion, mostly on my nose and chin.

Last fall, I started on 10mg/day of Accutane and did that for 60 days. During the first 30, the pores purged pretty constantly, and then it started slowing down. By the end of 60, all pores were perfectly clear except for a few on my nose ..... and those were miniscule, colorless plugs, not blackheads.

I never got an inflamed pimple during the purge, it was just the plugs surfacing.

Side effects: Some mild peeling on my lips and around my nostrils. A couple of nosebleeds, which may or may not have been Accutane-related .... it's winter, after all, and the air is really dry.

After 60 days, I cut back to 30 mg/week. So far, my pores are staying clear, and my nose is actually continuing to improve. I still get some of the tiny plugs there, but not very many of them, and less frequently.

Side effects: None.

I can't promise that your experience would be as good as mine ..... but I found low-dose Accutane incredibly effective and practically painless.

I got my pores fairly clear with Green Cream, mandelic and salicylic acid, but still had issues with congestion, mostly on my nose and chin.

Last fall, I started on 10mg/day of Accutane and did that for 60 days. During the first 30, the pores purged pretty constantly, and then it started slowing down. By the end of 60, all pores were perfectly clear except for a few on my nose ..... and those were miniscule, colorless plugs, not blackheads.

I never got an inflamed pimple during the purge, it was just the plugs surfacing.

Side effects: Some mild peeling on my lips and around my nostrils. A couple of nosebleeds, which may or may not have been Accutane-related .... it's winter, after all, and the air is really dry.

After 60 days, I cut back to 30 mg/week. So far, my pores are staying clear, and my nose is actually continuing to improve. I still get some of the tiny plugs there, but not very many of them, and less frequently.

Side effects: None.

I can't promise that your experience would be as good as mine ..... but I found low-dose Accutane incredibly effective and practically painless.

I have a few enlarged pores on my nose which are permanently scarred. Luckily they are not very noticeable. Aside from that, my skin is extremely smooth and healthy-looking.

I'll be on 30 mg/week for most of this year. I think my course ends in late September.

I have a few enlarged pores on my nose which are permanently scarred. Luckily they are not very noticeable. Aside from that, my skin is extremely smooth and healthy-looking.

I'll be on 30 mg/week for most of this year. I think my course ends in late September.

I don't think so, as long as you moisturize properly.

Accutane is a retinoid .... it stimulates collagen production, as does Retin A.

I just want to add. Have you tried taking Fish oil for your dry eyes? My eye doctor recommended that to me and it's amazing. My eyes used to burn all the time especially after taking a hot shower (I don't know why) but if I take my fish oil like I'm suppose to it's so much better. You might want to try it. If you do go with the Accutane low dose you could try upping the dosage of Fish oil to counter the drying effects. Plus it's good for your skin, joints, and heart.

LIONQUEEN do you think i could have IPL or FRAXEL done being on a low dose of accutane like yourself?

I've had clogged pores and blackheads on my nose for over 10 years and i've picked them which has created dents..So i just want to get rid of them once and for all!

thanks.

I just want to add. Have you tried taking Fish oil for your dry eyes? My eye doctor recommended that to me and it's amazing. My eyes used to burn all the time especially after taking a hot shower (I don't know why) but if I take my fish oil like I'm suppose to it's so much better. You might want to try it. If you do go with the Accutane low dose you could try upping the dosage of Fish oil to counter the drying effects. Plus it's good for your skin, joints, and heart.

I can pretty much guarantee you that anyone administering such treatments will want you to stop taking Accutane at least 4 weeks beforehand .... maybe more. Whether that's entirely necessary with a low-dose regimen I can't say, but I am 100% sure they'll want to play it safe.

I can't say. I'm still on it.

Based on what I've seen on the board ..... some people have a recurrence of acne post-Accutane and some don't. Seems like the best bet is to get clear with Accutane and try to maintain your skin with a topical retinoid. But even then, the oil could come back.

I take fish oil every day.. maybe i need to change brand though (mine are very cheap:))

I have a question though, can you be on accutane and have cosmetic surgery (lower eye lid)? Or if i decide to go for accutance, would it be ok to have the surgery a month before i go on it?

LIONQUEEN do you think i could have IPL or FRAXEL done being on a low dose of accutane like yourself?

I've had clogged pores and blackheads on my nose for over 10 years and i've picked them which has created dents..So i just want to get rid of them once and for all!

thanks.

How does anyone actually get accutane for blackheads and congested pores because I've been to a fair share of dermatologists who refuse to give it to me because I do not have cystic acne (anymore); one doctor said treating blackheads with accutane is like using an atomic bomb in ur apt if you have a roach problem; haha; but seriously how can i convince a derm to give me low dose accutane-----------it's near impossible, at least for me