Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
User47728

Carb-Blockers?

I ordered some liquid gel cap carb blockers on Amazon today, out of curiosity if it would make my day to day life keeping a low carb diet easier. What do you think of them? Do they even work? Someone on here said her mom took some and her adult acne went away, so I'm giving it a shot! It gets tiresome tip-toeing around even healthful things that have sugar in them, like fruit, ya know? This is the one I got: http://www.drugstore.com/qxp91623_333181_s...id_gel_caps.htm

I saw that post too. I think she said her mom used Carb Phaser. I found it online, and it has chromium. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bioc/carb.html

I think you might want to look into chromium. In fact, it reminds me that things have gotten alot worse for me since I ran out of the "diet pill" that I used to take (can't find it where I live now, plus I didn't need to lose as much weight anymore) and it was based around chromium and citrimax. I got the citrimax but not the chromium and I seem to be breaking out more often. Chromium helps regulate blood sugar.

Do you take chromium already with some of your supplements?

Carb phaser is just the brand name of a carb blocker. They all use what they've named Phase 2 which is a white kidney bean extract that blocks the enzyme alpha-amylase, which is the digestive enzyme that is responsible fore converting starch and carbohydrates into absorbable sugars.

It may well help - but i don't consider it healthy or a good long term plan! Like glennart said - those blocked carbs have to go somewhere!

I know, in the ideal world, we would all eat perfectly 100% of the time, but realistically, life happens: holidays, birthdays, special occasions, family get-togethers. "You're not eating this food I made for you why??" It's just hard for a lot of people. So it would be nice if there was something that could be taken for those cases when eating perfectly isn't possible. Anyway, I'll give it shot, and let you know what happens, better or worse.

I´m really curiouse of your results LiliVG!!! I have just ordered some carb blockers my self. So keep posting!! :)

I know, in the ideal world, we would all eat perfectly 100% of the time, but realistically, life happens: holidays, birthdays, special occasions, family get-togethers. "You're not eating this food I made for you why??" It's just hard for a lot of people. So it would be nice if there was something that could be taken for those cases when eating perfectly isn't possible. Anyway, I'll give it shot, and let you know what happens, better or worse.

As far as I know carb-blockes works only for complex carbs (polysaccarides)

Yes they tend to be "starch" blockers.

This could actually make your acne worse. You know about the SCD diet?

Well it's designed to preventstarch from reaching your colon(this diet is also known to clear acne in many cases). But if you use carb-blockers you will do the exact opposite. This will lead to a large amount of fermentation in your large bowel(bad!) and you will be constantly farting. Some people have theorized that this fermentation creates nasty substances that eventually gets excreted through the skin - thus causing acne.

Glennart! Do you mean that those people who have theorized about the fermentation has done it with the "starch"-blockers in mind? And the SCD diet would be a better choise?

An update:

I haven't tried the carb blockers yet, Glennart made me paranoid about giving myself a breakout! lol

I can't effectively test anything right now because I might be pregnant, which clears my skin on it's own for at least a couple months so there's no way I'd be able to tell if something was working or not right now.

Oh concratulations!!! That´s wonderful! I understand you can´t try anything. Well I might try it even though I too got a little paranoid. But I haven´t got much to lose.

God luck with everything!/Anna

If what glennart and livesinabox said about how carb blockers work, then I would think the much cheaper psyllium husk is a better choice. Especially if it's a nutritionally void meal anyway.

One thing I'd like is an idea how much to take. Like how many capsules before a slice of birthday cake?

I´ve been trying to find some information about how much white kidney beans ( Phaseolus Vulgarisone) one carb blocker pill equals but I can´t find anything. Does anyone know how to find that information?