Notifications
Clear all

Wheatgrass

MemberMember
(@calla-lily)

Posted : 02/04/2008 7:29 pm

1) Who here has/is taking it? Has it helped?

2) I read that it contains 11% iodine. Will that cause problems?

3) What's the best way to get it? In supplement? If it actually comes in the form of grass should I just blend it into a green smoothie or something?

4) Where can I find it?

MemberMember
(@lutya)

Posted : 02/04/2008 8:24 pm

I can't answer your questions but I'm interested in the answers. I bought some organic red wheatgrass seeds awhile ago to grow for my cat to eat as cat grass but it seemed to give her gas. So, if it would be healthy for ME to add to smoothies, I would start growing it again. Look forward to seeing if anyone knows more about this.

MemberMember
(@glass-danse)

Posted : 02/04/2008 8:31 pm

I get wheatgrass from jamba juice. ive been told a couple of times that is just has so many health benefits

MemberMember
(@calla-lily)

Posted : 02/05/2008 1:07 am

Well, I had some free time so I decided to do some snooping around for myself. I searched the whole holistic forum and there was barely anything I could dig up. I guess it's not a very popular topic here, so I figured I might as well type out everything I learn about it here and save someone else the trouble.

From what I gather, you can buy shots of wheatgrass juice at juice bars, but obviously that gets expensive after a while. The best way to take wheatgrass is by juice, but that implies one would have to juice it. How do you juice wheatgrass? You buy a wheatgrass juicer... lol. It's expensive to keep buying shots of it or even get it at health food stores so growing it yourself seems like the best solution.

About Wheatgrass

Supposedly it has all these benefits:

• neutralizing toxins and carcinogens in the body
  • improving blood sugar disorders
  • helping prevent tooth decay
  • increasing hemoglobin production
  • keeping hair from graying
  • improving digestion
  • reducing high blood pressure
  • aiding in the prevention and curing of cancer

Wheatgrass is considered one of the green "super" foods, along with barley grass, spirulina, and alfalfa. (The list doesn't stop there, I just can't find exactly what else there is.)

When grown in organic soil wheatgrass retains 82 out of the 92 minerals that are present in soil and 1oz of wheatgrass juice is said to contain the same amount of nutrients as 2.5 lbs of green vegetables.

What are some of the benefits of Wheatgrass?

"An analysis of blood samples drawn from more than two hundred Hippocrates guests before and after the two week program gave scientific support to our observations. Performed at the Arthur Testing laboratory, the study showed that within two weeks of following the Hippocrates live food diet and drinking wheatgrass juice, the blood is detoxified and the immune system strengthened. These changes lead to more energy and an improved ability to combat and reverse illness."

-Dr. Ann Wigmore

MemberMember
(@jules-2)

Posted : 02/06/2008 12:06 am

Oh heck yeah, wheatgrass is amazing. I made that stuff almost everyday when I worked at 24-hour fitness. I believe I kept the paper that has like 50 facts/positive things wheatgrass does for you. One of them is curing acne. It always gave me such an energy boost--probably the iodine (didn't know it had 11%, thanks for the info btw), and since my thyroid is retarded, iodine gets my metabolism working.

I'd be happy to list some of the things wheatgrass does if I can find that piece of paper in one of my fitness binders. :]

MemberMember
(@calla-lily)

Posted : 02/06/2008 12:40 am

Oh heck yeah, wheatgrass is amazing. I made that stuff almost everyday when I worked at 24-hour fitness. I believe I kept the paper that has like 50 facts/positive things wheatgrass does for you. One of them is curing acne. It always gave me such an energy boost--probably the iodine (didn't know it had 11%, thanks for the info btw), and since my thyroid is retarded, iodine gets my metabolism working.

I'd be happy to list some of the things wheatgrass does if I can find that piece of paper in one of my fitness binders. :]

MemberMember
(@kramerica)

Posted : 02/06/2008 8:25 am

Calla Lily,

I've been using a product called Core Greens from a company called Synergy for about 3 weeks. I mix 1/2 scoop in a 1/2 liter water bottle once or twice a day. Its main ingredient is wheat grass. It's a lot easier than pressing your own wheat grass. Here's a list of the ingredients and some quotes from the product.

Ingredients

Wheat Grass, Kamut Whole Leaf Powder, Oat Sprout Powder, Barley Grass, Lemon Grass, Avocado Fruit Powder, Cucumber Powder, Okra Powder, Celery Seed Powder, Parsley Leaves, Spinach Powder, Kale Powder, Broccoli Powder, Cabbage Powder, Tomato Fruit Powder, Watercress Leaves, Wintergreen Leaves Powder, Peppermint Leaves, Rosemary Leaves, Sage Leaves, Spearmint Leaves & Flowers, Thyme Leaves.

Benefits

Phytonutrients provide powerful health-protective benefits

Antioxidants combat free radicals and help counter cell damage

Chlorophyll enhances immunity and protects cells

Green Fusion Technology harnesses the power of the sun

Brings you the green fire of photosynthesis in an easily digestible form

Alkalizing formula hydrates and detoxifies the body

Greens enhance energy and provide nutrition

Recommended Uses

Mix one serving (one scoop) in one liter of water daily. Mix briskly.

"Doctors and nutritionists alike unanimously proclaim the importance of large amounts of fruits and vegetables in a healthy diet. But finding the time to eat the

recommended five to nine servings a day can be a daunting task. Synergy's Core Greens and its enhanced Green Fusion technology help you bridge the gap and provide the protection your body needs for optimal health and continual vigor."

MemberMember
(@matheus)

Posted : 02/06/2008 9:57 am

My ibs has been bothering me lately and I don't understand why. I think I'll bulk up on wheatgrass and hopefully I can get better. Thanks for making this topic! :)

MemberMember
(@tdot)

Posted : 02/06/2008 11:01 am

This may sound a stupid question but would wheatgrass have gluten in it? hHahaha... I dunno just asking....

MemberMember
(@calla-lily)

Posted : 02/06/2008 12:41 pm

Thanks HBC, that looks like a promising product. I would buy it but it's like $50 and I don't want to order it online, so I'll try to find some cheaper alternatives for now.

Matheus, let us know how it goes! :D

Tdot, wheatgrass is gluten-free because it's cut before the grain forms. :)

MemberMember
(@jules-2)

Posted : 02/06/2008 2:16 pm

Did you notice if wheatgrass helped your skin any?

And if you ever found that list of things wheatgrass does, it would be great to read it! I'm interested in trying it myself. Even if doesn't clear acne and stuff it sounds like it would be a good thing to take for general health.

MemberMember
(@lutya)

Posted : 02/06/2008 3:19 pm

Thanks HBC, that looks like a promising product. I would buy it but it's like $50 and I don't want to order it online, so I'll try to find some cheaper alternatives for now.
MemberMember
(@kramerica)

Posted : 02/06/2008 4:03 pm

Calla lily,

Yeah, the Core Greens are expensive although the jar does last a full month if taken by instructions. Luckily, a good friend of mine is a chiropractor and has a Synergy account, so I can get the Core Greens through him for $30 a jar.

MemberMember
(@deantonio)

Posted : 02/06/2008 4:50 pm

This may sound a stupid question but would wheatgrass have gluten in it? hHahaha... I dunno just asking....
MemberMember
(@lutya)

Posted : 02/06/2008 8:43 pm

It does grow really fast. You soak the seeds covered in just a little water in a warm dark place for about 12-24 hours until they start to sprout and then you plant them. Within a few days they are growing like crazy. I would say after a week it'll be long enough to start cutting. Now I need to go plant more of mine!

MemberMember
(@calla-lily)

Posted : 02/09/2008 7:43 pm

EGADS!! I'm so excited. I ordered the seeds from the Ebay seller you suggested, Lutya, and they arrived today, Saturday afternoon!

I'll soak some of them in a few minutes. I wonder how long a supply of 5600+ seeds will last?

Oh! I'm also thinking, when I plant these in soil, I will sprinkle in some epsom salts to get some added benefits of magnesium.

*bounces* It seems that I've gotten the energy-boost effect just by looking at the seeds...

MemberMember
(@sie)

Posted : 02/09/2008 7:48 pm

The ONLY thing I know about wg is that if you get a shot of it at a healthbar and get an instant allergic reaction, it is probably not the wg, but some mold that grows in the dampness...so if you get allergic reaction, don't give up on wg,just adjust the way you are growing it. There should be more info on this online.

MemberMember
(@calla-lily)

Posted : 02/09/2008 7:51 pm

^Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 02/09/2008 10:02 pm

3) What's the best way to get it? In supplement? If it actually comes in the form of grass should I just blend it into a green smoothie or something?

4) Where can I find it?

MemberMember
(@blonde_boy)

Posted : 02/10/2008 1:28 am

my local juice bar

does wheat grass shooters (funny name)

its a 300 mill pure wheat grass shot. of blended wheat grass.

taste like crap

but the lil brochure that comes with it is very convincing with all its health benefits.

it just taste terrible and every time i burp for about 3 hours after its all i can taste

MemberMember
(@calla-lily)

Posted : 02/10/2008 2:29 pm

4) Where can I find it?

You NEED iodine. Iodine is a very important nutrient. So getting it anyway you can is good.

Im taking 50mgs a day right now, well pulse dosing (usually 4-5 days on, then 3 days off to let my body catch up with the detox). Iodine is very very important to many systems in the body, and its also neccessary to detox the dangerous halogens such as flouride and bromide (detoxing these is not a fun process trust me). Its the level of detox that iodine brings about that causes people to sometimes think it causes acne. Actually it would help your body (and therefor acne) in the long run because you need to get these toxins out of your system.

As far as wheatgrass, I dont use it personally, because Im on a gluten free diet for the time being (until hopefully my body gets healthy enough to where I can handle more foods without negative reactions) but I imagine, if you have no sensitivity to gluten, wheatgrass would be good. It has a lot of nutrients. You can juice it into shots, or you can add it into smoothies, however you like it.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/10/2008 3:56 pm

I saw this thread and I thought I would let you know my experience with wheatgrass. I took it in tablet form for about 2 years or so and for another 6 months in powdered form mixed into juice. During that time I would have outbreaks of pimples reasonably regularly, and the last year or so in particular, the pimple I did get would be deeper and last a lot longer on my skin (sometimes months).

Then this year I took 2 months off to visit south america, and didn't bother with the wheatgrass since I wanted to travel light, and quite literally since then my pimples have all but cleared up, and the odd one that does pop up (very infrequent now) is gone almost immediately (ie with 2-3 days at most).

At first I wasn't sure what was the cause of the change in my skin so when I returned I gradually introduced things again (ie face wash, certain foods and supplements, and the wheat grass), as soon as I took the wheat grass I received my first real break out in over 2 months. I stopped taking it almost straight away and now am averaging one minor pimple a month which is usually gone very quickly.

I'm not saying wheatgrass might not help other people but it definitely had a negative effect on my skin, plus I really notice no difference in the way I feel when I am am on it. I'm sure a reasonable diet it a good substitute :-).

Hope this helps.

- Fletch

MemberMember
(@jillian21)

Posted : 04/06/2010 1:32 am

Hey. Im new to acne.org and i came across this blog.

I have taken wheatgrass for my acne. It seriously is a miracle juice. BtW, it doesn't have gluten. I know the word "wheat" is in there, but it does not contain gluten.

Anyways, back on track, I had pretty bad acne and really bad scars. I started drinking 2 oz. of wheatgrass about five times a week and my skin got clear in about 6 weeks. I usually broke out alot during my time of the month, but once I started drinking wheatgrass, I didn't even break out during my period anymore and I think because the enzymes regulated my hormones. I highly recommend drinking wheatgrass, not just because it gives you glowing, youthful skin but it has sooo many other health benefits as well. if you don't want to grow and juice wheatgrass yourself, jamba juice sells organic wheatgrass shots, or im sure any health food store or juice bar. It tastes, well, like grass, but plug your nose when you drink it. It can make you feel sick if you drink it on an empty stomach so I recommend eating something before or after. Most importantly, stick with it. I had stopped drinking it and a couple months later I got severe acne, worse than I had before, so be careful. I dont know if that happened because I stopped drinking it, or because of stress, I have no idea. Just to be on the safe side, keep drinking it.

Hope this helps. I know alot more about wheatgrass than just this, and I obviously am experienced with it, so let me know if you have any further questions =)

P.S. eat more raw, whole foods. Cooking your foods destroys the enzymes and nutrients that your body needs.

MemberMember
(@lunabellex)

Posted : 09/25/2010 4:11 pm

Hello everyone! My sister gives my teenage niece a shot of wheatgrass every day for her acne and sensitive skin. It's done amazing things for her - completely transformed her skin.

Having seen that and having struggled with acne myself I did some research and wrote an article on wheatgrass and started taking it myself. It really is something amazing. You can look over the article if you want, there's a list of the health benefits, if your interested...

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *

MemberMember
(@eatpraylove)

Posted : 09/27/2010 2:50 am

Hey. Im new to acne.org and i came across this blog.

I have taken wheatgrass for my acne. It seriously is a miracle juice. BtW, it doesn't have gluten. I know the word "wheat" is in there, but it does not contain gluten.

Anyways, back on track, I had pretty bad acne and really bad scars. I started drinking 2 oz. of wheatgrass about five times a week and my skin got clear in about 6 weeks. I usually broke out alot during my time of the month, but once I started drinking wheatgrass, I didn't even break out during my period anymore and I think because the enzymes regulated my hormones. I highly recommend drinking wheatgrass, not just because it gives you glowing, youthful skin but it has sooo many other health benefits as well. if you don't want to grow and juice wheatgrass yourself, jamba juice sells organic wheatgrass shots, or im sure any health food store or juice bar. It tastes, well, like grass, but plug your nose when you drink it. It can make you feel sick if you drink it on an empty stomach so I recommend eating something before or after. Most importantly, stick with it. I had stopped drinking it and a couple months later I got severe acne, worse than I had before, so be careful. I dont know if that happened because I stopped drinking it, or because of stress, I have no idea. Just to be on the safe side, keep drinking it.

Hope this helps. I know alot more about wheatgrass than just this, and I obviously am experienced with it, so let me know if you have any further questions =)

P.S. eat more raw, whole foods. Cooking your foods destroys the enzymes and nutrients that your body needs.

Hi, thanks for the info. :) I've been using wheatgrass for more than 6 months now. It has helped me quite a bit but compared to the reviews I'm reading, unfortunately, the result is not as dramatic as in my case. :( But yeah, I think it has its own share of health benefits. But as far as my acne is concerned, though it has helped, the result may be inconsistent. There are weeks when I thought I was going completely clear, then all of a sudden, the breakouts happen again.

Just a question, is wheatgrass rich in carbohydrates? Cause my derma advised me to limit the intake of foods high in carbs. But then, that would be contradictory to the positive effects of wheatgrass on acne.