Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zitophobe

"Cetaphil non-irritating cleanser"

Hi all, I'm looking at Cetaphil cleansers, but the only one available in the UK is called "non-irritating cleanser". I've looked on the US site but it doesn't exist, there is only "Gentle skin cleanser" and "Daily Facial cleanser for normal to oily skin".

So my question is....is the one called 'non-irritating' also non-comedogenic, as I can find no info or ingredients list. Would you recommend it? I've also been told it leaves a moisturizing residue behind, which I'm concerned will stop my BP cream being absorbed properly.

Hey Zitophobe,

I am in Canada and having be using the cetaphil cleanser for about 12 months and for the last 7 months as part of my BP regimen.

Here is the description

Gentle Skin Cleanser

for sensitive skin

non-comedogenic and non-irritating

The ingredients are

purified water, cetyl alcohol, propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearyl alcohol, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben.

It is a 460ml bottle with a pump. It lasts me about 3 months on a two time daily usage routine. If this is the first time, it is a little wierd and takes a week or two to get used to as it creates no lather at all. Once you are comfortable with the idea of no lather, using it feels great every time. It's a great product.

Wikil thanks for your reply and for kindly providing the ingredients list. Is that for the one called "Gentle Skin Cleanser" though....the product I'm asking about is called "non-irritating cleanser" (the only one available in the UK)....they all seem to have different names which is what's confused me.

Just checking out the ingredients on zerozits.com's bad list (0=non-comedogenic, 5=highly comedogenic)

cetyl alcohol - 2

propylene glycol - 0

sodium lauryl sulfate - 5!

stearyl alcohol - 2

methylparaben - 0

propylparaben - 0

butylparaben - ?

How can it claim to be non-comedogenic if it contains sodium lauryl sulfate?!?

Can anyone recommend an alternative cleanser available in the UK? Thanks for your help guys.

When it comes to Cetaphil, I'm pretty sure Paula Begoun (who's pretty much recognized as an authority on skincare/cosmetics...her website is www.cosmeticscop.com) has said that the amount of sodium lauryl sulfate in the cleanser is not enough to be troublesome. Of course, I can't find that now, because she has revamped her product reviews on her website and now only has an "at a glance" review of cetaphil.

Of course, we must remember that there's no guarantee that the ingredients listed are the same formulation as your "non-irritating cleanser". I tried to look them up, but to no avail. I would go to a drugstore, find it, look at the ingredients, and then come back and look them up.

But for the most part, cetaphil is a pretty trusted brand. Yes, a few people have had bad reactions, but everybody has had a bad reaction to something.

Thanks for your reply and advice. Unfortunately I can't check out the ingredients at a store as it's only available online, and the websites selling it don't give any details...nor do they answer my emails!

Well that's not fun!

From what I can tell, Cetaphil has just been launched in the UK (according to www.cetaphil.co.uk), and so that could explain why it isn't available everywhere.

Hmmm.

Well, you could always try it. Like I said, it's a been a pretty trustworthy company over the years.

Edit: I found on the website (the skin care expert FAQ section) this concerning SLS:

What is a surfactant and how do they influence gentleness?

Surfactants are used in all soaps and cleansers to help in their cleaning role. The number of different surfactants used as well as their quantities / concentrations can influence gentleness. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser contains only a very small quantity of the surfactant, sodium lauryl sulphate.

Does a cleanser need to be pH neutral to be gentle?

Yes. As the skin is slightly acid, cleansers should be pH balanced. Soaps on the other hand are alkaline and as such can affect the skin’s protective acid mantle. Cetaphil is pH balanced, so cleanses gently.

Does a cleanser need to foam or lather to cleanse?

No. A cleanser does not need to foam and lather in order to cleanse the skin. Indeed greater foaming and lathering usually indicates higher concentrations of surfactants and therefore can be more drying to the skin. Cetaphil Non-Irritating Cleanser only contains a small quantity of surfactant, which means that it does not foam very much and more importantly that it tends not to dry the skin out.

//so from this I would guess that the Gentle Skin Cleanser and the Non-Irritating Cleanser are either the same formulation or very close, given that they're both mentioned in relation to this topic.

Thank you so much for your help :) Its reassuring to know that about the sodium lauryl sulphate, especially as that's what worried me about the cleanser my derm gave me.

I have checked out the cetaphil uk website. The packaging is surely different from that in North America, but the product description is almost a perfect word for word match. You could try calling the number on the website and inquiring whether it has the exact formulation as that in N.America.

At the insistence of my wife, she recommended that I try Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser again. I hadn't used it in 5 years, and was highly skeptical! The ingredients in there scare me to death! I'm very surprised at how well it has actually worked! I gave it a go, and I'll be damned! I know Brandy probably won't believe this one after all my rants against chemicals and Cetaphil, in particular!

Lubrication and protection....always a good combination hehe ;) Glad it's working for you.

I decided to order some Cetaphil cleanser, only used it for 2 days so far so still too early to comment. If anyone is considering trying it, I emailed Cetaphil UK and they sent me some samples the very next day, good service.