Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nativetexan23

Recovery from Silicone Microdroplet/ Exoderm update of sorts.

Hey everybody! It's been a long time since I have posted on here (probably about 4 years). Anyways I had Exoderm by Dr. Rullan around that time. Saw decent results, sorry no "horror stories or anything" Any more questions just ask and I will try to answer. Okay, so i am going to go see Dr. Alkek in Dallas and see about getting a series of silicone fillers done. I don't expect perfectly smooth skin. My scarring pretty much totally goes away when I stretch my skin out, except for a couple spots. I don't really have any deep pits just some moderate scarring in the middle of my cheeks and temples. QUESTION IS: Any recommendations for recovery agents to help out with possible collagen buildup? I am a pretty avid weightlifter/freelance bodybuilder (if thats the right term...) who always gets 1 gram of protein per my bodyweight (195 pounds) I think that protein is very important for anti-aging, recovery from exercise, prevention of getting fat, preventing muscle loss and a slew of other things blah,blah,blah. I think it could help collagen but I have no other science to back it up. Other than that possibility what other recommendations???

Hey everybody! It's been a long time since I have posted on here (probably about 4 years). Anyways I had Exoderm by Dr. Rullan around that time. Saw decent results, sorry no "horror stories or anything" Any more questions just ask and I will try to answer. Okay, so i am going to go see Dr. Alkek in Dallas and see about getting a series of silicone fillers done. I don't expect perfectly smooth skin. My scarring pretty much totally goes away when I stretch my skin out, except for a couple spots. I don't really have any deep pits just some moderate scarring in the middle of my cheeks and temples. QUESTION IS: Any recommendations for recovery agents to help out with possible collagen buildup? I am a pretty avid weightlifter/freelance bodybuilder (if thats the right term...) who always gets 1 gram of protein per my bodyweight (195 pounds) I think that protein is very important for anti-aging, recovery from exercise, prevention of getting fat, preventing muscle loss and a slew of other things blah,blah,blah. I think it could help collagen but I have no other science to back it up. Other than that possibility what other recommendations???

Protein supplements are great for collagen build up. Collagen as we all know, is protein, and what better way to set the foundation for your body to build collagen than to take protein supplements[such as whey] they have a ton, and a wide range, of amino acids, the building blocks of protein.

A good multi-vitamin, copper peptides, retin-a, and hylaroninc acid[sp?] seems to all be great supplements/topicals in assisting collagen buildup.

Weight lifting will definently help people undergoing scar revision. It is proven that for a few hours after a workout the body produces more testosterone (both free and total test) Not only that but a surge in growth hormone is seen post workout. Both of these are great for collagen production and general skin healing. See the post above from topicals to use after scar revision, I would definently recomend the use of vitamin C orally about 1 gram a day...

I use Glutamine for post workout recovery. You are probably very familiar with it and it is also used to enhance healing. The product that I use is Beatancourt Glutamine that I buy at a local vitamin store. One serving - one scoop - also has one gram of vit. C in it. I have noticed a great post workout recovery improvement so it may also be helpful in collagen rebuilidng.

I use Glutamine for post workout recovery. You are probably very familiar with it and it is also used to enhance healing. The product that I use is Beatancourt Glutamine that I buy at a local vitamin store. One serving - one scoop - also has one gram of vit. C in it. I have noticed a great post workout recovery improvement so it may also be helpful in collagen rebuilidng.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I did use Glutamine for a while a few years back but I just really tried to keep it basic after taking a ton of supplements (and spending alot of money too) for a good 3 or 4 years. I will give it a try post procedure and also liked the idea of the vitamin C, probably will stack those two together with sufficient protein intake (possibly even up the branched chain amino acid intake). Still deciding on the copper peptides, not swayed one way or the other... Anyways, I will try to get a digital camera in the next few days and keep a photo type journal by taking pics every 2 or 3 weeks from a distance of around 2 feet in average type harsh lighting (not super harsh!! but enough where the scars DEFINITELY show up) straight ahead. In this type of lighting when my skin is stretched the majority of scars do disappear, and that is all I am looking for!! Not expecting flawless male model skin but just want to get rid of that definite hollowed out look in the cheeks. If I can acheive a still somewhat coarse texture to my skin but without a real "scarring" type look then I will be happy and done with these procedures forever and try to be content (except for the possible touch up from time to time.)

I am sure it is true that auxiliary supplements can/do play a factor in healing, however in the case of silikon 1000, it probably is not much of a factor. You will heal from it in 5-6 days, or at least I do, and I do not use any of the healing enhancer agents. For all practical purposes, and compared to other scar procedures, there is basically no heal time from silikon 1000 molding injection, or at least I do not consider 5-6 days much to worry about at all.. It will also looks its finest during this quick heal. When it is healed, you will have lost most of it, but 20% stays around, and it can be added to in 1-3 months...It is the stuff life scar revisions, ect that take so long to heal from, that stuff is when this stuff you speak of can make the difference I think.

I am sure it is true that auxiliary supplements can/do play a factor in healing, however in the case of silikon 1000, it probably is not much of a factor. You will heal from it in 5-6 days, or at least I do, and I do not use any of the healing enhancer agents. For all practical purposes, and compared to other scar procedures, there is basically no heal time from silikon 1000 molding injection, or at least I do not consider 5-6 days much to worry about at all.. It will also looks its finest during this quick heal. When it is healed, you will have lost most of it, but 20% stays around, and it can be added to in 1-3 months...It is the stuff life scar revisions, ect that take so long to heal from, that stuff is when this stuff you speak of can make the difference I think.

That makes since. I guess it would be of better use for doing a procedure such as TCA cross or things of that nature...

I had another question for you, I forgot to ask earlier! So, tired just drove from Laredo all the way to Dallas.... Did you notice any swelling/bruising after the procedure and if so how bad and how long? I would like to go to work the next day, but really could do without the 100's of questions of why my face looks so weird all of the sudden!

I had another question for you, I forgot to ask earlier! So, tired just drove from Laredo all the way to Dallas.... Did you notice any swelling/bruising after the procedure and if so how bad and how long? I would like to go to work the next day, but really could do without the 100's of questions of why my face looks so weird all of the sudden!

The swelling in bruising is indeed what it is that takes you 5-6 days to heal from. Black, blue, purple, swollen, ect.. That is the deal for 5-6 days.. Maybe longer for you.. Take at least 4-5 days off, and/or use a perfect skin tone match of makeup. People will defiantly be able to tell if its anywhere on your face for the first week. That is the trade-off for 20% improvement. There is no other way.

The swelling in bruising is indeed what it is that takes you 5-6 days to heal from. Black, blue, purple, swollen, ect.. That is the deal for 5-6 days.. Maybe longer for you.. Take at least 4-5 days off, and/or use a perfect skin tone match of makeup. People will defiantly be able to tell if its anywhere on your face for the first week. That is the trade-off for 20% improvement. There is no other way.

Did you ever try using an ice pack or something like that to help out with the swelling? 4 or 5 days, that kind of sucks but you are right it is worth the few days for improvement.

UPDATE: I just got done with my first round of Silicone fillers with Dr. Alkek. He said that I should have some pretty good results after stretching my skin in the scarred areas. There are 2 or 3 ice picks that probably aren't going to do much but that's cool, they are pretty small anyways and I am not going for perfection here.... The assistant said I have alot of saucer type scarring. Overall everyone there was very nice. Dr. Alkek was really cool and personable. He injected me with "3/10s" (i believe that's what he said.) I got a numbing agent on (two rounds) and sat in the procedure room, watched a little "Mythbusters" for about 25 minutes. Dr. Alkek then came in and marked the area, and injected my face in the scarred areas. Total time between the marking and the injections was no longer than ten minutes. A little sensitive in certain areas, but really nothing bad at all. Put the icepack on to help with the swelling for about 10 minutes. Then put some paper towels or something of that nature to get some of the slight bleeding that occured. I scheduled another appointment for next month and was out the door. Went to the bathroom to get a look at how my face appeared, I was pretty red in the areas he injected. I know that we who have had scarring for a long time really know where they are backwards and forwards, and let me tell you, Dr. Alkek was spot on with injecting the scars, big and small. The pattern of scarring was red down to a "T" as far as I can tell. I literally got the injections about an hour ago and I must say the redness has come down quite a bit. Depending on the onset of some bruising tomorrow morning, I bet just go to work a day or two earlier than I had planned. But anways folks, I am the real deal I am a four year veteran of this site. I have done, 1. Needling with Frank from Transitions. 2. Two rounds of Smoothbeam. 3. Exoderm with Dr. Rullan. Now I know that there are people on here that have spent thousands more on procedures, and have tried alot more procedures but I have at least dabbled in this scar correction thing enough to be considered a legit evaluator. I am not here to b.s. anyone I will give an honest evaluation of this procedure around 6 months from now.

UPDATE: I just got done with my first round of Silicone fillers with Dr. Alkek. He said that I should have some pretty good results after stretching my skin in the scarred areas. There are 2 or 3 ice picks that probably aren't going to do much but that's cool, they are pretty small anyways and I am not going for perfection here.... The assistant said I have alot of saucer type scarring. Overall everyone there was very nice. Dr. Alkek was really cool and personable. He injected me with "3/10s" (i believe that's what he said.) I got a numbing agent on (two rounds) and sat in the procedure room, watched a little "Mythbusters" for about 25 minutes. Dr. Alkek then came in and marked the area, and injected my face in the scarred areas. Total time between the marking and the injections was no longer than ten minutes. A little sensitive in certain areas, but really nothing bad at all. Put the icepack on to help with the swelling for about 10 minutes. Then put some paper towels or something of that nature to get some of the slight bleeding that occured. I scheduled another appointment for next month and was out the door. Went to the bathroom to get a look at how my face appeared, I was pretty red in the areas he injected. I know that we who have had scarring for a long time really know where they are backwards and forwards, and let me tell you, Dr. Alkek was spot on with injecting the scars, big and small. The pattern of scarring was red down to a "T" as far as I can tell. I literally got the injections about an hour ago and I must say the redness has come down quite a bit. Depending on the onset of some bruising tomorrow morning, I bet just go to work a day or two earlier than I had planned. But anways folks, I am the real deal I am a four year veteran of this site. I have done, 1. Needling with Frank from Transitions. 2. Two rounds of Smoothbeam. 3. Exoderm with Dr. Rullan. Now I know that there are people on here that have spent thousands more on procedures, and have tried alot more procedures but I have at least dabbled in this scar correction thing enough to be considered a legit evaluator. I am not here to b.s. anyone I will give an honest evaluation of this procedure around 6 months from now.

How many needling procedures did you do, and what kind of results did u get?

It's been about 10 hours since I got the fillers injected. My face looks really good. :angel: I got a couple little reddish spots on the left side of my face but nothing that really stick out. The parts of my face that I felt him inject a little more silicone seem the be the ones that have a little effect to them. I thought I was going to just stay in my home all day but I think I am probably gonna go out with some friends. I don't think anyone will really notice. I was expecting WAY WORSE as far as bruising/red marks go... 95% sure I will go in to work tomorrow.

Hope your results turn out better than mine did with this. I hardly saw any improvement after 7 rounds, but I am going to go back in for another I think since it has been a while. I am actually in TX for work now, but I don't live here, so I do not have the luxury of seeing dr alkek. wish I did though as my current doc just doesn't inject enough.

Hope your results turn out better than mine did with this. I hardly saw any improvement after 7 rounds, but I am going to go back in for another I think since it has been a while. I am actually in TX for work now, but I don't live here, so I do not have the luxury of seeing dr alkek. wish I did though as my current doc just doesn't inject enough.

I really hope everything turns out well for you. I know you have been through hell trying to get some improvement, has to be really tough and tiring. I gave them permission to use my before and afters in their book and the website ( nobody has allowed them to do this so far for silicone microdroplet from what I can gather from the assistant) but I suppose that will be at least 3 or 4 months down the road... I guess at the very least you can get a consultation from him. He "point blank" told me what scars were most likely not going to improve, so I am not getting my hopes up on them. I am sure that certain doctors are just better at this sort of thing, more qualified. He did tell me that he had this same procedure done on himself years ago. His skin looked pretty good for an older guy I gotta say. BTW, my procedure cost $550 dollars. That was for "3/10ths" of the silicone.

I really hope everything turns out well for you. I know you have been through hell trying to get some improvement, has to be really tough and tiring. I gave them permission to use my before and afters in their book and the website ( nobody has allowed them to do this so far for silicone microdroplet from what I can gather from the assistant) but I suppose that will be at least 3 or 4 months down the road... I guess at the very least you can get a consultation from him. He "point blank" told me what scars were most likely not going to improve, so I am not getting my hopes up on them. I am sure that certain doctors are just better at this sort of thing, more qualified. He did tell me that he had this same procedure done on himself years ago. His skin looked pretty good for an older guy I gotta say. BTW, my procedure cost $550 dollars. That was for "3/10ths" of the silicone.

Sorry, I told you wrong it was $530 just looked at my checkbook.

Thanks for the information and the helpful updates! It's kind of you, and very good of you, to share this with the community.

Thanks for the information and the helpful updates! It's kind of you, and very good of you, to share this with the community.

I am going to try my best to stay on top of this thread for the next 6 months. Won't be able to get on here every night (I travel alot for a living) but should be able to answer any questions and give updates at least every 3 or 4 days. I really have alot of faith in this procedure. We shall see what happens!

Okay so its a little over one day after I had the injections. Bruising is very slight. I have about 3 small (slightly bigger than a nail head) reddish bruises on the left side, definitely noticeable if you knew I had this done, but they are so small so looks just like an old pimple that is just healing. And a very insignificant small red mark on the right side.I dont think the bruising will last more than 2 to 4 days tops. I can almost certain that the bruising on the left side was more because.... A. I could kind of feel him injecting more into those areas and B. that little area where the bruising is, was developed from a short little battle I had with some cystic acne when I was about 21 years old so the scarring was a little deeper I suppose. I think that bout of cystic acne was caused by stress related from a really hard break up and I started using those Murad products which I think really suck, or at least for me. I kind of expected the left side to be worse because it is without a doubt my "bad side" even Dr. Alkek pointed this out when I was on the table. So that's the day after another point of view on this procedure. I have heard some ppl say that the brusing was less than mine and I have heard ppl say it was more so I guess we are all just different and certain factors such as the severity of the scarring probably play a big role in recovery from this.

Nativetexan- How bad would you estimate your scarring to be? Also which type of scars did the doc say would not see much improvement?

Nativetexan- How bad would you estimate your scarring to be? Also which type of scars did the doc say would not see much improvement?

I have no neck or forehead scarring. My right side is my "good side" I have a little cluster of scarring about the size of a dime on my uppercheek bone area, I would catergorize as mild to moderate. On the upper temple of my right side(directly to the side of the eyesocket) is about a quarter size cluster of alot of mild "pinprick" size scarring that accumulates to cover the whole area. When I do the stretch test on the upper temple all the scarring disappears, no problem, doctor said it would be no problem to eliminate. On the cheek area, with the skin stretch if you really look (as we really only do to ourselves) you can see a trace of where the scar was but it is very minimal.

Now. My left side is without a doubt my bad side. The left upper temple is almost a carbon copy of the right side and disappears with the stretch test, again mild scarring, alot of individual scars. If you would picture a beard growth area of an average man, (NOT A GRIZZLY ADAMS MOUNTAIN MAN, but a nicely trimmed kind of low beard just above the jaw line) all that area is scar free skin. Above that area, going to the nasal area, I have a very prominent(at least to me) area of moderate scarring about the size of a grade school students eraser, maybe a lil bigger but not much. When stretched it disappears about 90% maybe a little more. I remember reading about the "stretch test" on here a few years ago, and seriously about 75% that I go into the restroom or whatever I have done a quick little 3 second stretch test, just to kind of get the feeling of having smoother skin, a weird thing to do I suppose. All in all I have seen alot of people that have way worse skin than I do. Even in the worst of my acne I never ever picked my skin and I think that may a reason why the scarring isn't worse than it should be because I had acne for a good 5 years on and off. But as I said earlier even if the results I get from silicone microdroplet duplicate the "stretch test" I will still be left with coarse skin that will be apparent in most of your harsher lighting...

You have an excellent attitude. Best wishes. A lot of people have obtained excellent results with this doctor. I wish I lived around Dallas.

Most of my scarring is also on my left cheek, so I will continue checking your results. I heard it takes several treatments.

Just one question. For the scars he couldn't treat, did those scars have anything in common (very deep, weird shape? location?) Just curious. My dermatologist has no scars on her face except for the temple area. Maybe the skin is too thin in that area for anything, or maybe she just got acne in that area. I just can't ask her that (not lack of trust, she has a very difficult life)

You have an excellent attitude. Best wishes. A lot of people have obtained excellent results with this doctor. I wish I lived around Dallas.

Most of my scarring is also on my left cheek, so I will continue checking your results. I heard it takes several treatments.

Just one question. For the scars he couldn't treat, did those scars have anything in common (very deep, weird shape? location?) Just curious. My dermatologist has no scars on her face except for the temple area. Maybe the skin is too thin in that area for anything, or maybe she just got acne in that area. I just can't ask her that (not lack of trust, she has a very difficult life)

Thank you for the good will. For the first part of your question the things that were in common with that the 3 or 4 scars, that probably were not going to see much improvement were ice pick type scarring, that honestly, I had really never even noticed. They just showed up when he did the "stretch test". They are really small and if they don't get fixed, then it is what it is. I am not going to obsess over 3 or 4 small scars that I never really even noticed in the first place. For the second part, I can totally relate to the temple area thing. My temples were totally smooth and flawless until a short bout with cystic acne around 20 years old (I am 27 years old now) that really scarred that area up. I also understand what you mean about it being really thin there. All that being said my doctor was confident that the temple area would be great results (saying and doing is two different things I realize that but again thats why I am here to judge the results unbiased). I don't think that you could call that area deep or icepick types but when doing the stretch test all of the scars disappear on my right side flawlessly and on the left about 90% except for a little scar that gives a dark mark when stretched. As most of you in here no you scarring can change quite significantly depending on certain factors including but not limited to: time of day, lighting, dryness of skin, how well the procedure you are currently on is working, so if the reports on the type of scarring change a little from post to post then realize that I am doing my best to describe the type of scarring that I have but certain factors might change they way they look from time to time. The best I can do is go look in the mirror 15 second before posting and describe what I see. Another fast update on the healing, I wrote that most of the bruising went down to near nothing in two days which is true. I had a couple spots on the temple area and on the cheeks that seemed to linger for a few more maybe about 5 days (deeper scarring). I can now understand the posts I read from other members of this website that said the bruising would last for 5 or 6 days. If anyone gets this procedure done expect longer healing times for the deeper scars/sites where more was injected. It could be as simple as people with overall worse scarring will see longer healing times. I should also add that I got invited out with some friends to have a couple beers that night, and I felt I looked fine so I went out, HOWEVER alcohol does thin the blood which could lead to more bruising or longer recovery times. That and I am currently doing an 25mgEphedrine/200mgCaffeine/81mgAspirin stack twice daily to get rid of that last bit of abdominal fat before spring time hits. I cut the aspirin out of the equation for 3 days post procedure but Aspirin thins the blood as well...

* UPDATE *

Okay so I just got back from my second round of silicone microdroplet. Dr. Alkek said that I was showing good improvement from the first round. This time he focused alot more on the temple areas and touched up the cheek areas. I think he used a little more silicone this time. The whole procedure cost $600, plus $39 for some Retin-A that he recommended that I use. I got one more procedure one month from today and he said that could be the final touch up and then I will be done for good, so that's exciting. The whole procedure took about 45 minutes in and out. The bleeding was a bit less this time and I think I will be good to go tomorrow, I have those spots right now but it isn't not as bad as last time (again last time really had mild brusing anways). Anyways, its raining right now so I guess I will just take it easy and watch some dvds. I will be around all day if anyone has any questions to ask. So far I still am very excited about this procedure.