Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zitophobe

Dermol blocking my topicals?

My derm prescribed 'Dermol' to use as a cleanser before applying BP/Retin-A. However, I'm concerned by what I've read, as info states that it:

"forms a waterproof barrier over the skin surface. This prevents water within the skin from evaporating and keeps the underlying skin hydrated."

And...

"After washing, the skin should be patted rather than rubbed dry to avoid rubbing off the oil."

Does this mean the 'barrier' is preventing my topicals from being properly absorbed?? I'd like to trust my derm but I'm just not sure :think: The only info I can find says the product is for eczema and dry skin conditions...

Thanks in advance for your opinions, they're appreciated. Here's the info in full for anyone interested:

"Dermol 500 lotion contains four main ingredients: liquid paraffin and isopropyl myristate, both of which have moisturising properties, and benzalkonium chloride and chlorhexidine hydrochloride, which are an antiseptics. Liquid paraffin and isopropyl myristate work by replacing lost water within the skin, and by forming a waterproof barrier over the skin surface. This prevents water within the skin from evaporating and keeps the underlying skin hydrated. Benzalkonium chloride and chlorhexidine hydrochloride have antiseptic properties that help to destroy bacteria on the surface of the skin, which may otherwise infect and aggravate dry skin conditions such as eczema. The lotion can be used in the shower as a soap or normal shower gel substitute when washing, or applied directly to dry areas of skin as a moisturiser. After washing, the skin should be patted rather than rubbed dry to avoid rubbing off the oil."

UPDATE: I've just found out that one of the ingredients, isopropyl myristate, rates very badly for comedogenicity :( Grrr bad dermatologist!