Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mkayx3

From Tretinoin .05 to Differin .1

After 14 weeks with little to no results on retin-a, I want to try the samples of Differin .1 my derm gave me a while back. Will I have to go through the IB again? Also, anyone whose used differin, how is it for spot treatment?

Theoretically, you shouldn't get an IB because tretinoin binds with all retinoid receptors while differin binds with selective ones. This means that the effect on your skin is reduced and not enhanced by differin, so an IB probably won't happen. Theoretically.

All retinoids are not supposed to be used as a spot treatment. Its effects on the skin are gradual, taking months to fully 'transform' the skin, so using it as a occasional spot treatment only wouldn't be useful. Also, applying more medication to the the spots during daily application wouldn't speed up its effects but may cause more skin irritation. I think this information can be found on the respective retinoid manufacturers' websites, usually under the FAQ section.

Theoretically, you shouldn't get an IB because tretinoin binds with all retinoid receptors while differin binds with selective ones. This means that the effect on your skin is reduced and not enhanced by differin, so an IB probably won't happen. Theoretically.

All retinoids are not supposed to be used as a spot treatment. Its effects on the skin are gradual, taking months to fully 'transform' the skin, so using it as a occasional spot treatment only wouldn't be useful. Also, applying more medication to the the spots during daily application wouldn't speed up its effects but may cause more skin irritation. I think this information can be found on the respective retinoid manufacturers' websites, usually under the FAQ section.

I know you're not suppose to spot treat. But I have been using retin-a for 3 and half months now and have had no results. On a lot of days my skin is worse than before I began retin-a. I took a break from retin-a for a week because my skin was extremly dry and my skin cleared up a lot and was better than it had been in months. I began using it again and in less than a week I had a bad breakout. I want to spot treat with differin until my breakout clear and then I will try differin for a month. If I don't see results I'm quitting all together. Has anyone actually switched from retin-a to diff., if so what were your results?

BTW; i never had a problem with inflammed acne until I started retin-a, I'm using it for whiteheads/blackheads.

I guess retin-a just isnt suitable for your skin. Inflammed acne really is worse than blackheads.

I'm not sure if spot treating with differin will work. If you read about the mechanism by which it works, it shouldn't, really. But I guess it wouldn't be of any harm.

By the way, differin works wonders for my blackheads. It was good for inflammed acne, but it sure cleared almost all my blackheads. This is one observation I can be sure of after 2 years of using differin.