Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sie

Insulin Response & Immune Response

The bottom line of my question to all the "no sugar" or "no fructose" proponents is:

Doesn't timing of eating, in addition to type of food make a difference? Can you use any kind of food (high glycemic "fast" or low glycemic "slow") to regulate insulin when appropriate and thus prevent the immune response that would otherwise result in insulin/sugar related acne?

Background:

I have been reading alot of the posts and also researching on the web on my own. I think that the sugar/fructose problem is one to be explored. However, there seems to be no blanket answer...everybody has different triggers, supposedly. The accounts given by other people, as well as my own experience, make me think that maybe it is not so much "triggers" as timing. (Obviously, some people may have near-allergy type triggers, but the rest of us...?)

I have always been Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde depending on when/what I ate last. (mainly because I seem to always be dieting and therefore skipping meals) So, although I don't think I am diabetic, if I have a slow insulin response, I can eat a low or high glycemic meal and maybe it won't be for hours, but eventually my insulin will reach high enough that I NEED to eat a high glycemic food to keep it in check. In other words, I can eat "slow" foods but then my insulin pumps slow and steady and forgets to throw on the brakes, so when I feel jittery I have to eat a "fast" food to offset it.

I wouldn't want to eat something like wedding cake on an empty stomach because it would wreak havoc...but if I ate a big meal without any sugar (but a big meal nonetheless) and a couple of hours later I find myself jittery because the insulin is finally catching up...shouldn't I cram in a banana or some crackers to offset?

Furthermore, some of the supplements (taurine?) that work for some people and not for others may just assist in regulating insulin (which is a good thing). If taking the supplements, the person might then need to alter the timing of meals and snacks in order to adjust for the more efficient metabolism (insulin). Failing to adjust meals/snacks could result in failure and finally, discontinuation of the supplement.

DOESN'T EVERYONE NEED TO LEARN HOW TO LISTEN TO THEIR OWN BODY WITH REGARD TO FOODS, TIMING, SUPPLEMENTS?

Would really appreciate others thoughts and research on this.

I've been spending a lot of time on diabetes websites lately - as i found something in common with people with diabetes. I have a daily limit on sugar, and a hourly limit (or per meal limit if you like). Taurine definitely increases my tolerance to glucose, but not fructose. So it definitely helps me to stay clear and still eat some things with sugar (otherwise i would pretty much have to be 0 sugar in anyform). I have my acne under control, not cured. I may never cure it, but i will probably always try.

I think your tlaking about the way that a diabetic would control their blood sugar levels - don't eat empty calories, watch your limit per meal, eat protein & fat and slow digesting carbs - that kind of thing? For me personally it doesn't make a difference, i do all of that, eat balanced foods, limit sugar, eat protein first etc. Without the Taurine i still get spots. Even if i take the taurine i can't eat lots of sugar, i still have to limit it - but if i get the balance right i stay 100% clear.

I am using Red Bull right now until I can find some Taurine and I think it is helping. But regardless, if I let myself get to that "shaky" or "jittery" point during the day and then eat...it doesn't seem to matter what I eat (tuna), I usually find I get a spot. I hypothesize that it is just waiting to happen. I have alot of clogged pores usually and I always get those really tender inflamed spots, so it is more or less an inflammation due to immune response. I can sometimes get rid of it immediately with green tea or chamomile cup of tea and teabag compress (inflammation goes away and it goes back to its ticking timebomb status again).

So, I think its the highs and lows. Taking the expressway from low to high messes me up. Maybe sugar/fructose can't be consumed at any level that doesn't totally drive you to an immediate high. Maybe a good experiment would be to take milligram sized doses of sugar or fructose every day to see how far you can go before a tipping point. Then you know the tipping point and try not to cross it when "cheating".

BTW, replacing coffee with green tea or herbals has helped greatly with regard to blood sugar/insulin and especially with inflammation. Green tea and chamomile are very powerful anti-inflammatories. Also, eating/snacking at least every couple of hours. The results have made my acne manageable... but takes alot of work. Overall my skin is still crap though (pores).

If thats what's happening then you've just described what happens to diabetics in that they have to maintain a level blood sugar all day, by carefully managing it at every meal and eating at the correct times. You might want to try a carb control diet like the one below

carb control

as it's not just all about sugar and can be about carb levels too. I'm going to try and use it to see if i can increase my sugar/carb intake carefully split up during the day as at the moment i have very small upper limits (and it's easy to slip over in any single meal). Hopefully really careful control can improve my tolerance (well it's what diabetics do to control their problem and it's a lot more serious - so if it works for them, i don't see why it shouldn't work for me!).

Green/herbal tea is good stuff - i swapped away from normal a long time ago. My skin isn't perfect but it's a lot better. I know exactly how you feel - it's like if we stick to a rigid routine, it's just about under control - but slip up and it's back with a bump. I'm not sure we'll ever get a "cure" but maybe we can improve our tolerances?

I wouldn't want to eat something like wedding cake on an empty stomach because it would wreak havoc...but if I ate a big meal without any sugar (but a big meal nonetheless) and a couple of hours later I find myself jittery because the insulin is finally catching up...shouldn't I cram in a banana or some crackers to offset?

If your meal doesn't contain any sugar you won't get an insulin response... so nothing would be "catching up". You find yourself jittery a few hours later because your blood sugar is dropping. Eating something high in sugar is the worst thing you can do. The best way to treat insulin resistance is a no-starch, very low carb, high fat diet.