Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ajr27

How much does alcohol affect acne??

Hi there, I currently have moderate acne and was just wondering how much alcohol affects the condition? I have been on treatments for acne for about 5 years, I'm 20 now, but it has always been under control on the tablets. In 2006 I started university and I was on Limecycline tablets then, and I went out drinking a few times a week and never noticed that it made anything worse at all. In fact during that year I would only get the occasional spot here and there. But over summer I was getting heartburn symptoms and the doctor thought it might be a side effect of the tablets so she took me off them altogether, and then my skin got bad over the following two months.

It got much worse than it has ever been before, I was then put on erythromicyn and they didnt do anything to be honest, and before Christmas I was put back onto limecyline as last year, and it has improved slowly since then. I stopped drinking when it was at its worst in October, and since then I've had maybe 4 or 5 pints, but I always feel bad having just one in case it undoes all the work of the tablets and messes my skin up. Any opinions? Thanks.

Im thinking about starting lymecycline again but i duno if it will help.

but yeh ever since New years eve my skin has been effed.

forehead breakout wich i neva get and cheek acne gota bit worse. maybe just drink in moderation or just drink beer and not spirits.

how many tablets u taking a day,and do u take them with food or empty stomach.

okay i have hardly drank alcohol in my life anyway,but when i drank some a couple of years ago i broke out terribly the next day,so it kind of put me off drinking alcohol ....and i have never touched any since.whether it was the cause of that breakout that day i dont really no,but i dont really wanna chance it...

im taking one limecycline tablet a day, and not with food, about 4/5 hours or so after eating dinner usually. im going out later and i think im going to have one pint which ill drink slowly over an hour or so, im hoping it does not make my skin worse, as it never did last year when my skin was ok so i dont see why it should now, what do you think?

I don't know if it's the alcohol or me skimping on the regimen after a night out, but every time I drink (not talking about a couple of beers) I break out. You'd think I would've learnt by now, at 24, but alas, I'm a weak man.

Beer breaks me out because of the wheat.

Other spirits with dashes break me out because of the soda sugar.

Most cider has sugar in it.

Sometimes I get lucky if I have eaten well and drink only cider and vodka.

In my experience, there doesnt seem to be much of a correlation with acne breakouts and alcohol. I can say that getting quite drunk probably does, but for the most part I only drink in moderation.

Someone mentioned that they avoid beer because of wheat, but I think that is misleading because not all beer is made with wheat. In fact most beer is not made with wheat. Most beer is made with barley, and it is quite common in commercial beers to use rice as an adjunct. If wheat is the reason to avoid beer, I think you can be safe with most beers, wheat beers are normally labeled "wheat beer, "wit", or some sort of "weizen".

I used to drink a beer or a glass of wine every night and I never had an acne problem. I all of a sudden developed severe acne last year, which was AFTER I stopped drinking alcohol, as in I hadn't touched a drop in a long time.

So, I don't think there is much of a connection. If you have a big night it probably aggravates your acne because it's very drying to the skin, so you'll need to drink heaps of water the next day to hydrate from the inside again. Hey, alcohol does relax you so if your acne is caused by stress it may even (in a very little way) help. But a good meditation is probably better!

Oh, and don't binge drink, it's bad for you ;)

Well from a holistic point of view drinking is bad for your skin. Beer and liqours contain a high amount of gluten which is not good for your skin. However i believe in moderation... I don't think if you drink here and there it can be all that bad for your skin, in fact, it may benefit your skin by helping you to deal with stress and taking your mind off your skin for a bit. Now if your going out clubbing and getting wasted, standing around in smoke filled rooms or on the dance floor sweating it out with a bunch of people you dont know... Then ya I think drinking would not be beneficial for your skin. I started drinking when I was 13, im 21 now, and my skin never really got worse from drinking.. However I haven't had a drop, not even at x-mas/new years, since october 21st and my skin has been looking better... but then again I did quit smoking weed, and cigs as well so I can't really say it was just quitting the booze...