Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Suhail

Why give up hope or be negative about scarring I don't understand?

It doesn't make sense to me that theres so much negativity here. We take for granit what we really do have. We could be in much worse conditions than we are now. Theres people that far far worse off than we are. Acne scarring is painful indeed but this is not a life threatening disorder nor is it uncurable. I honestly believe most scars can have serious revision up to being hardly noticable and the more shallow they are you can even achieve 100% this is very possible many peoople will vouch for that. I know not all scars respond the same and some may never change i'm aware of this. The point i'm trying to make here is we place way too much emphasis on the way we look mostly because of the society we live in. If we can truly learn to look past societal expectations then we can overcome acne scarring without any treatments because its truly a mental struggle. Sometimes its best to embrace they way we are tho we may never change we cannot stop living. Theres much more to life than the way you look. Eventually you age and the people you think have perfect skin and hair all lose it eventually. Its all merely a matter of time before how we look becomes irrelevant in our daily lives. Before you know it, yeah believe it, you'll be 50-60 and not care anymore just like everyone else at your age. Meh I just think most of this negativity is just within us, and we all need to learn and practice overcoming this negativity because it hurts people around us, and ourselves badly.

I tell myself that all the time. But the truth is, it seriously sucks. Just face it, no one wants scars that makes the face looks like the surface of a moon. And it does affects ones ability to get a partner.

and your logic is flawed. You said eventually we aged, so why bother about looks. How bout this, eventually we die, so why dont we jump off the building now? The meaning of life, is to enjoy experiences, to build relationships and to find your goal. But scarring does hinder it to an extent.

Also, you said we're better off then people who have life-threatening diseases. Well, actually I rather have that and be off dead then now I have to deal with depression for the rest of my life. It sucks more badly, a quick death is better then a slow painful one.

I tell myself that all the time. But the truth is, it seriously sucks. Just face it, no one ones scars that makes the face looks like the surface of a moon. And it does affects ones ability to get a partner.

I tell myself that all the time. But the truth is, it seriously sucks. Just face it, no one ones scars that makes the face looks like the surface of a moon. And it does affects ones ability to get a partner.

I've experienced self hand it does affect whether you get a partner or not but I decided to do something about my scarring and self-treated myself and i'm in my final stages of almost 100% revision tho my scarring is VERY shallow its located in the worst possible spots so they make me look real bad but they're almost gone now I can't sympathize enough for those with severe scarring because I don't have it but I did have bad shallow scarring and lightning really screwed me when it came to girls but emotionally I let my scars ripple me and they messed my life up now i'm picking up the pieces and gradually getting myself back as my scars disappear the emotional damage is permanent. I know if I had a better outlook in the past i'd be better now but I can't change the past. I just thought i'd try to help as much people as I can. If I knew what I knew now I would have never cared.

Yes society does place far to much emphasis on looks and that is why people are negative about their scarring. Society tends to look down on people with facial scars and this affects people in all aspects of their lives from work to dating. Yes there are worse conditions but people tend to have compassion for those with life threatening diseases compared with distain for acne scars.

In an ideal world i'd agree with you but because other peoples reations to scars affect the life of the sufferer in a negative way its not so hard to see why people with acne scars can give up hope.

A long time ago...acne scars were fairly common as well as something of a badge of honor. I think it was Thomas Jefferson who spoke about the "pockmarks of our heritage."

We now live in a very superficial world (generated by advertisements) where all pictures are airbrushed, and we think of this as the new normal, while the average complextion of like 85% of the population over 30 is thought of as defective, i.e., wrinkles, broken blood vessels, lines, splotches... It's the same with teeth. Before, everyone had yellow teeth, 75 years ago many people had crooked teeth and missing teeth, no one thought of it as ugly because it was so common. Now, if you don't have blindingly bright white teeth (here in America) you will be judged as less attractive. It's the same with coloring grey hair or dressing to keep up with changing fashions.

I think that we all need to start opening our eyes and taking a good look around us, as well as becoming more and more self-sufficent like our grandparents were.

I think the original poster is correct. These are my thoughts about acne scars:

1. for MOST people, the scars are mild or moderate by objective observation. very few people have severe scarring.

2. a large number of people are convinced that - and live their life like - they have severe and disfiguring scarring when they really don't.

3. society does place too much emphasis on the physical, which in turn makes us do the same. It really is way out of balance right now.

4. as you age, you really learn that there is more to a person than what they look like. And you DO start to care less. If you don't, you set yourself up for misery because EVERYONE'S looks fade.

5. scars do not affect your ability to date or have relationships, UNLESS YOU LET THEM. Your feelings about your scars are what comes through, and affects your relationships. I have scars (moderate scarring) and I have no trouble attracting men, because I am happy with myself and I know I am more valuable than what I look like. Yes, I am self conscious sometimes. But I refuse to let it control my life.

6. people who think they are looked down upon because of their scars are generally just convincing themselves that this is true. It isn't really. The majority of people don't look down on others because of physical imperfections.

5. scars do not affect your ability to date or have relationships, UNLESS YOU LET THEM. Your feelings about your scars are what comes through, and affects your relationships. I have scars (moderate scarring) and I have no trouble attracting men, because I am happy with myself and I know I am more valuable than what I look like. Yes, I am self conscious sometimes. But I refuse to let it control my life.

6. people who think they are looked down upon because of their scars are generally just convincing themselves that this is true. It isn't really. The majority of people don't look down on others because of physical imperfections.

I used to be very negative about my scars, now after just 3 tca crosses and the acv treatment, Ive finally got the skin i always wanted, I had 20 yrs of self doubts and stuff because of my skin, Ive got a lot of living to catch up on, Never give in to your scars, there is a way out.

I want to move to whatever fantasy world you live in.

1. for MOST people, the scars are mild or moderate by objective observation. very few people have severe scarring.

2. a large number of people are convinced that - and live their life like - they have severe and disfiguring scarring when they really don't.

3. society does place too much emphasis on the physical, which in turn makes us do the same. It really is way out of balance right now.

4. as you age, you really learn that there is more to a person than what they look like. And you DO start to care less. If you don't, you set yourself up for misery because EVERYONE'S looks fade.

I totally agree with number 5. I have seen really unattractive guys be able to date alot of women, because they were CONFIDENT, had a decent personality, and were able to pick themselves up from their bootstraps if a girl blew them off and move on to the next girl. You may get turned down more than you succeed but that's life. Feeling sorry for yourself is hurting your chances of meeting a girl/guy out there who could be a really good match. It's all about overcoming insecurites.

I tell myself that all the time. But the truth is, it seriously sucks. Just face it, no one wants scars that makes the face looks like the surface of a moon. And it does affects ones ability to get a partner.

and your logic is flawed. You said eventually we aged, so why bother about looks. How bout this, eventually we die, so why dont we jump off the building now? The meaning of life, is to enjoy experiences, to build relationships and to find your goal. But scarring does hinder it to an extent.

Also, you said we're better off then people who have life-threatening diseases. Well, actually I rather have that and be off dead then now I have to deal with depression for the rest of my life. It sucks more badly, a quick death is better then a slow painful one.

Ylem :comfort:

it's true its not only physical scarring but mental aslo,

One day you are ok then the other you have to live life with disfiguration ,

Not good for emotional well-being but we must soldier on!!

Take care

yeah it totally depends on how much it affects you. I mean for someone who is psychologically affected to the point where they cant leave their house and dont feel comfortable talking to people and are miserable all the time, cant hold down a job etc - then I would call that a serious illness