Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ts93

Acne Frustrations - I've tried so many things, any suggestions??

I should probably start by introducing myself and my story...

My acne is hereditary and I got it from my mom who had it as well. I began to get it at around age 10-11 when I was in 5th grade and it was not bad (it might have been that I was not very self-concious).. I started using 2% Benzoyl peroxide to try to clear it up, sacylic acid soaps, astringents, gels, etc, etc, etc. But none of these have worked; they can clear up a breakout after a while, but do squat to prevent future breakouts from happening, so I deemed them useless.

In 8th grade I was at wits end with my acne and we went to see the regular pediatrician who said it wasn't that bad, and put me on Retin A. I began to apply it each night and she said it would get worse, which it did. Then after about 3 months I went back, this time seeing a different doctor who said my face needed something else because it indeed was worse than the other doctor described it. So, she gave me a prescription of Benza-Clin and told me to put it on twice a day and continue using Retin A at night.

I began to use some moisturizer (Lubriderm Advanced Therapy Non-comodegenic for sensitive skin) and it burned, so I switched over to Lubriderm Adv. Ther. regular (not for sensitive skin) and it didn't sting. However, Benza Clin quite obviously made my skin flake a lot, and the lotion wasn't even helping curb it. So I walked around with my face flaking like no one's business.

I was desperate, and my mom ordered that stupid Proactive stuff from TV and yeah, it's a gimmick... It didn't work.. at all!! And the lotion; who in their right mind would put BP in the stuff thats suppose to MOISTURIZE your face, not dry it out.?!

A couple months later I returned and asked if there was something else we can try. She said my face was dry but there was nothing else we could do. I was angry, dissappointed, self concious and in tears, but She wouldn't refer me to a dermatologist!!

So went back to the doctor again (I refused to see my current one, who said there as "nothing else" we could do) about 2 months ago and I told them that I needed something else. They took me off of Benza Clin and prescribed Clindamycin (Cleocin t), still telling me to use the Retin A.

I've been using the clindamycin and it started working quite quickly (within several days)- - there has been hardly any flaking or dyness with normal non-com. lubriderm and it started clearing up, it was a godsend!! So I continue applying it in morning, and at night paired with retin A. I put it all over my face because I wanted to prevent future breakouts and it didnt dry it out too much , so it was all good. So I wanted to wear makeup and I put on some Almay (sp?) concealer and it has 2% sacilyic acid in it and isn't suppose to clog your pores, and I looked great, and I made sure all of my makeup was

Well during that time ^ I got my acting agent and my skin looked really awesome so they thought it was no problem, but then What happened was a couple days ago I just all of a sudden BROKE OUT, like literally, tiny pimples all over my face, they are red and all over!! Before I had hardly any, my skin looked amazingly clear and by using the clindaymcin x2 each day my existing ones were going away little by little... but then all of a sudden, I just BROKE OUT!!

This is very frustrating, I need to get my face super clear and find a process that won't make me break out, I CANNOT have breakouts like this or I will lose my agent, book no auditions or get to fulfill any of my dreams.

ACNE IS RUINING MY LIFE......

And my mother refuses to let me take oral antibiotics, so that is out of the question... (ugh)

Suggestions, please?!

-ts93

Acne can be be quite frustrating at times, no?

Have you ever contemplated trying to treat acne at it's root? By this, I mean treating it internally: diet change, liver detox, intestinal cleanses, candida cleanses, hormone balancing using supplements, etc.

If you're interested, there are some good people in the nutritional section of this forum that may be able to help you, I included. I've tried many the prescriptions/non prescription topicals, and even the big "bad" drugs (accutane) that many doctors have recommended that I take, this was all to no avail of course.

From my experiences, I am not sure if acne can be "cured" per se, yet it can definitely be controlled/suppressed quite efficiently...even at 99.99% if you're lucky.

Let me know what you think.

DTA

Hi DTA, Thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate it. xD

You suggested treating it at its root... I'm confused, I thought acne was not related to diet and the things you eat? Anyhow I cannot change my diet because I have chronic (also hereditary) migraines and I have to avoid certain foods. I already am forced to ban peanuts and several other things that have been marked as migraine triggers for me. We are not sure if my migraines are hormonal, but if they are, they could be connected to my acne, that assuming my acne is hormonal which I don't think it seems to be, but I'm no expert.

Also you're right, I can't really "cure" my acne. My mother still gets a pimple every now and then (every couple of months, nothing major at all) and she has developed rosacea (sp?) ; because of her history I am being told I will probably suffer this until my mid 30's or so (major ugh). I am hoping to get my skin Clear so I can follow my dream without people looking at my face and not wanting to cast me because face it, acne is not attractive.

99.9% would be stellar for me.... I just want something that will CLEAR my face and if I continue using it will keep it that way...

I am not good with cycles....i.e. using medicine, breaking out, treating it, and then breaking out again...

Thanks for your help!!

Dear ts93,

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any viable and efficient quick fixes to acne (atleast to my knowledge), if you're interested in controlling the acne outbreaks on a long term. From what I know, acne isn't a disease in itself, but instead it is merely a symptom for some other underlying cause (whether this be hormonal, or due to auto-intoxication, poor liver function, candida, etc.) Allergies and migraines may also be symptoms of such an underlying cause. What other physiological symptoms are you experiencing besides the the migraines, allergies... Would you have a coated tongue perchance? Digestive issues? Feel free to elaborate if you can.

DTA

Dear ts93,

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any viable and efficient quick fixes to acne (atleast to my knowledge), if you're interested in controlling the acne outbreaks on a long term. From what I know, acne isn't a disease in itself, but instead it is merely a symptom for some other underlying cause (whether this be hormonal, or due to auto-intoxication, poor liver function, candida, etc.) Allergies and migraines may also be symptoms of such an underlying cause. What other physiological symptoms are you experiencing besides the the migraines, allergies... Would you have a coated tongue perchance? Digestive issues? Feel free to elaborate if you can.

DTA

Hrmmm.... What does your diet consit of? Do you eat a lot of foods high in glucose? Do you drink lots of milk/consume lots of eggs? Eating healthier and ensuring you drink 10 glasses of water a day deffinatley help to improve your skin.

Do you ever do cleansing, internally and externally? If you aren't allowed to take some sort of oral meds I would invest some solid time to researching holistic methods to clear skin. They wont work 100% but they will help you. Also if it is a hormonal thing... Birth Control maybe?

Just remember you are what you eat and your skin will reflect how you are feeling. So try to keep your head up and live a healthy lifestyle.

I don't like eggs, so I hardly ever eat them. I also don't drink a lot of milk, maybe a glass 3x a week, but that's it, I'm not big on milk. I do like cheese, but if I eat it, again it's every other day and its mozarella or cheddar... About glucose, I don't know if I eat a lot of foods high in it. (Sugar, right?) I don't eat a lot of sugar- some but not excessive amounts.

I have never tried internal or external cleansing, I'm just a teenager. But I'd be willing to try it if it is not too difficult.

Do you have any links?

I've already asked about Birth Control after seeing those commercials on TV, again, my mother is not up to it... (stupid moms) and also She told me cleocin-t worked for her when she was my age, well, it's not working for me, and she seems to think that my acne will be the same as her's; which it quite obviously isn't... very frustrating..

Also, I just wanted to add I looked up hollistic treatment options and found this:

http://www.acnenomore.com/

It looks like it has a great success rate. I was thinking about doing this, but the book seems a little expensive considering it's just an e-book, and what if it doesn't work??

Any opinions on this??

Hey ts93

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. When it comes to acne, however, patience is a must-have. Nevertheless, I have to agree with you that your doctor is the biggest idiot for saying that there is nothing else he can do for you. That must be the worst thing to hear, sort of saying that you are doomed to live with acne forever.

Yet, there is always a way!

If diet doesn't work for you, nor do retinoids and antibiotics, what about oral contraceptives? Some of my female friends took it for their acne, and it cleared them up COMPLETELY. However, those are the only cases I know of; I'm not sure if it works that well for the general population. I suppose it should work well if your acne is hormonal.

Personally I have nothing against oral antibiotics. It shouldn't be of any harm if it's used for less than six months, and in my case, it is both very fast and effective in bringing down sudden flareups down to controllable levels. A pity it isn't good for long term use.

If the doctors you see are so incompetent, perhaps you should find a way to consult a dermatologist. Anyway, I wish you all the best.

i agree, anyone who says there is nothing we can do for you regarding acne is way, way wrong.....

Hey ts93

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. When it comes to acne, however, patience is a must-have. Nevertheless, I have to agree with you that your doctor is the biggest idiot for saying that there is nothing else he can do for you. That must be the worst thing to hear, sort of saying that you are doomed to live with acne forever.

Yet, there is always a way!

If diet doesn't work for you, nor do retinoids and antibiotics, what about oral contraceptives? Some of my female friends took it for their acne, and it cleared them up COMPLETELY. However, those are the only cases I know of; I'm not sure if it works that well for the general population. I suppose it should work well if your acne is hormonal.

Personally I have nothing against oral antibiotics. It shouldn't be of any harm if it's used for less than six months, and in my case, it is both very fast and effective in bringing down sudden flareups down to controllable levels. A pity it isn't good for long term use.

If the doctors you see are so incompetent, perhaps you should find a way to consult a dermatologist. Anyway, I wish you all the best.

Thanks so much everyone.

Would it help if I provided some pictures of my face?

My mom keeps telling me it's not that bad, but really, I think what matters is how it makes YOU feel, not how "bad" your's is compared to what other people have to go through. Right?

I am currently struggling with acne too

and your first post you said you went on Retin-A and benza clin (SAME)

i did proactiv too but that was a waste.

we probably have pretty similar skin because i reacted the same to the benza clin and retin A

and i used clydamyacin too and that helped a little but then i lost it in a luggage mishap..

good luck!

Bump, does anyone have any more advice or suggestions?

I read about the aspirin mask on here, and I tried it last night. I used 4 aspirin tablets in a little water and honey and it made my face really soft, but I didn't see much improvement on the trouble spots. How long does it generally take to start working?

Any other ideas?

you mentioned IBS, that to me indicates diet problems.

i have done 1 detox/liver cleanser, and i am a teenager, it worked out great for me. if you are going to do this, talk to me, not all work and some work better than others.

there is a nutrition forum on this site that has a wide array of info, but some quick suggestions I have are vegetables, 2L of water a day, lean meats, salmon, probiotics... theres a lot of stuff to read about

With Honey ..On my 2nd day of using it..I have rash/ tiny bumps all over my face from it. I completely stopped. It may not happen to you, but make sure you pay close attetnion to how your face reacts with it.

With Honey ..On my 2nd day of using it..I have rash/ tiny bumps all over my face from it. I completely stopped. It may not happen to you, but make sure you pay close attetnion to how your face reacts with it.