Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
frenchacne

3rd accutane cure?!

Hi!

I just turned 21 and started my 3rd cure of accutane.

What do you think about it? is it normal?

I read i lot of things about accutane and i must admit that i am scared.

Do someone ever needed more than 2 accutane treatment?

what can i do? im feeling like i will never kick acne out of my face... and it has already wasted a lot of things in my life.

(sorry for my poor english)

Greetings,

I apoligize for being being frank, but I really doupt accutane will ever "cure" acne...at best it will suppress it for a given time. I tried accutane once, for two months, and I had to discontinue it do to complications. Furthermore, about six months after treatment, the acne came back worse than before (accutane is hard on the liver BTW, but I assume you're aware of this). The only way I was able to suppress my cystic acne is by making big and I mean BIG lifestyle changes, as well as heavy sitamin/mineral/herbal supplementation and heavy detox. Let me know if you're interested.

Sincerely,

DTA.

Hi,

I have been on roaccutane/accutane on and off a number of times. I, like you, was worried about being on it more than twice but my dermatologist but me on a low dose and he seems to think it is ok. He said he has other patients who are on a continuos low dose because they have professions in which they believe they need clear skin so other people are doing it too! I do worry about the long term effects of being on accutane more than once or twice but then when my skin gets worse again it affects me so badly emotionally and mentally that I think my being happy and feeling good about myself outweigh the concerns. I asked my dermatologist why my acne hadn't gone away for good as some people's do on accutane and he said in his experience it is more common for women to need more than one course and for women to never be 'cured' because of their hormones.

I guess at the end of the day it is your choice whether you keep using accutane. Only you know how badly acne affects you and your life and if it is worth taking the accutane and your dermatologist prescribes it for you then I would do what makes you happy.

Have you spoken to your dermatologist about your worries? That can help because at least you then have some concrete answers from someone who is qualified to answer your questions.

Accutane is not going to help, if it didn't the 1st two times...I know from experience. You need to focus on what type regimen you are using, and what kind of garbage cleansers and junk topicals you are using first and foremost.

Hi!

I just turned 21 and started my 3rd cure of accutane.

What do you think about it? is it normal?

I read i lot of things about accutane and i must admit that i am scared.

Do someone ever needed more than 2 accutane treatment?

what can i do? im feeling like i will never kick acne out of my face... and it has already wasted a lot of things in my life.

(sorry for my poor english)

Accutane is not going to help, if it didn't the 1st two times...I know from experience. You need to focus on what type regimen you are using, and what kind of garbage cleansers and junk topicals you are using first and foremost.

Ive taken Accutane 5 different occasion...6 months each time. I believe I now have a weak liver due to the excessive amount of treatments. I just wish I had used a Retinoid cream after I was done with the treatment.

Id say use it as long as you are strictly monitoring it with blood tests. Drink a LOT of water. Take a retinoid cream to go with the medication and continue with the cream (Retin A) months after you are off of Accutane to maintain the clear skin and get rid of the scarring.

You are still quite young so hard one to call. I agree with some of the previous posters, the tane will probably work but it will probably only buy you some time unless your acne goes on it's own but you may be lucky. Many other treatments work better post accutane and you can possibly microdose later as someone else suggested to maintain clear skin. It is really up to you in the end, second course was more efective for me but i was a lot older than you at that stage.

Geez

I worry about how often people go on it.

I was on it for 4 months. At first, when I finished my course - my skin was immaculate. Now my skin is not so great however much better than it was before. I still break out but not as bad. But I think, as some have stated, accutane is not a cure, just something to prevent the acne coming back.. whether be for months or years.

Look to other parts of this forum some advise on natural products to use on your skin etc and make sure to eat and drink healthy.