Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jujubee

kerotosis pilaris

does anyone know anything about kerotosis pilaris? i have these bumps on the back of my arms, cheeks, inner thighs, and buttocks. it's definitely not acne, i've had these bumps there since i was really young. i asked my dermatologist about them but she was just like oh that's milia, it runs in the family. but after doing some of my own research i really dont think it's milia. there is no cure for kerotosis pilaris but i was wondering if anyone knew of any good treatments. i hate when people touch my arm and it's all bumpy, i want them to go away!! thanks!

I suffer from this too, not nice.....as if having acne isn't bad enough lol. :wall:

The only thing I've found that makes any difference is drinking more water (something I find difficult). I've also heard that Retin-A can help.

I found this advice from a doctor in another forum:

"I have had the best success in people like you whom the bumps bother to have them apply Am-Lactin (or its prescription twin, Lac-Haydrin) after a shower, followed by 20-30 seconds with a loofah or Buf Puf. Regular repeating of this for 1 or 2 months generally helps, though of course the procedure has to be done again over time, because the skin keeps producing these darned bumps."

Good luck, I hope you find a solution soon.

Do a search for KP and keratosis pilaris on these boards and you'll find many terrific suggestions. I do recommend the baby's hair brush method of exfoliation; it significantly improves my KP on my elbows and arms. I also use glycolic acid in a toner strength. Others find that mandelic acid works wonders. Any AHA will do decent work. As mentioned above, Lactic acid (the active in Lac Hydrin 5 and the prescription Lac Hydrin 12), will also help many. Lactic acid isn't as strong and thus not as irritating, so give it a try. :)

That's what it's called. I can never remember and was just thinking about it.

The solution is moisture and exfoliation. BHA or AHA helps. The am-lactin mentioned above is good.

Also, I think that ACV toners help. Because my skin had been completely smooth for a while and then I started getting this. Possibly on my back too. That could be blackheads though. I don't know since I can't see it. I just know that it's not smooth. And BHA makes it go away and that would work on both.

But then it dawned on me that I used to apply ACV as a toner all over after a shower, but I hadn't been for a while. I'm starting it up again, but results haven't been instant. My toner is 1/3 ACV diluted with 2/3s green tea. More or less. I just eyeball it.

A good BHA product will work, too. Try Paula's Choice Weightless Body Treatment. It's gotten rid of the KP on the backs of my arms, as well as helping prevent ingrown hairs on my legs.

hey cool i have those on the backs of my arms (totally not noticable except to me) and it has only recently been starting to bother me. I'm going to try to treat them i think as now that i know they're there its annoying!

i had no idea what they were tho, thank you for mentioning this! it saves me a lot of headaches wondering what the hell they were lol

A lotion called Glytone (17.5 free glycolic acid value) works fairly well for me. It has eliminated 70% of the bumps and gets rid of the marks, very slowly as well. Do a search and u should find it, i think i got it from skincarerx.com, it may seem expensive at like $30+ but one bottle lasts like six months if using on your arms.

A lotion called Glytone (17.5 free glycolic acid value) works fairly well for me. It has eliminated 70% of the bumps and gets rid of the marks, very slowly as well. Do a search and u should find it, i think i got it from skincarerx.com, it may seem expensive at like $30+ but one bottle lasts like six months if using on your arms.

Glycolics got red of my KP on my arms. Glytone is excellent. Another one is MD Forte Lotion II. That's what I used and mine dissapeared within a week and never came back. I also wash my body with Nizoral Shampoo twice a week and it think it keeps it from coming back. You don't need much either. Just put some on a wash cloth, foam and use light abrasive action. The glycolics will help slough off the dead skin and reveal the new skin underneath. Another good one is Paula's choice BHA Gels or Lotions.

Glycolics got red of my KP on my arms. Glytone is excellent. Another one is MD Forte Lotion II. That's what I used and mine dissapeared within a week and never came back. I also wash my body with Nizoral Shampoo twice a week and it think it keeps it from coming back. You don't need much either. Just put some on a wash cloth, foam and use light abrasive action. The glycolics will help slough off the dead skin and reveal the new skin underneath. Another good one is Paula's choice BHA Gels or Lotions.

my fraternal twin sister has it. luckily i do not. its more common in women than men.

it is genetic and supposedly no treatment for it. its cosmetic only. causes no cancer or skin problems other than small bumps.

im sure it bothers u. sorry bout that. u should know that no guy will probably care or even notice unless u show him and point it out.

dont waste ur money on creams or lasers. nothing will work. ive watched my sister try it all. best thing is to forget about it. concentrate on your other positive qualities. it really is a small thing (even though its widespread on ur skin).