Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acne_battle

Would this help for only a few days?

My dermatologist said if I want I can buy some over the counter hydrocortesone cream. I dont always agree with his recommendations though. In fact, frequently I dont. He names off a bunch of cleanser I can use, they are all ones Ive used before and didnt like beacuse of the comedogenic ingredients that didnt agree with my skin, and he thinks food doesnt lead to breakouts. I know acne isnt caused by food intolerances but it can trigger them and exaccerbate the acne which is formed by an extra production of sebum. Do you think it would be okay to just use on my cheeks, a thin layer? I would only use it for a few days. Has anyone ever done this before? Did it help with the itchiness and the redness? Its only 0.5 milligrams so I dont think it could harm my skin. I would just like to clarify.

People clicking on it simply may not know the answer to your question once they read it. The title of your thread gives not any clue as to what you are going to ask about, so people who have no experience with hydrocorisone cream are probably clicking on it, reading it, and don't have an answer for you.

I haven't used it myself, but I am pretty sure that you aren't supposed to use it for more than a couple of days. I can't speak to its effectiveness at healing breakouts though. If you do a quick board search, you might find some threads where people talk about using this - I'm pretty sure its come up here before.

Well the reason I didnt make my title about my topic is because that is what is on the inside when one reads a thread. Its suspenseful to do that.

I will take your advice and not use it for more than a couple of days.

Well the reason I didnt make my title about my topic is because that is what is on the inside when one reads a thread. Its suspenseful to do that.

Suspense can be good. :) But just remember that people may click on your thread not knowing what its about, and will have no idea on how to answer your suspensful question! I know I click on some threads, read the question, and have absolutely no clue as to the answer. Yes, I don't know everything - I know that's shocking... :D

I use it for my dermatitis or eczema or whatever this is. I have it on a small patch on my laugh lines and a small patch on my chin. Clears it right up. Elf

...It's not wise to use hydrocortisone. It can damage the skin and allow overgrowth of fungi, yeast, and bacteria. Hydrocortisone is also systemically absorbed via the cutaneous route...not good. All meds have some cutaneous absorption, but you do not want to mess up your own cortisol levels through using hydrocortisone topically. It is ok every once in a while (once a month on a hideous cyst), but NOT daily use even in tiny dabs. Please do look up Google images for overuse of hydrocortisone. See also steroid induced rosacea on these boards and on Google search.

...It's not wise to use hydrocortisone. It can damage the skin and allow overgrowth of fungi, yeast, and bacteria. Hydrocortisone is also systemically absorbed via the cutaneous route...not good. All meds have some cutaneous absorption, but you do not want to mess up your own cortisol levels through using hydrocortisone topically. It is ok every once in a while (once a month on a hideous cyst), but NOT daily use even in tiny dabs. Please do look up Google images for overuse of hydrocortisone. See also steroid induced rosacea on these boards and on Google search.

I tried hydrocortisone cream that I had at home once when I saw a pimple starting a few years ago. It reduced it, made me REALLY happy, and the next day it pulled a "just kidding, I'm back".

I talked to my derm and asked if it does anything, and he said it didn't at ALL since it is topical and moreso for rashes or other skin irritations, pimples aren't necessarily a skin surface condition.

I say it did crap.

I've used it for a couple days at a time before when I was desperate, like to sleep. It toned down the pain, itchy, and inflammation, but didn't really help them heal or anything. The effect is comparable to icing the acne, just you can't keep ice on as long.