Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LZA

Hmmm, is something missing?

So for about the last 6 months I've been experimenting with eliminating various foods and now I am thinking I may need to add something back in, but I am unsure as to what it may be. For the last 2 months or so have been eating exclusively meat, fish, and veggies (shooting for 2800-3500 cal/day). No fruit, sugar, grains, seeds, nuts, legumes, dairy, eggs, starchy vegs, or plant oils. I've probably seen the most improvement yet on this sort of diet. Problem is, for the past couple weeks every time I am approaching 80-90% clear I'll start breaking out all over again, seemingly for no apparent reason. Fortunately these breakouts are nowhere near as severe as they once were, but they are still damn irritating.

Oh, also I have been supplementing with cod liver oil and a probiotic for quite sometime, and for the past week I started supplementing with a good quality multivitamin hoping it may help.

Any ideas? Shall I just ride it out a bit longer? I was contemplating adding in brown rice and/or steel but oats, but I am almost too afraid to risk it given the gains I have made by cutting grains out.

yeah, problem is I am down to only a few things already and at this point eliminating something would just mean having to replace it with something else. I still need to eat something.

I know that acne is no fun to have but you have to live a little. Not eating foods you love is no way to help your acne in my opinion. Eating in moderation is perfectly appropriate.

yeah, problem is I am down to only a few things already and at this point eliminating something would just mean having to replace it with something else. I still need to eat something.

Have you tried making blended greens a daily part of your diet? If not, please see my green smoothie post (link in my signature). Greens are the most important food you can eat for healthy skin, and when you eat "blended" greens, you get 4 times the amount of nutrition. :)

Not eating foods you love is no way to help your acne in my opinion. Eating in moderation is perfectly appropriate.

My skin was at its worst when I was down to nothing but meat, vegetables, and fruit. Perhaps I was just eating too much fruit, or not eating enough calories, I don't know. But I added back non-gluten grains (oats and rice) and my skin actually got better. Although it doesn't really make sense to me since my skin initially cleared up a lot when I eliminated grains in the first place.

I don't know... just meat and vegetables may work for some people, but I absolutely don't think it's right for everyone.

Oh, if you start eating grains, make sure you soak them overnight. This makes them much easier to digest/healthier.

I think your experimenting is good (and I'd continue to do it), but I think more of a key is balance in not just diet, but exercise, sleep, mental/emotional well being. Are you doing these? How is your digestion and elimination? Enough water? Fiber? In my experience I've never seen food as the culprit in myself or anyone else (unless its an allergy or too much of one thing-usually sugar/carbohydrates). I've usually seen an imbalance inside the person that comes out through their skin. What's your imbalance?

Keep working on it, and I know this last thing is going to sound crazy :rolleyes: but I want you to do it. THINK- "I'M FINDING ANSWERS TO MY ACNE" and continue to do so. WHY? It worked for me, in fact it works with anything because it puts your mind and body on that track to finding those answers. GOOD LUCK AND DON'T GIVE UP! :dance:

I think your experimenting is good (and I'd continue to do it), but I think more of a key is balance in not just diet, but exercise, sleep, mental/emotional well being. Are you doing these? How is your digestion and elimination? Enough water? Fiber? In my experience I've never seen food as the culprit in myself or anyone else (unless its an allergy or too much of one thing-usually sugar/carbohydrates). I've usually seen an imbalance inside the person that comes out through their skin. What's your imbalance?

Keep working on it, and I know this last thing is going to sound crazy :rolleyes: but I want you to do it. THINK- "I'M FINDING ANSWERS TO MY ACNE" and continue to do so. WHY? It worked for me, in fact it works with anything because it puts your mind and body on that track to finding those answers. GOOD LUCK AND DON'T GIVE UP! :dance:

Out of curiosity do you ever use any spices/herbs or flavoring items in what you make to eat? I've found that especially ginger (fresh is better), and garlic have a particularily beneficial effect for me; though not for my breath :shifty: .

One mistake I made initially was that it's especially important to enjoy what you eat; if you're miserable eating crappy tasting food, you'll be more stressed out, less happy, and much more prone to cheating. But if you can make meals that are both healthy and taste great, then you're good to go :P.

Your tastes may vary but spices/flavorings I particularily enjoy and use regularily are:

Garlic (chopped cloves, or powder)

Ground Cumin

Cayenne Pepper (in small amounts; extremely spicy)

Curry Powder

Ground Coriander Seed

Ginger (adds somewhat of a citrus flavor, somewhat spicy as well; I add this in soups/stews)

Rosemary

Thyme

Basil

Olive Oil (I find it adds nice flavor to steamed vegetables)

Coconut Oil (awesome in stir-frys)

Dill + Lemon juice (great for salmon)

Out of curiosity do you ever use any spices/herbs or flavoring items in what you make to eat? I've found that especially ginger (fresh is better), and garlic have a particularily beneficial effect for me; though not for my breath :shifty: .

One mistake I made initially was that it's especially important to enjoy what you eat; if you're miserable eating crappy tasting food, you'll be more stressed out, less happy, and much more prone to cheating. But if you can make meals that are both healthy and taste great, then you're good to go :P.

Your tastes may vary but spices/flavorings I particularily enjoy and use regularily are:

Ground Cumin

Curry Powder

Ground Coriander Seed

Ginger (adds somewhat of a citrus flavor, somewhat spicy as well; I add this in soups/stews)

Rosemary

Thyme

Basil

Ground Cumin

Curry Powder

Ground Coriander Seed

Rosemary

Thyme

Basil

I STRONGLY AGREE WITH ADDING HERBS/SPICES BEFORE STARTING TO ADD BACK CERTAIN FOODS. You've come this far by eliminating. It is entirely possible that there IS something missing and it would most likely be an herb. Do some research and you will find that herbs are AMAZING. Garlic is good for just about everything (possibly even cancer). Same goes for turmeric. Alot of research is going into oregano too. A mint tea or anise tea can help get rid of garlic or curry breath and are also good for you. Herbal teas are very beneficial. Green tea and chamomile are very powerful anti-inflammatories. Licorice helps to improve cortisol utilization. Cinnamon regulates blood sugar. Do some research online to see what you want to experiment with first and then add it to your diet and see the results. Add something new every week. I recommend starting with garlic-- a whole clove per day. It is amazing...but don't forget the mint tea or anise for breath ;) If you decide to do this, please keep us posted of any clear benefits that you see. Having eliminated so much, you are in a unique position to discover benefits without the interaction of bad stuff (like junk food)! Good luck!

DOCTORS AND DRUG COMPANIES AREN'T GOING TO MAKE ANY MONEY REFERRING YOU TO A PRODUCT YOU CAN BUY IN A GROCERY STORE. THEY'LL WRITE YOU WHAT MAKES THEM MONEY AND USUALLY ONLY TREATS A SYMPTOM NOT THE CAUSE. I WASTED A TON OF MONEY MYSELF ON DOCTORS :naughty::evil: , I DON'T DO IT ANYMORE.

So many suggestsions...here's mine.

1. Make vegetables your main course: 1. kale 2. mustard greens 3. collard greens 4. spinach

Ideally, 70 percent of your meal should come from vegetables, because SO many protective compounds exist in these vegetables. A good way to take them in is Fairy's smoothies, which taste awesome. It's like taking the perfect supplement.

2. Remember Health=Nutrition/Calories. Thus, you must take in lots of vegetables for GOOD nutrition, less grains and refined foods. BUt most importantly, reduce the calories. You might be taxing your digestive system with a 3000 calorie diet.

3. Even if you make vegetables your main course in variety, continue eating that meat. I still believe meat helps the complexion, I know idea why.