Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have moderate acne and was finally fed up enough to take a trip to the dermatologist. My derm gave Duac for night and Differin in the morning.

Its been about 5 days of applying the medications. Surprisingly I have not experienced any dry, red, or itchy skin which I am /very/ thankful for.

However...

after reading a bunch of reviews of Differin I am tempted to get rid of it D:

All this talk of it making your skin look awful for months.

Its scary =X

even though I have read reviews which say differin does help in the long run.

still scary D:

So far I have broken out a little more than usual.

I just don't know if I can take my skin getting any worse.

Questions:

1. Is differin worth it?

2. How long does this breakout period usually last?

3. How bad is the breakout?

4. Anything I should know about duac?

I have moderate acne and was finally fed up enough to take a trip to the dermatologist. My derm gave Duac for night and Differin in the morning.

Its been about 5 days of applying the medications. Surprisingly I have not experienced any dry, red, or itchy skin which I am /very/ thankful for.

However...

after reading a bunch of reviews of Differin I am tempted to get rid of it D:

All this talk of it making your skin look awful for months.

Its scary =X

even though I have read reviews which say differin does help in the long run.

still scary D:

So far I have broken out a little more than usual.

I just don't know if I can take my skin getting any worse.

Questions:

1. Is differin worth it?

2. How long does this breakout period usually last?

3. How bad is the breakout?

4. Anything I should know about duac?

i dont know about duac but i used differin i dont know if this was ur frist visit to the derm coz usually the derms prescrib differin to first comers and as for how it was for me well hell it made my skin worse and i didnt experience red skin either a little dry at times but only in the begining but it just didnt work for me i gave it 5 months but nothing infact i couldve gotten the same results from clean and clear products but since i got lots of sample size tubes from him for free but i wish u luck and its totally up to u now after using over the counter online etc etc prodcuts i had to visit the derm once again and lets see what helps.

1. Is differin worth it?

For the people for whom it works, yes. For the people for whom it did no good, no. Will it work for you? You can only know by trying it, and going from there. You're so right in saying it's an 'in the long run' topical. All the retinoids are. Differin tends to be the first prescribed because it is a synthetic retinoid and gentler than other retinoids like retin a and tazorac. That said, some people don't respond well to it but do great with retin a or taz.

2. How long is the breakout period?

Depends on the person. Weeks 2 to 4 seem to be when the initial breakout really kicks in, and it can often take up to 12 weeks to really see fantastic clearing. (You've visited the differin website and got all the product info?) This is all worth it if differin is going to be good for your skin. I love looking at my skin in the sunlight. So smooth, soft, and glowing! Now. My IB lasted 3 months. It was horrible but I kept at it and have been rewarded.

3. How bad is this breakout?

For some people it's just a few more zits and clogged pores. For some it is as if their skin is in complete revolt against everything. I can't lie to you. It could be very, very bad and on a scale you have never before experienced. But it could also be just a few more blemishes than usual. You won't know until you try because everybody is different.

4. Anything you should know about Duac?

It can be drying, but it works well for many people. As a 5% benzoyl peroxide and topical antibiotic mix, it will help lessen the impact of an initial breakout. Some people report it stops working for them after a time, but others haven't had that problem. I've read one poster who said that he had used it long term, occasionally switching it with straight bp to reduce the possibility of resistance to the clindamycin topical antibiotic.

Bottom line: nothing ventured, nothing gained. You've used over the counter stuff and it didn't work for you. Now you've got the chance to use medicines that could really help you. I say go for it, but it's your skin and your decision.

If you're really, really worried about the IB, you could ease into the differin as I've read of posters on here doing. Instead of applying it every day, you could at first apply it one night in three for a couple of weeks, then one night in two for a couple of weeks or longer, and then every night. It will take longer to ultimately clear you, but an IB would be lessened.

Whatever you decide, best of luck!

Guest luckylotte

I've been on differin for nearly 3 weeks. I think its really helping with my forehead and cheek areas..but my chin is getting quite a few bad breakouts....but I'm not sure if it might be differin, I think it could be my medication that I've also been prescribed doing that. But over all so far differin hasn't caused my skin to break out bad, get irratated or make my skin much worse. Its kind of got better, so hopefully with long term use it will help to clear me up. It can get worse but then get better as its just doing its job. Everyone is different though and it has different effects on peoples skin, so don't be put of by what other people say. Its a good sign I think that you've been using it for 5 days and had no irritation with it, I think if it keeps like that stick with it and you may see your skin improving in time. Good luck!

Firstly Duac is good stuff! It helped me a lot, although I did need to take a break a few months in as it was getting less effective (built a resistance to the antibiotic), so it's a good idea to bear this in mind.

I haven't used Differin but I swear by Retin-A, it's very effective and I only had a mild break-out and little irritation.

Everyone's different, but I would say stick with it for now, it could be well worth it....nothing ventured nothing gained. Follow your instincts, you know your own skin best. Good luck :)

Thanks so much for all the advice!

it is veryyyy appreciated.

Sadly the duac has started drying out my skin x.o

ohwell.

hopefully my skin will get used to it soon.

Lets say I end up hating differin,

do you think duac would be effective alone?

Give the Differin a chance. You will often only find negative reviews because people that are happy with it do not get on boards to gripe about it. Differin is the #1 prescribed retinoid in the USA. Therefore, a lot of people must be happy with it. It all depends on your skin. I, personally, love Differin.