Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
azcardskill

Fruit/Fruit Juice Question

I've been hearing people say that fruits are unhealthy on this board. How is that true? How would drinking apple juice or eating raspberries be bad for you?

It's the difference between whole fruit and fruit juice mostly, though some fruits are very high in sugars and should be avoided for that reason. Raspberries actually have very low sugar and aren't that bad I think. But mostly it's just for the purpose of avoiding a lot of sugar in the diet. Mostly the emphasis is on avoiding fruit juices because by the time they're processed there's very little nutrition left, and is for the most part, just sugar water. No one needs sugar water.

I love frozen fruits and vegetables, they're way more convenient!

I don't know about bananas. Some say they break them out like an allergy, but sugar-wise, there's some debate about which fruits have acceptable sugar levels and which don't. It seems many different sites give many different answers on which fruits have more sugars and fructose in them, and which have less. We really need to find a good reliable source for that information.

Most fruits are low on the glycemic index and don't cause sugar spikes and insulin spike but they provide vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals.

It's not necessary to give up higher glycemic index fruits. It's as simple as eating more of the lower sugar varieties and eating less of the high sugar varieties.

It's impossible to have a definite answer on sugar content of fruits because it varies according to place, country, variety, method of growth, and degree of ripeness.

No one has ever heard about people becoming obese for eating too many pears or developing apple cravings or having high glycemia for eating too many tangerines. Fruits a low calories, nutrients and water rich. They can only do good as studies prove. Fructose in fruits is irrelevant. Its practically impossible to overconsume fructose by eating fruits as the amount needed for that would require one to eat nothing but fruits and not even vegetables. Several compounds of fruits allows a better fructose metabolism including the fact that fructose is bound to glucose in fruits and one helps the metabolism of the other.

Let me quote the Mayo Clinic:

The intake of naturally occurring fructose from an unprocessed, whole food diet is low and unlikely to contribute to any negative metabolic consequences.

People with an history of blood sugar issues like hypoglycemia or diabetes may want to limit or avoid very sugar dense fruits like bananas, raisins, persimmons, dates, cantaloupe and watermelon.

I get cravings for more when I eat fruit and have a really hard time stopping. They don't satisfy my hunger at all. I find them very addictive. So this is obviously very possible Danny.

But generally I think if your not obese or diabetic a moderate amount of fruit is fine for most people.

I've been hearing people say that fruits are unhealthy on this board. How is that true? How would drinking apple juice or eating raspberries be bad for you?