Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutya

Have tried 7 BCPs - need advice

I am a 31yo female with moderate acne that I believe has a large hormonal component - much of it is around my jawline and neck, and it is worse the week before my period. I have been on two courses of accutane over the last 5 years which helped for close to a year each time. I also have suspected endometriosis but the doctor said there is no point in doing surgery to confirm since it is not bad enough to significantly impact my life and I have no plans to have children. But my periods are at times very heavy and my cramps are so bad during the first day or two of it that I have to take codeine.

I have tried many bcps over the past 10 years in order to help both the acne and also the endometriosis. Unfortunately, I have had bad side effects from every single one. Ranging from severe daily headaches to severe breast pain (for most of the month) to significantly heavier and more painful periods, even though bcps are *supposed* to do the opposite. And I stayed on each one for at least 3 months. These are the ones that I have tried:

Mircette

Ortho Evra Patch

Ortho Tricyclen

Levlen

TriLevlen

Zovia 1/35

Diane-35 (ordered online and the best one of the bunch so far)

My question is, does anyone have any advice? Has anyone been through something similar and ended up finding one that DID work? Thanks!

I am a 31yo female with moderate acne that I believe has a large hormonal component - much of it is around my jawline and neck, and it is worse the week before my period.

I actually can't think of any citrus that I eat/drink on a regular basis. Maybe some other unknown food allergy, I guess...

I do have an initial appt with an endocrinologist on Thursday and hope to get all my hormone levels checked then to rule out any kind of imbalance.

I actually can't think of any citrus that I eat/drink on a regular basis. Maybe some other unknown food allergy, I guess...

I do have an initial appt with an endocrinologist on Thursday and hope to get all my hormone levels checked then to rule out any kind of imbalance.

I am a 31yo female with moderate acne that I believe has a large hormonal component - much of it is around my jawline and neck, and it is worse the week before my period. I have been on two courses of accutane over the last 5 years which helped for close to a year each time. I also have suspected endometriosis but the doctor said there is no point in doing surgery to confirm since it is not bad enough to significantly impact my life and I have no plans to have children. But my periods are at times very heavy and my cramps are so bad during the first day or two of it that I have to take codeine.

I have tried many bcps over the past 10 years in order to help both the acne and also the endometriosis. Unfortunately, I have had bad side effects from every single one. Ranging from severe daily headaches to severe breast pain (for most of the month) to significantly heavier and more painful periods, even though bcps are *supposed* to do the opposite. And I stayed on each one for at least 3 months. These are the ones that I have tried:

Mircette

Ortho Evra Patch

Ortho Tricyclen

Levlen

TriLevlen

Zovia 1/35

My question is, does anyone have any advice? Has anyone been through something similar and ended up finding one that DID work? Thanks!

So in the answer to your question....the low carb diet was the ONLY thing that worked for me.. another thing low carb now makes my cycle REGULAR!!! (YAY! :dance: )and before it was Irregular..

Keep us posted on how ye get on! x

Thanks. I actually have that bcp info page already saved as a favorite, tho it was an older version (didn't have Yaz). I'm going to wait to get the blood tests done before deciding anything. Will let you know. Thanks again.

Mircette

Ortho Evra Patch

Ortho Tricyclen

Levlen

TriLevlen

Zovia 1/35

Was on Yasmin meself for just over 7 months or so...

Caused more problems that worth to be honest..leg cramps/hair fell out etc took ages/around half a year or more for my cycle to return....because Im thin and all tests came back as "normal" they wouldnt diagnose me with PCOS. Despite having all symptoms!!!

I decided to quit the medication and stick to a low carb diet and just evening primrose supplements. Acne is gone took around 2months or less to clear (mind you was 6 months on Yasmin and no difference..a VERY VERY slight improvement if any)

Proved to me that my acne was caused by the amount of carbohydrates in my diet. Just goes to show sometimes doctors dont have all the answers. Would love to go back again and get more bloodwork done to see if anythings changed...but have basically lost all faith in the to be honest.

So in the answer to your question....the low carb diet was the ONLY thing that worked for me.. another thing low carb now makes my cycle REGULAR!!! (YAY! :dance: )and before it was Irregular..

Keep us posted on how ye get on! x

Let's look at the progestins in the pills you have tried and whether or not they are monophasic or triphasic, and how much estrogen is in each

Mircette - desogestrel (monophasic) - 20 mcgm estrogen

Ortho Evra Patch - norelgestromin (monophasic) - 20 mcgm estrogen

Ortho Tricyclen - norgestimate (triphasic) - 35 mcgm estrogen

Levlen - levonorgestrel (monophasic) - 30 mcgm estrogen

TriLevlen - levonorgestrel (phasic) - 30, 40, 30 mcgm estrogen

Zovia 1/35 - ethynodiol diacetate (monophasic) - 35 mcgm estrogen

Diane-35 - Cyproterone acetate (I don't know much else about this one)

Ok so...you have tried estrogen levels in all ranges. And you have tried both monophasic and triphasic pills. Were there any that you did better on than others? Sometimes the side effects are due to the estrogen levels, sometimes to the progestin in the pill, sometimes to it being triphasic vs. monophasic, sometimes just the particular estrogen level in combination with the particular progestin. It can be really frustrating, I know. I did a lot of trial and error before I finally found a good pill for me. I really only do well with a monophasic pill containing norgestrel. Oh and lets not forget I have to take the brand name, not the generic. The generic gives me side effects! The brand version doesn't. You have to be careful with that too.

So what I would suggest is...try to figure out if you did better on any pills than others. That is a starting point. Then look at the estrogen level and see if it was low or high. Then look at whether or not it was monophasic or triphasic. This will help you maybe go in the right direction.

You have not tried all types of progestins. There are still others to try. Here are some possibilities (fyi some of them look the same - i.e. same progestins and estrogen amounts, but the dosages are different):

Yaz or Yasmin (drospirenone) - Yaz 20 mcgm estrogen, Yasmin 30 mcgm estrogen, monophasic

Loestrin FE (norethindrone acetate) - 20 mcgm of estrogen, monophasic

Estrostep FE (norethindrone acetate) - 20, 30, 35 mcgm estrogen, phasic

Lo/Ovral (norgestrel) - 30 mcgm estrogen, monophasic

Ovcon-35 (norethindrone) - 35 mcgm estrogen, monophasic

Brevicon (norethindrone) - 35 mcgm estrogen, monophasic

Ortho-Novum 1/35 (norethindrone) - 35 mcgm estrogen, monophasic

Ortho-cyclen (this is the monophasic version of OTC, it may work better for you even though the progestin is the same)

Ortho-Novum 7/7/7 (norethindrone) - 35 mcgm estrogen, triphasic

Tri-Norinyl - (norethindrone) - 35 mcgm estrogen, triphasic

There are a couple of 50 mcgm estrogen pills but those are a bit more dangerous to take. Most people stay in the 35 mcgm estrogen level or below. But those are always options. There are three (Ortho-Novum, Ovral, Demulen 1/50). Hope this helps some!

Thank you very much! It is very frustrating especially because you have to give it a minimum of 3 months to really find out if it's going to work. Honestly, some of them were so many years ago (8+) that I don't really remember why they didn't work or how bad they were. The only ones that were recent enough that I specifically remember were the Mircette and it gave me such bad headaches (severe 24/7) that I had to stop after about 2 weeks; and the Diane-35 which was actually the best out of the ones that I can remember, inasmuch as it didn't have any horrid side effects. I tried to take it as a continuous pill without breaks but I got discouraged that I was still getting a full period through my 4th pack. So, when I finished the fourth pack, I just gave up and didn't reorder. I was a little leery anyway since I was doing it without a prescription and all.

I have an appt tomorrow with an endocrinologist and I'm hoping he will order all kinds of blood work - for all the hormones possible. After I find out if there is anything out of whack, I will reconsider what to do about pills. I'm do for my annual ob/gyn appt to, so I'll probably make that appt and talk over the results with her. At this point, I think I'm leaning toward trying Yaz, since it's a different progestin and still a lower estrogen. But we'll see. Again, thank you so much for your research!