Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MagentaStraberry

Just picked up my Retin-A prescriptions

Tetracycline capsules 500 mg-1 or 2 capsules a day

Clindamycin Phosphate gel 1% 60GM-apply in the morning

Tretinoin .05% 45 GM-apply at night

What side effects should I expect? Any advice, warnings, things like that. Finally I'll get this going.

Should I apply it to my skin every other day since I am just starting to use it? And if there's days I don't use it, is it ok to use an over the counter cream instead? What time of the day is it best to take the capsule? bottle doesn't say

For the oral antibiotics, it's usually a good idea to take them 12 hours a part. When I was on doxycycline, I'd take one tablet in the morning (of course, not on an empty stomach) and one 12 hours later before going to bed. You should try to avoid taking those on an empty stomach; what I mean by that is if you're taking it in the morning (or it's also good advice for whenever), always have a full glass of water before taking it. Otherwise, you may end up with stomaches and diarrhea.

The clindamycin is to control active lesions that are going to form once you start getting into about 2 weeks of the tretinoin. As you probably already know, the tretinoin is going to make you worse before making you better. During the "uphill" phase of the treatment, you may expect increased lesion breakouts, dryness, redness, peeling.

Unless you already have irritated skin, it should be okay to start applying the tretinoin every day. If you begin to experience a lot of redness or irritation, then start changing to applying it every other day (and lengthening it from there until your skin can tolerate it).

Good luck, and really stay patient!