Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello, this isn't specifically a skin question but it might help skin. My family has a diabetic history so I'm looking into eating better to save me grief in the future. (lower blood sugar levels, free testosterone, dht is the goal..good for overall health).

Specifically, what sort of diet should a person follow to reduce dht? Legitimate sources would help. for some reason, google doesn't cough up much no matter what I search. Just from background knowledge, I'm ASSUMING the following are good for reducing dht?

(by the way, no supplements-just diet)

1. lower calories

2. lower fat, but enough EFA's

3. low glycemic

4. low red meat

5. green tea

6. high protein in relation to carbohydrates

Am i correct in assuming these would help? Also, does anyone have a link to that one thread from earlier this year that was the "common link" between a lot of past treatments-in reducing insulin resistance and stuff via acv, etc etc. Thanks!

edit: Also, what exactly is the whole connection between fats, carbs, insulin, blood glucose, dht, alpha-5-reductase, and free testosterone? I know that high glycemic stuff causes receptors to become insulin resistant, which causes your body to make more insulin, but is it the high blood sugars, or the high insulin that causes more free testosterone? And how does diet affect alpha-5-reductase? Also, how do fatty acids/fats play a role in all of this?

It's the insulin that triggers hormone production, both IGF-1 which increases skin cell production, and androgens which increase sebum.

It was once thought that the activity of 5-alpha reductase was increased with people with acne but this was shown to be untrue. I did a lot of research trying to find the connection of the different things you mentioned, but there is a lot of contradictory information out there.

One thing I did find was that symptoms of androgen excess seem to mirror the symptoms of estrogen dominance, i.e. hirsutism, weight gain, acne, MPB, etc, so there is obviously some relationship going on here.

I would avoid all vegetable oils and foods high in phytoestrogens (flax & soy) as they seem to be endocrine disruptors and thyroid suppressors. Don't limit your intake of healthy saturated fats however.