Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GuitarHeroGirl

Will holistic methods help me?

Here’s my story:

I’m 21 years old and have had acne for about 7 years. Not a day goes by that I don’t think about it. I have just about tried everything under the sun and nothing works at all. I was seeing a dermatologist before when my acne wasn’t as bad but I think this is the worst it’s been. It’s gotten to the point where when I’m out with my family they’ll bring it up (offering miracle treatments that of course never work) when I go to restaurants I ask to me seated where there is no natural light. I’m completely lucky to have a wonderful boyfriend who I’ve been with for 4 years (he of course is 100% clear of acne, one of those lucky ones). I’m totally self conscious about it and sometimes I just cry and cry when I get out of the shower or wake up in the morning.

I’m seeing a holistic doctor right now who wants me to stop eating sugar, wheat, and dairy. He also took my blood four days ago to do a IGG/IGA food sensitivity test that cost me $300.00 and I don’t get the results until the end of this month. I really want to do something that isn’t going to cause me horrible side effects or give me anything that I’m going to have to live with for the rest of my life (except for clear skin! I’ll take that!)

Although there are millions of people that suffer from acne I feel completely alone like I’m the only one because EVERYONE in my family (including aunts, uncles, and cousins) are 100% clear of acne. All of my friends and boyfriend are clear of acne. I’m the only one. I want something that’s going to work already.

I’m sorry this is super long. I’ve also attached pictures so you can see how horrible my acne is. I really want to get better.

Please give me some advice! I’m going to post this is a couple different threads to see what different people tell me. Thank you all so much.

post-70111-1201982886_thumb.jpg

post-70111-1201982878_thumb.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q50/eliebellie/ACNE2.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q50/eliebellie/ACNE4.jpg

post-70111-1201982878_thumb.jpg

post-70111-1201982886_thumb.jpg

I totally agree that refined sugars need to be removed. You can see why I feel that way in the pinned thread "Fructose, Inflammation, and Taurine!". Also several members on this forum have cleared their acne entirely by removing wheat and dairy. Those allergy tests are notorious for being inconsistent and unreliable, so I'm not sure how much weight I'd put on those results, but I do believe that allergies play a role in acne, so by all means, if you notice something that causes you problems, don't eat it, regardless of what anyone else thinks! I strongly believe acne can be cured with diet. There are a few instances where there's something else going on, like a thyroid disorder, or PCOS that can't be fixed with a normal diet alone, they would need to be addressed specifically, but I feel most people don't fall into that category. But if diet doesn't work at all, definitely get your hormone levels, adrenals, and thyroid checked.

HI!

I´ve been where you are not a long time ago. Believe me, there is a cure. It sounds like a good idea to cut out sugar, wheat and dairy of your diet. But remember that you need to plan your diet well, and replace the energy that is taken away (mainly carbohydrates) with protein and fats, both animal fats and vegetable fats. (chicken soup, salmon, fatty meats etc. are good for you). what really has helped has been to eat more meat, and more fats, and always try to get both animal fats and vegetable fats. I also eat A LOT of vegetables, instead of rice or pasta I get loads of boiled, steamed, oven-baked or just fresh vegetables with my meat. The greasiness of the skin goes down, and the proteins help to repair the skin (i was doing an almost vegetarian diet, and my skin was horrible, I got a lot of scars since it wouldn´t repair itself). Also, remember to drink water, excercise (I know, it´s hard to go to the gym with the face messed up, but you get used to it, just smile and say hi if anyone is looking) and get at least 30 minutes f sunlight (an average, there are rainy days as well :)

Good luck, you´ll get better one day, until then, don´t let acne destroy your life!

I've found that people new to this forum hold a lot of ideas of what constitutes "healthy" that needs to be relearned. Mostly all the "fat is bad" crap left over from the 80's that still lingers, which includes thinking that skim milk is healthier than whole fat milk for instance, or that margarine is healthy, and that wheat and pasta is a health food, that milk is wholesome and nutritious and the only real source of calcium, that Soy is good for you, that everyone needs to avoid salt, that fruit juice is healthy, that red meat is bad for you...so many things, man...

Basically, be prepared to read about things that go completely counter to everything you thought you knew about health from the mainstream media.

I think a diet change would definityl help you:

Like the guys above say, cut out wheat, dairy and sugars for a bit. Eat chicken, fish, meat (not pork) and vegetables (not nightshdaes - not mushrooms, potatoes, peppers, tomatoes). Try it for a bit and seee what happens. Drinkw ater in between meals. Only drink water. Try supplementing your stomach with cayenne or HCl betaine.

Get exercise every day. Go for a run to get the heart beating and the blood flowing. You will feel better.

Good luck!

My acne was worse than yours and i am completley clear now! My diet is only fatty meat, veggies, and lots of water. If you stick with it I am sure you can clear up too. Just keep your head up, and remember it WILL get better. No idea ho i will get rid of these red marks and scars.

Yes I strongly believe diet changes will make a huge difference for you. It did for me. I also do DKR. No one says it going to be easy, in fact it will be quite difficult, but it pays off. It involves lots of planning in the begining, but will get easier.

I think the main advice your doctor had and all the above advice is great,

and I think you'll finally start getting some relief from a good diet change :D

Mine was bad enough for accutane at one point, it was just horrible. Now

people don't even believe me when I say I had bad acne, no traces. So,

hang in there, it really can work. :D