Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jacob

Modifying dan's regimen- thoughts?

Hi guys and gals,

I have been a long-time member here but haven't posted much in a long time and don't know much about the treatments.

Here's the lowdown:

I am 23 years old

I am male

I have mild acne spread mostly on my forehead and beardline(cheeks and chin).

I'd say I get about 1 new pimple a week and the rest are red bumps which slowly fade into obscurity- but this is still pretty annoying.

As for cleaning, until a couple days ago, I rarely washed my face, period.

I have decided to undertake some sort of regimen to take care of this situation.

This is my regimen for the first week:

Oxy Acne Wash(with 10% BP). I know, 10%= bad, but it's just a wash, right? I'm using it because it got 4 and a half stars(out of 5) on average from over 30 reviews that I read. How much harm can it do. I'm going to wash my face it with it every morning- wetting face with warm water, leaving the wash on for about 1 minute, then rinsing off with cold water to close the pores. I will follow this up with the Neutrogena non-comedogenic moisturizer for sensitive skin.

I will use the Neutrogena On the Spot 2.5% BP cream once per day- probably in the afternoon- 6-7 hours after the morning application. I will pre-wash my skin with Cetaphil and then apply the BP cream, and follow up with the Neutrogena non-comedogenic moisturizer for sensitive skin.

If my face tolerates this fine for a week, I will up the Oxy Acne Wash use to both morning and night, and keep the Neutrogena 2.5% Bp cream in the afternoon- once per day.

I'll also note that I won't be applying the BP cream all over my face. Just to active pimples and existing red bumps. I believe that the Oxy wash with the 10% BP will do a fine job keeping the rest of my face clear from new pimples and I'll use the Neutrogena BP cream to clear up existing ones. If my face clears all the old ones away, I might not to use the BP cream anymore.

What do you guys/gals think?

One more thing I noticed. I just did my first application of the Oxy wash this morning and it was fine. I just applied the BP cream 15 minutes ago and followed it with the moisturizer, and I noticed for 5 minutes afterward, my face felt kinda like it was burning and it looked red in the mirror. 5 minutes after the burning feeling started though, it subsided, and now it doesn't hurt at all. We are now at 30 minutes after application of the 2.5% bp cream and the redness has disappeared. I hope this is a good sign.

Oh- last question. I don't shave regularly. I just run a beard trimmer over my face twice a week to keep a permanent 5 o clock shadow/stubble look- will this affect the treatment at all?

Thanks.

Come on guys.

Please? Advice? lol.

Hey Jacob,

10% is a lot.. I have acne that is worse than yours and my face can't even tolerate it... but if your's can, I would say go for it. Only thing I would say is not to use it twice a day. I have the Oxy 10% BP wash and I use it on my back and chest when I shower and if I forget to use it, I break out. The last break out I had took a week to clear up and now I'm fine.

Hope this helps at least a little bit.

ts93 :angel:

Come on guys.

Please? Advice? lol.

Hey Jacob,

10% is a lot.. I have acne that is worse than yours and my face can't even tolerate it... but if your's can, I would say go for it. Only thing I would say is not to use it twice a day. I have the Oxy 10% BP wash and I use it on my back and chest when I shower and if I forget to use it, I break out. The last break out I had took a week to clear up and now I'm fine.

Hope this helps at least a little bit.

ts93 :angel:

Thanks ts93.

I have actually decided that I am going to stop using the Oxy. it is working but my skin is starting to flake and it never does after I use the 2.5%.

I am going to use the standard regimen on here- BP 2.5% gel twice a day, with cetaphil cleanser before and cetaphil moisturizer after. I do not expect my acne to get worse before it gets better, because I have no inflamed areas on my face right now. All I have are red spots which are slowly fading.

Hopefully my red spots will be totally gone in a month or so.

Come on guys.

Please? Advice? lol.

Hey. I also had acne problems on my cheek. I'll tell you what I did. I'm a girl but I'm sure this will work for you too.

Morning:

wash with a gentle cleanser (you can use your cleanser but i wouldn't suggest leaving it on, rub GENTLY! Wash immediately after)

Apply moisturizer (Nivea has a good moisturizer for men, with SPF 15- find at any drug store - my bf uses this)

if you are shaving in the morning try to shave in the shower when your hairs are softened by the steam and change blade every 3 uses. Cleanse skin first, shave, then apply moisturizer when out of shower (moisturizer is the key to protecting your skin)

Night:

wash again with same cleanser (GENTLY DON'T FORGET)

pat dry. After your skin is completely dry apply your BP. I use a pea sized amount for each cheek and half a pea size for my chin (using too much made my skin worse so i totally agree with you using it once a day if your skin isn't so oily)

Put on a moisturizer, without SPF - cuz you don't need SPF at night. This is optional if you want...but I really reccommend finding a good moisturizer. I use oil of olay ...but...lol.

SLEEP with he BP ON.

If your skin is getting dry, you will find that no amount of moisturizer helps. This is what i do. When I'm in the shower I take a paper towel (from my kitchen- bounty is strong so i use that), wet it completely, and gently wipe away the dry skin while i'm in the shower (the dry skin becomes soggy and its easy to wipe off). Use gentle circular motions. Do this after you have cleansed and shaved and right before you get out of the shower and before applying moisturizer.

I REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS. This totally worked for me. Best of luck to you!