Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I had five fraxel laser treatments for acne scars over a year ago.

It was not worth it. While it smoothed my skin about 5% tops, it created a major problem with post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH).

I have olive skin and have been battling the negative effects of this discoloration along with still getting breakouts.

Dan's regimen is very good, and probably is for most people. I have been on it for only two weeks and it has cleared my skin. However, I noticed that my dark patches were becoming more pronounced.

I have been doing a lot of research on the net about the negative effects of Fraxel and find almost no information on this topic. I also can't find much about BP and PIH. In fact, my dermatologist didn't think that it would contribute to more discoloration. However, I know what I see on my skin and I did come across this site and have included the URL here for you to view:

http://acne.about.com/od/adultsacne/a/skinofcolor.htm

Here is a quote gleaned from the article:

"It is important to note that certain acne treatment products can cause skin discolorations in persons of color. Any product that causes dryness or irritation puts the user at risk for hyperpigmentation, or darkening of the skin. Special care must be taken when using retinoids such as Retin-A or Differen gel, benzoyl peroxide, and other such topical treatments. If excessive dryness, burning, or irritation occurs, tell your doctor right away."

African-Americans, Hispanics, Mediterranean people and Asian people should be very careful.

I am not really sure how to proceed here. I think I will continue with Dan's regimen on the areas not affected by the PIH, and use a bleaching cream prescribed by my dermatologist on the dark areas.

I just wanted to let you know what I found out.

Thank you for sharing, this is very interesting visit my website SASAQQ
I've joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post.
Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!