Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Semaj

Do you want children?

First post. Yay!

Anyway, some background on me. Started getting acne at the age of 17, I’m now 22 (male). While the potency of my acne has remained fairly constant over the 5 year journey, my emotional state has declined year by year. It started off as something that was just a bit irritating/annoying nothing too bad, then I’d say after about 18 months it started to really bother me. All of a sudden it became a giant pain in the ass to deal with.. Now, frankly, I’ve just had enough. I guess that ‘surely it’ll be over soon’ hope fades after a while.

The only thing that really keeps me going is thought of having a family. But at the same time, the thought of passing on my defective genes to my children is not something that warms the cockles of my heart. Seeing them go through what I’ve been through would be difficult to bear, and I don’t think I could put something I love through that. Anyone feel similar, or am i thinking about this the wrong way.

I just don't want kids anyway, but that's always another factor. I used

to always look at my mom and be like what's your problem, help me out

here... I'd never wanna be looked at that way and be unable to help.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

no babies (or more correclty, matured uterine parasites, womb snot, gollums, or imps) for me!!!

seriously though, you do not need children to make your life complete. Having children should be a choice you make because you want them around, not becasue it's somthing you "should" do. if 'you DO decide to have a child andyou'rer worried about genes, adopt. lots of kids already made, need homes.

and if you're undecided, try babysitting, being on a plane with screaming children, or any restaraunt, movie theatre, or any public place with ill tempered brats. best birth control ever.

I want children!! I wouldn't wish acne on my worst enemy but your kids might not necessarily get acne just because you did. My brother and sisters don't have acne (lucky things!) and my dad did ..

You people just depressed me with all your responses.

Get a grip dont be so miserable - how can you not want to have children i dont think there is anything more special or important to bring someone into this world. I have been diagonsed with PCOS a ovarian syndrome and it will be difficult for me to fall pregnant.. my worst fear was not being able to fall. But i will be able too with some help :-) when i am ready of course.

They get your genes so what we know enough about acne to get them through it.. its no reason not to have children

I was in tears all last night cos of the way i look at the moment im a mess im 22 used to be so outgoing and now just lost it dont even have the confidence to go out at the moment, so dont think i have clear skin. i just started accutane.

You can always adopt. If you're afraid of possible giving serious acne to your kids, raise some one else's biological children :D . Of course, if your adopted children have the same issues with acne as you do, it might be something within your environment. But at least you know.

just wanted to add i wasnt being rude to you Semaj!! of course everyone thinks like that its hard not too.

but just everyones responses depressed me thats all x

just wanted to add i wasnt being rude to you Semaj!! of course everyone thinks like that its hard not too.

I wish you the best of luck Keira.

Keira,

A lot of people feel that way when they are young, but some opinions change with age.

Personally, I never wanted to have kids. Mostly because I was so afraid that I wouldn't be able to parent better than my mother - Mommy Dearest. I had my kids later in life and it was good. It gave me the opportunity to realise that I was *not* my mother and to have confidence in myself and my capabilities.

It's hard not to personalise remarks like that when you are struggling with your own issues, but they are not intended to hurt you.

One last remark - I'd rather people be honest about their desire to parent children than to be less than 100% committed to raising them to the best of their ability. No kid deserve less than all their parents can give them emotionally.

Keira,

A lot of people feel that way when they are young, but some opinions change with age.

Personally, I never wanted to have kids. Mostly because I was so afraid that I wouldn't be able to parent better than my mother - Mommy Dearest. I had my kids later in life and it was good. It gave me the opportunity to realise that I was *not* my mother and to have confidence in myself and my capabilities.

It's hard not to personalise remarks like that when you are struggling with your own issues, but they are not intended to hurt you.

One last remark - I'd rather people be honest about their desire to parent children than to be less than 100% committed to raising them to the best of their ability. No kid deserve less than all their parents can give them emotionally.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

no babies (or more correclty, matured uterine parasites, womb snot, gollums, or imps) for me!!!

seriously though, you do not need children to make your life complete. Having children should be a choice you make because you want them around, not becasue it's somthing you "should" do. if 'you DO decide to have a child andyou'rer worried about genes, adopt. lots of kids already made, need homes.

and if you're undecided, try babysitting, being on a plane with screaming children, or any restaraunt, movie theatre, or any public place with ill tempered brats. best birth control ever.