Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Murmur

Anyone (female OR male) try DIM supplementation for estrogen dominance?

Hi guys. I lurk around here a lot but I've only posted once or twice about my success using aspirin, honey, jojoba, and tea tree oils on my face. Those topicals have really helped my skin immensely in the past year but I'm still not totally clear.

Lately I've been eating super healthy, little to no gluten, lots of raw fruits and vegetables, vegetable juice, etc etc. Also been exercising and taking my fish oil every day.

Three days ago I started a new supplement called DIM (diindolylmethane) which I discovered randomly while scouring the web for info about antioxidants and natural detoxification. DIM is derived from cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, etc. Basically it's used to help draw all the "bad" estrogens out of our bodies, leaving only the "good" estrogen metabolites and freeing up testosterone. The article I was looking at was about estrogen dominance and how our environment is so full of "xenoestrogens" (fake/chemical/bad estrogens, hormone disruptors) in the form of pesticides, car exhaust, plastics, etc etc. Basically the idea is that our bodies are full of these chemicals and that they wreak havoc on our hormones, causing everything from stubborn weight gain to acne to endocrine and reproductive cancers.

The symptoms of estrogen dominance (for women at least) are painful periods, breast tenderness and swelling, mood swings, pms, ACNE, heavy bleeding, fatigue, cold hands and feet, etc... ALL OF WHICH i have been dealing with for like ten years now (I'm almost 25). I was really intrigued by what I read so I went out and got a bottle of EstroBalance by Enzymatic Therapy. I've taken it for three days now and I swear my skin is less oily.

Supposedly DIM is good for both men AND women. Basically it binds to the bad estrogens and causes us to excrete them in our urine.

I have heard so many dermatologists say "Oh, acne is hormonal," yet I've never ONCE heard anyone suggest a way to BALANCE the hormones. I think DIM might be an important piece of the puzzle.

I'll check back in once I've been taking the DIM for a few weeks, but I thought it was worth opening up the discussion now.

If you google "DIM estrogen dominance" or "DIM prostate" or "DIM acne" you'll get some interesting results.

Again, I'll keep you all posted on my progress with this.

BUMP!

okay, i really urge you all to look into DIM and estrogen dominance. (guys too, this doesn't just apply to females).

i've been taking DIM for five days and my skin is doing amazingly well. my face no longer seems to be over-producing oil. my skin is still on the oily side but at the end of the day i can only fill up one blotting paper. prior to starting the DIM i was using two blotting papers, 2x a day... so four in total. my pores appear more refined and the little bumps/milia on my forehead are calming down. also i haven't gotten a single new zit since i started this stuff.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read up on this. of course i will continue to update about my progress.. but in the meantime please check it out for yourself.

http://www.dimfaq.com/index.htm

http://skincarerx.com/phorum/read.php?3,18273

Three days ago I started a new supplement called DIM (diindolylmethane) which I discovered randomly while scouring the web for info about antioxidants and natural detoxification. DIM is derived from cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, etc.

There have been people posting about success with broccoli pills. Most of us here, however, are more worried about testosterone/DHT, although there could be some that are barking up the wrong hormone.

You should post where they discuss hormone treatments under prescription meds.

okay, but i do feel that this post belongs here in this nutrition/holistic section... after all, it is derived from broccoli and it's a natural supplement which i purchased at whole foods, right alongside my acai and fish oil.

so many dietary and environmental toxins are known hormone disruptors.. it makes perfect sense that there would be a link between environmental/body toxicity and hormonal imbalance... and we've all heard the derms say (dismissively) "oh, acne is hormonal."

as for the testosterone/DHT/androgen issue... although DIM works at detoxifying the "bad" estrogen metabolites, it does promote OVERALL hormonal balance.

Hi, you sound like me... I'm 25 and have all those symptoms. My skin is oily to the touch, but every pore also has sebum in it (whiteheads/blackheads). Do you also have that?

I'm going to watch your posts and see what your results are. I've tried EVERYTHING ...for 12 years now. I just got back from the doctor today about my acne in fact. I was trying to get a referral to an Endocrinoloist... someone who can tell me which hormones are producing too little/much. I've been sniffling most of the day because I'm sick of my face feeling "stiff" with oil. I am tired of friends looking at my complexion when they talk to me (although I understand why they are looking).

So keep us posted on your skin!

how much did you pay for the DIM and where did you get it? thank you ..and im happy that you have found something that works!

I took a supplement with indole-3-carbinol for a few months, and I didn't notice any change. But it sounds like diindolylmethane should be more effective. I do have symptoms of estrogen dominance so I will probably give this a shot.

Ohhh this sounds interesting =] I think I may have estrogen dominance. From what I've read on the web... if a person has too much estrogen, testosterone receptors get blocked and DHT becomes dominant... which makes sense-- more dht=more acne and other problems.

but i thought that andgrogen and testosterone were the main offenders when it comes to hormonal flare ups? can anyone provide me with a link to info on DHT and any info on hormone in terms of acne? thank u guys..

hey guys,

i'm at work so don't have time to write much, and my internet at home is disconnected while we rewire some stuff, BUT i just wanted to say that my skin is still doing great. i haven't had a single cyst since i started thist stuff. i have a few very small pimples on my forehead by my hairline but i'm quite sure that's because i just got my hair colored which can be really irritating. i still have some milia and clogged pores but once again NO cysts and i still feel that my oil production has decreased quite a bit. i'll update again soon and i'll be sure to post any helpful links i find.

hey guys,

i'm at work so don't have time to write much, and my internet at home is disconnected while we rewire some stuff, BUT i just wanted to say that my skin is still doing great. i haven't had a single cyst since i started thist stuff. i have a few very small pimples on my forehead by my hairline but i'm quite sure that's because i just got my hair colored which can be really irritating. i still have some milia and clogged pores but once again NO cysts and i still feel that my oil production has decreased quite a bit. i'll update again soon and i'll be sure to post any helpful links i find.

oh yes pleez do!!

Is the full name of the DIM product Diindolylmetheme?

I've been reading about anti-androgen products (also known as Androgen Antagonists) and two natural (non prescription) products keep popping up: Genistein and DIM.

I just ordered Genistein.

Its odd, in Europe, anti-androgen products are used to treat acne all the time. Here in N. America they hand out antibiotics and a billion other pharmaceutical products. Its taken YEARS of digging on the internet to learn that acne vulgarus is caused by androgens. I think that information should be easily available.

And how many mg's are you taking per day?

I thinking about purchasing Source Natural's on google.

I was reading on all the websites that DIM is an isolated product of broccoli, brussel sprouts and other healthy veggies (except soy) and that males could benefit from it as well.

hey guys,

sorry my internet at home has been messed up for a few days.

so my skin is doing pretty well although my oil production seems to have returned to its usual (somewhat excessive) state. still no cysts. i thought i had two coming on under the skin but they never materialized. i need to keep taking this stuff for a few more weeks so i can see how i do when i get my period. i think that will be really telling.

unfortunately i got my hair done over the weekend and they always get the chemicals all over my forehead so i have a few small zits up toward my hairline but i'm pretty sure that's from the hair dye and conditioning stuff they used on me.

i REALLY want this stuff to work on my non-inflamed acne -- the little bumps all over my forehead -- but so far no real difference there. i think i need to give it more time, like at least a menstrual cycle or two.

oh, and the stuff i'm taking is estrobalance by enzymatic therapy. one a day. i may up it to 2 though.

I take DIM and it works wonders. I stopped taking it for a while and now I am paying the price... really painful period and about seven cysts on my face. Great stuff!

Article applicable to this discussion:

http://nickdelgado.blogspot.com/2007/10/es...one-slowly.html

This guy believes excess 'bad' estrogens are the culprit, not DHT. He's mostly talking about enlarged prostrate, but hair follicles, balding and acne are mentioned.

http://nickdelgado.blogspot.com/

Although, I've experienced a reduction in androgenic hair since taking a pretty high estrogen BCP and DHT blocking Spiro.

Also, this products includes broccoli extract as an ingredient because it 'shifts estrogen to less active metabolites, acts as an androgen receptor antagonist'

http://www.regrowth.com/hairloss-forums/vi...f=5&t=15264

Is the full name of the DIM product Diindolylmetheme?

I've been reading about anti-androgen products (also known as Androgen Antagonists) and two natural (non prescription) products keep popping up: Genistein and DIM.

There's also equol.

I am so confused right now. I am that kind of confused you get just before a major breakthrough, so I would really appreciate anyone's help. I...I can't figure out if I am "estrogen dominant"...I think I am estrogen ?deficient? if there is such a thing. Please bear with me...

When I was in high school, I had terrible monthlies (severe cramps, heavy flow the first 2 days, vomiting, diarrhea, nose bleeds, fever/chills, etc but no moody PMS), believe it or not EVERY month. But my face was CLEAR. Later on, my face broke out (I have tried to attribute it to one thing: stress? food? but couldn't). Gradually, I got easier periods but instead had PMS headaches and moodiness (according to my husband ;) ). Then, I got pregnant and my face was CLEAR. And I had no morning sickness or bad side effects of pregnancy (well I was a bit demanding on poor hubby, call it bossy if you want and had at least one crying fit :cry: ). But I had a pretty pleasant pregnancy actually. From about the last week of pregnancy I got a zit and I've been off-and-on broke out again ever since. So...estrogen dominance can't be causing acne for me if I was clear during pregnancy, right? I mean, estrogen is through the roof in pregnancy, right? I don't think its a matter of the progesterone because I didn't have morning sickness. Anyway, don't want bcp and I'm planning on getting pregnant again soon and hoping I will have the same clear skin benefit a second time, but would like some way of balancing my hormones (if thats the culprit) before and after another pregnancy. Also, I did used to eat broccoli and drink milk every day in high school...maybe?? (grasping straws) Oh, also I took Agnus Castus Vitex for about 4 months this past Autumn to try to balance and it did nothing for me. So...am I estrogen dominant, or deficient? Is there any suggestions out there for me? Looks like anyone who is estrogen dominant may have just found a great addition to the ole arsenal. Good luck.

so according to what i've been reading, estrogen dominance is often accompanied by progesterone deficiency. i'm considering adding a natural bio-identical progesterone cream into my regimen (https://www.emerita.com/pages/menopause/pro-gest.asp?find_category=&find_description=&find_part_desc) to complement my DIM supplementation.

i'm in the second half of my cycle now so i should be starting to PMS. usually when i'm PMSing i get night sweats worthy of a 50 year old woman (i've been getting hormonal night sweats since i was 18). for the past two nights i have sweated but it's been a lot LESS than it usually. so that is promising.

i'll update again soon and pass along any interesting info i come upon.