Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Addie

Trouble with MMU application

When I wear a full-fledged MMU foundation, not just a finishing powder, it always looks caked on and emphasizes my pores, scars, and acne. I think I look much better without it, but would really like to even out my skin tone. I can wear aloe vera gel as a primer, but my skin doesn't seem to tolerate anything else. What am I doing wrong? How do I fix it? (I'm the only one that sees these flaws. Other people say my makeup looks fine.)

I've heard that appropriate moisturizing beforehand will reduce that effect. That's the key to mineral makeup, how moisturized your skin is will definitely make a difference! Oh yeah, and try the finishing powder as a primer as well. By the way is that a Gambian Rat? It's too adorable!!!

Hiya Addie,

I went through a learning curve when I first started with mineral makeup too. You'll be surprised how tiny little tricks can make it apply totally different.

Like aznsunchiq said, moisturizing is pretty important. I know you said your skin doesn't tolerate too much stuff.

One of my tricks is to start with a layer of silk powder (real silk - nothing added). It seems to minimize my pores and other dents and dings. (not erase - but much less noticeable) I apply another layer after the MMU. Gives it a softer finish I think.

Your brush might be a culprit too. Or - how much you load onto your brush. Think ultra light layers of powder. Nothing like finishing powder - this stuff must go on in thin layers or it looks clunky. I've been using a large powder brush to get a lighter look lately - but a nice kabuki style brush is good for getting heavier coverage.

If you're trying to hide anything in particular - go back in with a small brush AFTER the foundation is on - dab a little more foundation (or concealer) on your tiny brush and paint the problem (zit, dark circles, red marks etc).

Before I started applying this way - I used to take my finger and smudge the makeup to make it cover my pores better. This works better if your face has a little bit of natural oil on it.

Just some thoughts - maybe something will help? If not - keep asking - we'll all try to give you more ideas.

Uh, I can think of many reasons why this could be a faulty comparison, but I put makeup on another person the same way I do to myself, and it looked great on them. They have large pores, and it smoothed them over beautifully. When I put MMU on myself, there are suddenly craters and bumps I've never seen before . . .

I don't think I can layer any more moisturizer on than already, but I can look into a finishing powder. I've gotten a couple from EM, but everything seems to run too dark and warm. I've always worried about looking ghostly in straight silk powder, but do you think it'd work if "fair" things tend to be dark?

I'll try smudging now, as my skin isn't peeling off from a retinoid anymore. ;)

I've heard that appropriate moisturizing beforehand will reduce that effect. That's the key to mineral makeup, how moisturized your skin is will definitely make a difference! Oh yeah, and try the finishing powder as a primer as well. By the way is that a Gambian Rat? It's too adorable!!!

Hi Addie, Well, if these suggestions don't work never fear, there must be something else to try. I hope some of the others might chime in with more help.

As for the silk - I'm ghostly white and one of the reasons I like silk is that it doesn't add color. Finishing powders are always too dark for me too. The silk will lighten you just a hair - but not much. It is mostly translucent when you apply it - even though it is white in the container. I don't really think you'll find it whitens you very much at all.

Okay - I'm a rat novice - I only have admired them in pictures but never owned. (can't have pets where I live right now) Can I skew your topic and get you to tell more about what Norway Rats are? She seems so much more teddy-bear like than most pictures of other (already cute) rats. Is that a trait of Norway Rats - or is she just a natural beauty queen? :)

She is adorable, isn't she? I've been treated to tales of the funny things rats do! Poor Addie's been subjected to cat tales (by me). Pets are so wonderful. :D

Addie, are you maybe being too critical with yourself? For me, I find I have a better application if I don't put makeup on right after washing. I let my natural oiliness act as a primer (and of course the glycolic acid products I apply), and don't apply makeup usually for at least half an hour after I wash my face. It's usually longer than that. :) Sometimes I don't apply makeup until halfway through my shift at work.

Ooo, might a flocked sponge help to smooth it a bit better? I don't like how heavy makeup goes on with flocked sponge, but could I kind of soften it with my kabuki?

I usually do apply makeup within an hour or 2 of washing my face. The person I applied it to hadn't washed their face in over 12 hours (just blotted the oil).

Always feel free to hijack my threads with rats. :D

Most rats you see are probably Norway rats. They're the classic pet and lab rats. Over most of the US, they're all the wild rats you see, too. Along the west coast, there are some black rats, though.

The things I can see making Raisa (the rat in question) look more teddy bear-like in that picture are how petite she is, her dumbo ears, and her mood:

She had a late growth spurt, so she was a fairly small 285 g in that picture (1st b-day party) and still had kind of a baby shape, but when she hit her high weight at around 2 years she was a pretty large 587 g with a quite womanly belly (squishy!).

Norway pet rats (lab, too) come with 2 sorts of ears. Standard ears are dominant, so a lot of the pet rats you see and pretty much all of the wild rats you see have them. They're located high on the rat's head and are more narrow. Dumbo ears, like Raisa's, are rotated down towards the sides of the head and are wider. They greatly add to the "puppy dog" effect when the rat is begging, which I think is their main purpose (;) ).

It's hard to describe exactly how to tell rat emotions, but it involves fur, stance, facial expression, and smell. Teddy bear-like = happy, content. Raisa's favorite ice cream was coffee ice cream, and that's what used to be on my hand . . . (On the smell thing, female rats smell like grape Jolly Ranchers when they're happy. I've never had male rats, but I hear they smell like corn chips.)

So if you want your very own teddy bears, I recommend you get a couple of small-ish female rats (males get pretty large) with dumbo ears and keep them in a state of blissful happiness their entire lives. :)

Wynne suggested this on another thread and I like her idea. It worked for me. Apply your moisturizer, let it dry for Id say thirty minutes to forty five minutes, apply the concealer to your whole face using your brush (I use the everyday minerals kabuki brush which is cute to boot), and then finally, apply the mineral foundation. It works :)

Don't feel bad. :comfort:

I've almost entirely given up on MMU. It makes me crazy. Even when I get it to look great before I leave the house, later on I'll be able to see every flake of skin, & every pore. Worse yet, it settles into fine lines on my forehead, & I'm really not all that wrinkled for my age.

So far, I've tried lotion, water, & sunscreen.. Using a primer helped at first, but I got the same delayed effects from it. The silk powder always mixes with the oils on my skin and ends up looking pasty later.

Maybe it just isn't for everyone? :doubt:

Your rat would love me too Addie! Coffee ice cream (especially Double Rainbow which is a San Franciscian ice cream company) is one of my favorite flavors of ice cream :wub:

I've almost entirely given up on MMU. It makes me crazy. Even when I get it to look great before I leave the house, later on I'll be able to see every flake of skin, & every pore. Worse yet, it settles into fine lines on my forehead, & I'm really not all that wrinkled for my age.

So far, I've tried lotion, water, & sunscreen.. Using a primer helped at first, but I got the same delayed effects from it. The silk powder always mixes with the oils on my skin and ends up looking pasty later.

Do you think it's because you're especially greasy, Dee? That's the only really unique thing about me, besides colors tending to run dark, I can think of . . . But liquid makeup doesn't tend to be much better and always makes me itchy. :shrug:

Hey, I can try that today, Molly. Thanks!

What are your feelings about rat kisses, Molly? Because if I had flown her to San Francisco for you to feed her coffee ice cream, you'd be getting a lot of those. :) We got a small coffee ice cream cake just for her on her 3rd birthday (her sister passed on by then). She knew it was hers and hers alone and nobody else was touching it. So cute. :D (She did not eat the whole thing.)

Edit: The beret you're wearing in your avatar is adorable!

Do you think it's because you're especially greasy, Dee? That's the only really unique thing about me, besides colors tending to run dark, I can think of . . . But liquid makeup doesn't tend to be much better and always makes me itchy. :shrug:

Hey, I can try that today, Molly. Thanks!

What are your feelings about rat kisses, Molly? Because if I had flown her to San Francisco for you to feed her coffee ice cream, you'd be getting a lot of those. :) We got a small coffee ice cream cake just for her on her 3rd birthday (her sister passed on by then). She knew it was hers and hers alone and nobody else was touching it. So cute. :D (She did not eat the whole thing.)

Edit: The beret you're wearing in your avatar is adorable!

Oh. :( I'm sorry to hear that. What makeup do you currently use and like? Is there one particular one you've found that works consistently for you? For me, as I'm so oily, the intensive is the best formulation and texture of any makeup I've ever found. Liquid makeup would just run right off me.

If you're less oily, perhaps a liquid mineral makeup would work better. I admit that I cheat on EDM with Physician's Formula Liquid Mineral makeup. :shifty: I can't stand Colorstay. It just does not work for my skin and the smell is horrid.

Well, I can't try any of your guys' fancy, schmancy tricks today, because my acne is a little too sore to go touching it, and there's something in the back (that I can't even find) that just won't stop bleeding. Blood on brushes = Eeeww. Oh, well. But, I'll definitely try them soon! :)

She is adorable, isn't she? I've been treated to tales of the funny things rats do! Poor Addie's been subjected to cat tales (by me). Pets are so wonderful. :D

(snipped)

Thanks, Addie! I never knew what Dumbo Rats were - but had heard the term. It really does make them look like Teddy Bears, I think. I did some googling after I read your post - and someone said they think Dumbos might be a tad more cuddly due to selection etc - and they sometimes have a blockier body - all which makes them sound even more appealing. :)

Well, you've done it now, I've added Dumbo Rat girl to my list of "must have" when I can have pets again. List includes: lap dog, herding dog, house rabbit, male singing canary, (outdoors: my horse, hens & ducks) and now ... a dumbo rat. :) Sounds like a motley little group. lol.

(snipped)

Always feel free to hijack my threads with rats. :D

Most rats you see are probably Norway rats. They're the classic pet and lab rats. Over most of the US, they're all the wild rats you see, too. Along the west coast, there are some black rats, though.

The things I can see making Raisa (the rat in question) look more teddy bear-like in that picture are how petite she is, her dumbo ears, and her mood:

She had a late growth spurt, so she was a fairly small 285 g in that picture (1st b-day party) and still had kind of a baby shape, but when she hit her high weight at around 2 years she was a pretty large 587 g with a quite womanly belly (squishy!).

Norway pet rats (lab, too) come with 2 sorts of ears. Standard ears are dominant, so a lot of the pet rats you see and pretty much all of the wild rats you see have them. They're located high on the rat's head and are more narrow. Dumbo ears, like Raisa's, are rotated down towards the sides of the head and are wider. They greatly add to the "puppy dog" effect when the rat is begging, which I think is their main purpose (;) ).

It's hard to describe exactly how to tell rat emotions, but it involves fur, stance, facial expression, and smell. Teddy bear-like = happy, content. Raisa's favorite ice cream was coffee ice cream, and that's what used to be on my hand . . . (On the smell thing, female rats smell like grape Jolly Ranchers when they're happy. I've never had male rats, but I hear they smell like corn chips.)

So if you want your very own teddy bears, I recommend you get a couple of small-ish female rats (males get pretty large) with dumbo ears and keep them in a state of blissful happiness their entire lives. :)

Yep, a mottley little group. :)

I'm not sure if I buy the standard vs. dumbo ear behavior difference. I'd think how they were raised and how their humans treat them now would have a larger impact, but I've also never had a standard ear, either.

You should get 2 (or more) girls! :) Twice the kisses and cuteness. :D Actually, rats are really social and are happier in groups. And then they only cost about $8 a pop . . .

Have you run into Rat's Rule! in your internet searching? There's a lot of good info there.

Edit: I wanted to add that boys tend to be cuddlier than girls. Boys will be more likely to just lay on your lap while you pet them, while girls will be more likely to go off exploring and just come back to you for quick pets. Girls can be hyper, but they mellow out with age. All that said, Raisa was a cuddler. Her sister was the explorer.

I just had to add that if you want a REAL menagerie, you need to include a reptile of some kind like my little baby bearded dragon Pheeny (who I just added to my avatar!). She is the best pet I've ever had...

I just had to add that if you want a REAL menagerie, you need to include a reptile of some kind like my little baby bearded dragon Pheeny (who I just added to my avatar!). She is the best pet I've ever had...

Don't worry Addie, she doesn't eat anything bigger than worms/bugs.

And yes, Wynne, she LOVES to be held and petted. She closes her eyes in contentment when I hit a good spot. She sleeps wrapped up in a fleece blanket I made for her, in a little cat bed next to my bed. She is diurnal (like us) so she sleeps soundly all night long and I wake her up when I get up.