Notifications
Clear all

Deviated Septum surgery(rhinoplasty) after Accutane

MemberMember
(@albert89)

Posted : 02/02/2008 12:23 am

Hi guys, how long should I wait to have surgery on my nose. I do not want to get any scars. Any suggestions? Thanks.

ALBERT

MemberMember
(@joe1985)

Posted : 02/02/2008 7:56 am

ooh Im interested in this too, you aint in the UK are you?

MemberMember
(@brenda13)

Posted : 02/02/2008 8:03 am

ooh Im interested in this too, you aint in the UK are you?
MemberMember
(@blonde_boy)

Posted : 02/02/2008 10:29 pm

i want

rhinoplasty after accutane too, and microdermbrasion skin resurfacing,

im extremely shy, right, so i found this cosmetic/plastic surgeon website. although they are based in another state

they will still all know the information i needed apparently it has to be 6-8 months after your last tablet

before you can be even considered. then you have to have a consolidation where they will evaluate if your eligible

skin wise . but after 10 montshs ur allowed no questions asked. i want rhinoplasty to remove the bump on my nose.

and the skin resurfacing to remove scars, and even skin tone completely so it looks like i have the most amazingly clearest skin ever

MemberMember
(@albert89)

Posted : 02/03/2008 11:25 pm

Do you think 2 years is enough? I read online somewhere that patients who had the rhinoplasty and then got on accutane 2 years later, their nose job got all messed up. Thats why I'm scared........

MemberMember
(@zrbx)

Posted : 02/04/2008 12:58 am

hey.

I did one otoplasty 7 months after tane, all went fine.

The minimum time is 6 months you know.

dont risk a hypertrofic scar just because you didnt wait

:)

MemberMember
(@albert89)

Posted : 02/04/2008 7:17 pm

hey.

MemberMember
(@elizabethmargot)

Posted : 02/22/2008 12:05 pm

hey.

whew! ok. so if i wait 1 year, theres no risk at all that accutane will make me heal up differently? I dont want to come out worse,

MemberMember
(@novembershadow)

Posted : 02/22/2008 6:02 pm

I've been looking at various surgeon's sites and it seems the norm is 6 months post-tane is the norm for any surgery that involves cutting/shaping bone..e.g. rhinoplasty, cheek implant, chin implant. The main problems that occur if you don't wait long enough are abnormal bone calcification, poor bone healing, and scarring at the incision site, as well as possible infection from your skin just not healing fast enough. Most of the sites seem to think 6 months is an adequate amount of time to wait for facial plastic surgeries (treatments of the skin like dermabrasion are different, and possibly require a longer wait). I think I saw one surgeon who would not perform rhinoplasty or facial implants for 2 years after accutane, but almost all the websites I saw said '6 months or sometimes longer'.

If you are getting weird bone or joint pain or excessive stiffness post-tane after 6 months, I'd be concerned that your healing is still affected, but if you feel pretty much normal, than 6 months seems to be about standard. I'm sure a plastic surgeon would be able to tell you the risks/contraindications, etc.

MemberMember
(@praisethelordforacnenot)

Posted : 02/21/2009 7:54 am

Is there anybody on this site that has had a rhinoplasty after accutane? It seems to to not be a good idea...gives "nasal tip deformities"...I wonder how big the risks are, I really want to remove a bump on my nose.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/n768k6002q40g923/

"Background This study aimed to evaluate the association between the postoperative use of isotretinoin and the formation of nasal tip deformities after rhinoplasty.

Methods A retrospective study investigated a case series of patients who presented with nasal tip deformities subsequent to the use of isotretinoin after rhinoplasty. Patients who had taken isotretinoin after rhinoplasty were identified from a single surgeonas case log. Clinic charts and operative reports were reviewed. Predisposing factors and time intervals to complications were identified.

Results Three patients were found to have undergone isotretinoin therapy after rhinoplasty. Nasal tip deformities included bossa formation, asymmetry, and prominence of a composite graft. All three patients required subsequent procedures to repair soft tissue nasal tip deformities. In all three cases, isotretinoin was started within 2 years of the primary rhinoplasty. The nasal tip deformities were first observed within 6 months after isotretinoin was started.

Conclusions Three cases are described in which postoperative use of isotretinoin was associated with nasal tip deformities after rhinoplasty. Further studies are needed to investigate this possible causative relationship and to describe the risks involved."

MemberMember
(@bubbly_girl)

Posted : 02/26/2010 1:20 am

What about liposuction after accutane?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/01/2010 12:41 pm

I'm so glad someone else is asking this. I'm currently on Accutane and wanting a rhinoplasty. I was going to wait until 3-6 months post treatment, then read about the study linking nasal tip deformities to isotretinoin. My problem with that study is that all three patients came from the same surgeon. Maybe the surgeon did/does bad work?? I don't know, I would definitely want to see more info on that.

I'm scheduled to meet with a plastic surgeon this week who actually seems to want to do the surgery while I'm ON accutane. That seems a little crazy to me, but here's what he e-mailed me...

By David C. Pearson, MD - Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Actually, there is some science behind Accutane (systemic isotretinoin) and wound healing. Contrary to the opinions of some of my colleagues, this has been studied in several instances and is published in the literature. Here's what we know SCIENTIFICALLY:

1) Accutane can profoundly delay re-epithelialization after resurfacing procedures (peels, dermabrasion, laser). Patients should be free of the medicine for 6 months first.

2) Accutane does NOT significantly affect:

* Scar formation

* Collagen formation

* Final appearance of the scar

* Platelet aggregation (clotting)

* Peripheral vascular occlusion (blood flow)

3) Accutane does seem to inhibit wound contraction on open wounds left to heal by secondary intention, but this effect is gone within a week after discontinuing the medication.

If you really want to be compulsive, there's no harm in waiting, but there's no science that supports waiting 6-12 months to proceed with rhinoplasty (or revision rhinoplasty).

--DCP

For reference:

*J Dermatol Surg Oncol. 1990 Dec;16(12):1142-6. Systemic isotretinoin: effects on dermal wound healing in a rabbit ear model in vivo.

*J Dermatol Sci. 1992 May;3(3):157-62. Effects of retinoids on endothelial cell proliferation, prostacyclin production and platelet aggregation.

*Plast Reconstr Surg. 1989 Jan;83(1):118-21. The effect of systemic isotretinoin on wound contraction in guinea pigs.

I'd still like to hear from a few people who had a rhinoplasty after or between courses of Accutane and see what their personal experience was.

MemberMember
(@lukestriker)

Posted : 09/16/2011 1:06 pm

I'd still like to hear from a few people who had a rhinoplasty after or between courses of Accutane and see what their personal experience was.

I did my nose in Korea barely 3 months after I was off accutane. I might be the exception but my healing went very well. I was able to breathe on the 4th day and took off my cast on the 5th day, taped it for an additional two days. The bruises were completely gone by the 8th day. I'm two weeks in and I'm very happy with the results. The areas around the incisions are slightly red, but I'm very fair to begin with, and it should fade in time.

The only setback I'm suffering from is that the swelling pushed excess sebum to the surface so for the first time since accutane I'm seeing some whiteheads!

I was quite worried about the distance to be honest. I'm Chinese-Japanese and didn't want the Caucasian features American doctors kept recommending, so I decided to have it done in Korea. Now my mind is at ease.

But does anyone know if its okay to take topical isotretinoin (0.05%) after surgery?

MemberMember
(@fainbeets)

Posted : 07/19/2013 1:31 am

I am current on Accutane, and was scheduled for a rhinoplasty earlier today. I arrived at the hospital, went through all of the procedures, had my IV put in, and even spoke to the anesthesiologist about being ready to be put out, when my surgeon came in and said she wanted to consult with someone before the surgery was done.

I have been on Accutane for the past 6 months (has not worked at all for me, unfortunately), and we had talked about it with the surgeon originally, but she saw no problem with it. She came back in and said we could not do the surgery, because I needed to be off the Accutane for 6 months before the surgery could be done. Im glad she check, and she felt very sorry that I had gone through all of this to be told it couldn't be done at the last minute. She consulted with another surgeon as well as 2 different dermatologists. She is a great doctor, and does a great job, but I guess had never had to perform this operation on a patient on Accutane. Im glad she checked. Better safe than sorry.

Definitely speak to your doctor/surgeon about it. You should also mention it to the dermatologist that you are seeing. I was told that to be safe I needed to wait 6 months after Accutane treatment ended.

Hope this helps :) It was incredibly inconvenient for me and I wish I would have looked online earlier. But done is done, so I just have to wait now.