Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pigsweeper

Prescription medicine and holistic health

Hey everyone. I read this forum all the time and a lot of you are very knowledgeable about this stuff, thanks for all your answers.

Anyways, I eat pretty healthy. I don't avoid foods that cause acne (gluten dairy wheat etc) but I eat just healthy for my body (no soda, lots of water, fruits vegetables, lean meats). I agree with a lot of the holistic ideas that people talk about on this forum, but I was not sure what to do about my prescription medicine. I take 100mg of minocyclin twice a day. I use to use duac (5% bp) every day and retin-a micro every night. Now I just take the minocyclin twice a day and use the 5%bp a couple times a week. Duac and retin a worked better when I did it every day, but it was too drying for my skin (got very red).

My skin is 90-95% clear right now, but to clear up the rest what would you suggest I do to improve this? Do I stop taking minocyclin and using BP? Would that help me holistically? Or do I start removing those certain foods that people claim causes their acne? Any advice I would really appreciate. My instinct would be to stop minocyclin because that might help me internally.

How long have you been on mino? Its generally not good to be on antibiotic for long term. At the same time, you should finish all of the minocycline that is prescribed to you. Afterwards, you can consult with your doctor. Stopping minocycline mid way can produce antibiotic resistant bacteria.

But if your acne is improving because of the prescription meds, then I suggest you follow your doctors orders.

Probably eat pro biotic yogurt which replenishes the good bacteria which is also destroyed by mino.

I've been on mino for 3 years now. I have been taking it once a day now instead of twice. Stopped duac and retin a now because my face is too sensitive now (anyone know why?).

Do you guys think I should continue to take mino with my new diet or just stop it all together?

I've been on mino for 3 years now. I have been taking it once a day now instead of twice. Stopped duac and retin a now because my face is too sensitive now (anyone know why?).

Do you guys think I should continue to take mino with my new diet or just stop it all together?

Do not stop mino all at once. Taper it down slowly. Moving to once a day is a very good first step. Continue to do that for at least two weeks, preferably a whole month. Then reduce to every other day for at least two weeks, then every three days for at least two weeks, until you're taking one mino once a week (twice, or two weeks) then stop. If one abruptly discontinues an antibiotic like mino or doxy that one has been on long term the bacteria has a fiesta on your face; you may experience an acne bloom/flare. These are the directions my doctor gave me for stopping doxy.

It is very smart of you to stop taking the antibiotics as they do interfere with your intestinal flora and may have long-term consequences we are not fully aware of yet. Minocycline and doxycycline are less used for illnesses other than acne. They generally aren't prescribed for UTIs, URIs, etc. So bacterial resistance of scary organisms is not as likely with mino and doxy, but it can happen! Longer term use increases the risk of resistance.

The Retin A provides exfoliation and helps change the structure of your skin and can help minimize scarring and reduce red marks. The Duac provides the antibacterial topical that some people need for inflammatory acne. Retin A should be applied half an hour after washing or the irritation will increase! It is ok to moisturize while using Retin A; I would sometimes apply a light bit of moisturizer half an hour before retin a, or vice versa. Check with your pharmacist for the proper technique.

As far as holistic methods go, you'll want to determine which foods are your own personal triggers. Perhaps keep a notebook or a daily journal log of your food intake and see if you can trend which foods are your triggers. Stress also has a great deal to do with acne! There are many marvelous thread here about supplements that people find helpful. You'll definitely want to check into the Omega 3's, zinc, vitamin C, etc!

If you have primarily inflammatory acne, do check out some of the threads that discuss foods that help fight the inflammatory response.

I am not as familiar with people's suggestions for comedonal acne, fought holistically, but immediately apple cider vinegar comes to mind, both applied externally (DILUTED!!!) and taken internally. Be careful of your teeth enamel.

Some people find that their acne triggers are something they'd never expect: alternativista discovered that her trigger is oranges! She cleared up completely with only holistic methods. Do check out the holistically clear club; some fascinating stories and regimens there. There is some great reading on this board; have fun and welcome!