Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
User47728

Maple Syrup

I was wondering why I seem able to eat maple syrup with no problem. Previously I had done a quick search and thought that the sugars in maple syrup was mostly sucrose, so it would have 1/2 glucose and 1/2 fructose. But the last two days I ate french toast for breakfast and it didn't break me out, so I had to get more information on the sugar profile. I just found this: http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/sugarprof.pdf

It seems grade A dark, and Fancy grade maple syrups have a 5.3+/-1.9 and 5.6+/-1.3 ratios respectively. That means there's over 5 times (plus or minus 1.5 and 1.3 respectively) as much glucose as there is fructose. This makes sense to me as to why I seem to be able to drink a regular red bull with no break out either. Regular Red Bull has added pure glucose as an ingredient, so the glucose/fructose ratio is much more toward the glucose side.

It's just a theory, but seems pretty consistent with which foods I find can and cannot eat, so I just thought I'd mention it. Anyone else find that regular red bull and maple syrup (high grade maple syrup, not the corn-syrup-based crap many companies sell) do not make them break out?

I wonder if cutting table sugar 1/2 and 1/2 with dextrose would work as a means of preventing breakouts, in cases where you would have ordinarily just used regular sugar? Just curious...

Yummm that would be great to be able to eat this and not worry over much. How could you tell if the syrup is grade A? Would the ingredients be different.? I know the cheaper kinds will say HFCS, but the grade A would not?

Yummm that would be great to be able to eat this and not worry over much. How could you tell if the syrup is grade A? Would the ingredients be different.? I know the cheaper kinds will say HFCS, but the grade A would not?

Real maple syrup is always pure maple syrup with no other ingredients. I don't know what other factors influence grade, but it will say what grade it is on the front of the bottle. You have to look for a maple syrup first of all that says "100% Pure", that way you'll know it's not corn syrup based crap, lol. The one I have I got at Costco.

It would be very cool if there was a sweetener that didn't break people out (other than xylitol, which I like, but doesn't work so well on french toast, lol)

For the record, I still think low sugar is necessary to clear acne, I'd hate for someone to be seeing success with the low fructose/sugar/carb diet, and then get a breakout from gorging on maple syrup, lol But it would be interesting to know if anyone else had noticed this effect of maple syrup.

I can eat low carb atkins chocolate bars (one a day max) and not break out (2 g sugar), and i know theres atkins maple syrup but you'd have to check out the sugar in that. I'm not saying it's healthy, i don't really think adding high sugar syrups to your acne friendly diet is a good thing - it'd be better to add something more nutritional that brings along it's own sugar (unless you were just after that sugar rush).

My advice - spend your sugar ration wisely and enjoy better whole foods/meals rather than sickly sweet toppings :).

I can eat low carb atkins chocolate bars (one a day max) and not break out (2 g sugar), and i know theres atkins maple syrup but you'd have to check out the sugar in that. I'm not saying it's healthy, i don't really think adding high sugar syrups to your acne friendly diet is a good thing - it'd be better to add something more nutritional that brings along it's own sugar (unless you were just after that sugar rush).

My advice - spend your sugar ration wisely and enjoy better whole foods/meals rather than sickly sweet toppings :).

Yeah, you're probably right. It would just be nice if there was an acne friendly sweetener. It is possible the French toast just hasn't caught up with me yet, or that the Taurine is improving my sugar sensitivity. I'll just stick with my xylitol for now :)

Yeah, you're probably right. It would just be nice if there was an acne friendly sweetener. It is possible the French toast just hasn't caught up with me yet, or that the Taurine is improving my sugar sensitivity. I'll just stick with my xylitol for now :)

Lili have you checked for fructose intolerance or some form of impaired fructose metabolism?

I find your post interesting but I'm an acne suffered too and fructose has never triggered my acne. When I feel like taking a digestive rest I often eat nothing but fruits for a day but I also remember when my mother would buy fructose instead of table sugar (because it's sweeter and you use less) and while it's not something I would consume nowadays my acne has never been affected by putting fructose in the milk, cereals, chocholate, cakes instead of sucrose.

I never said fructose on a meal-by-meal basis would cause acne, but a high fructose diet over a period of time (for most people, a lifetime) causes damage to sugar metabolism, which is why diabetes is such a problem in this country. Anyways, the ratio thing was just a question, but from what people have posted it doesn't seem consistent enough to say that foods of x sugar ratio are ok to eat. I just believe that fructose consumption impairs glucose metabolism in general. Some people do have fructose intolerance, which is a different problem, of the digestive system not being able to break down fructose. It is possible that fructose intolerance could contribute to acne on it's own by disrupting digestion, but that's a different subject. That's more a digestive issue than a blood sugar issue.

Can't comment on the syrup because I don't like sweet things for breakfast so it's not an issue for me, but regular red bull definitely doesn't break me out. I drank at least ten cans within the span of one week while waiting for my next shipment to arrive (wow, I sound like a drug addict :ninja: ), and there were no problems. I had a can yesterday just because. No adverse effects.

I also noticed that after eating sugary things I have a "down" about an hour after eating them. I get terribly hungry to the point where my head spins if I don't eat something immediately. I have that with cola, cookies, anything with sugar. But I don't have that effect with red bull. Maybe it's because of the glucose, or maybe because it has a digestive enzyme in it?

By the way, when is your holistic/diet/taurine website going up? I'm looking forward to it big time!

Can't comment on the syrup because I don't like sweet things for breakfast so it's not an issue for me, but regular red bull definitely doesn't break me out. I drank at least ten cans within the span of one week while waiting for my next shipment to arrive (wow, I sound like a drug addict :ninja: ), and there were no problems. I had a can yesterday just because. No adverse effects.

I also noticed that after eating sugary things I have a "down" about an hour after eating them. I get terribly hungry to the point where my head spins if I don't eat something immediately. I have that with cola, cookies, anything with sugar. But I don't have that effect with red bull. Maybe it's because of the glucose, or maybe because it has a digestive enzyme in it?

By the way, when is your holistic/diet/taurine website going up? I'm looking forward to it big time!