Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Odaniv

Blepharitis and Accutane

Well,

I went to the optomologist the other day because I've been needed glasses. After he checked out my eyes he informed me that I have blepharitis. Apparently he sees it in his accutane patients ( i am on accutane by the way) a lot. He also said that for some it gets severe enough to make them stop accutane. But he tells me that mine is not severe. I was prescribed some ointment in the eye and im supposed to scrub my eyelashes with baby shampoo in the morning after i shower.

A lot of of people on accutane don't know they have this but for those of you who do.... got any experience with it? I want to make sure that it doesn't get severe.

interesting.

you scare me with that term.

try using something like

Blepharitis /ˌblɛ.fɚˈɑɪ̯.tɪs/ is inflammation of the eyelids.

so people don't panic over.

i thought i was losing my sight. wth.

as for me, been 1 month and normal dryness, i can handle it for now.

Hopefully I can shed some light on this. I'm a librarian in a U.S. school of optometry, and have access to medical books, dictionaries and atlases.

According to "Dictionary of Visual Science and Related Clinical Terms," 5th ed., by Hofstetter, Griffin, Berman and Everson: blepharitis - Any inflammation of the eyelid without reference to any particular part of the eyelid, but commonly meaning the margin.

And according to "Duane's Clinical Ophthalmology," v. 4, ch. 22: Blepharitis, or inflammation of the eyelid, is the most frequently encountered ocular disease.

I hope this helps. I know it doesn't say a whole lot, but it does get rid of the "ewwww" factor ;) And the fact that it's the most frequently encountered ocular disease is comforting. I'm not sure it's actually a "disease" since it's labeled as "inflammation." I could have included more from the Duane's source, but it's all written in medical jargon and not lay terms. I'm not sure I would be able to translate it correctly for you since I'm not a doctor.

I'm trying to clear mine by taking biotin,bilberry extract and flax seed oil. As well as warm compresses, scrubbing my eyelids with baby shampoo twice a day and a steroid cream the doctor prescribed.

I've done a little reading on it and most people will say it's chronic, but i've read a ton of stories of people using castor oil to get rid of it for good.

When posting the medical information yesterday, I neglected to post this disclaimer....

Please do not interpret the "eye" information I provide as professional medical advice. I'm not a doctor, but I do have access to all sorts of clinical information on conditions of the eye. I will always quote my information source for reference in case anybody would like to follow up.

I have also been diagnosed with blepharitis. Several MD's have told me that Accutane tends to cause this in people and one doctor told me he has NEVER seen it be a permanent side effect, which is promising.

I have been dealing with dry eye resulting from blepharitis for over three years now, and although it has gotten much better than when I was on Accutane, it has been a very slow process.

If anyone else has experienced this for an extended period of time and eventually gotten better, please post your experience.

i think the biotin has definetly helped in the past three weeks of taking it. I have noticed some improvement. It is giving me pimples everyday though and they are big ones.. I know forsure its the biotin that's causing them.. came off of it for a week and they went away.

hey i got this too! i had to get glasses because ive been wearing contacts for many years and he told me to rub baby shampoo on my eyelids. he gave me drops to use to calm them down but ive stopped taking them as directed and now just wear glasses on the weekends to give me eyes a break.