Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
soul78

Everyday and household chemicals

So I am turning a new Leaf this year, I have been interested in Ayurvedic healing, and Natural/Holistic lifestyles for some time now and have decided to put things into action.

Mind you I am on low dose Accutane but am hoping to get off soon and lead a lot more Natural and Holistic Lifestyle.

Question to some of you - how much of a factor do you feel household and everyday chemicals play in the condition of our skin?

I am in the process of replacing all of my current soaps, moisturizers, shampoo, hand cream etc. with Natural products. Here is a great site for anyone interested: www.burtsbees.com I was able to replace all necessities for around $60 (good prices on this site).

My next step is replacing toothpaste, laundry detergent and household cleaning agents.

I am also doing my diet over and limiting refined sugars, saturated fats and red meat once or twice a weak and (Chicken and fish instead) as well as plenty of fresh fruits (vegetable and bannana smoothie in the am, raw broccoli with lunch, green vegetable with dinner and fresh grapes in the evening). Drinking 2 cups of organic green tea daily as well.

What are your thoughts on Soy Protein in shake form?

Also, do those of you who lead a Holistic and Natural lifestyle/diet ever cheat? Do you ever have say, one day every couple of weeks where you have a Big Mac or slice of Chocolate Cake? Or do you cut it all out completely?

Any thoughts on my regimen or suggestions welcome...I look forward to your replies.

Thanks

Many on this forum have found red meat and more saturated fat helped their skin a lot, so I wouldn't necessarily cut that out. I would avoid most vegetable oils though, they go rancid quickly. Olive oil is the major exception because it's not high in polyunsaturated fats.

Doesn't Burt's Bees put bees wax in just about everything? I'd think those would be comedogenic for people with acne...?

I'm looking for a natural toothpaste too. I may just make my own though, it seems kind of hard to find one that isn't fluorodated, and doesn't use some variation on sodium laural/laureth sulfate.

Laundry detergents can give some people problems, I'd definitely look into a more natural solution. Also, fabric softener sheets contain wax so it's commonly recommended for people with acne not to use them.

Many on this forum have found red meat and more saturated fat helped their skin a lot, so I wouldn't necessarily cut that out. I would avoid most vegetable oils though, they go rancid quickly. Olive oil is the major exception because it's not high in polyunsaturated fats.

Doesn't Burt's Bees put bees wax in just about everything? I'd think those would be comedogenic for people with acne...?

I'm looking for a natural toothpaste too. I may just make my own though, it seems kind of hard to find one that isn't fluorodated, and doesn't use some variation on sodium laural/laureth sulfate.

Laundry detergents can give some people problems, I'd definitely look into a more natural solution. Also, fabric softener sheets contain wax so it's commonly recommended for people with acne not to use them.

Thanks for the info. They only use wax in their lip balms mainly, not every product. These products I replaced are for my body so far. I am still researching and shopping for Facial soaps and facial moisturizers to replace my cetaphils with.

Dr Bronner's Magic soap is a good all-round cleaner. You can use it on your body, for your clothes, as a household cleaner, and even as a toothpaste. Their website is http://www.drbronner.com and their FAQ section has a page on the different uses and how to dilute for uses http://www.drbronner.com/drb_faq_6.html.

Baking soda makes a great cleaner and toothpaste. You can use it on your counters and stovetop. People use it to exfoliate their face a couple times a week. I use it instead of shampoo. I mix about 1/4 cup with 26 oz of warm water. Pour that over my head, covering my hair evenly. Let it sit, or massage my scalp for a couple minutes, then rinse.

Vinegar is another great cleaner, especially on glass and mirrors.

Dr Bronner's Magic soap is a good all-round cleaner. You can use it on your body, for your clothes, as a household cleaner, and even as a toothpaste. Their website is http://www.drbronner.com and their FAQ section has a page on the different uses and how to dilute for uses http://www.drbronner.com/drb_faq_6.html.

Baking soda makes a great cleaner and toothpaste. You can use it on your counters and stovetop. People use it to exfoliate their face a couple times a week. I use it instead of shampoo. I mix about 1/4 cup with 26 oz of warm water. Pour that over my head, covering my hair evenly. Let it sit, or massage my scalp for a couple minutes, then rinse.

Hey there, thanks for the info. Great results by the way. What is your diet like along with this natural product regimen?

Vinegar is supposed to be really good and natural cleaner for hair,,

And it really gets rid of any dandruff too, plus the smell goes away when it dries :P

Hey there, thanks for the info. Great results by the way. What is your diet like along with this natural product regimen?

Check out the blog I wrote today, with even more natural household helpers.

My diet is not super-restricted, but relies on moderation. I use organic milk, coconut oil, meat and veggies meanever possible. I drink caffeine. Eat sugar and chocolate. My typical day would be 2 cups of coffee, a fruit and veggie shake, a small late lunch usually with leftovers from the night before, a regular dinner, and a piece of chocolate to round out the day. Usually at least 64 oz of spring water a day (never fluorinated tap water). The big turn-around was when I stopped using chemicals on my skin. The same chemicals that I had been convinced for 10 years that I could not do without and had tried to stop using numerous times.

I don't eat a lot of processed food, or food with preservatives, and no soybecause of my thyroid.